News Intel's CPU instability and crashing issues also impact mainstream 65W and higher 'non-K' models — damage is irreversible, no planned recall

rluker5

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2014
It should be noted that not all crashing is due to high voltage induced degradation. Or else we would not even know what the blue screen of death is.

And not all high voltage is due solely to CPU requests as motherboards choose what voltage to send to the CPU. Any auto OC feature will deny the CPU request and send what the motherboard thinks is best.

salgado18

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
Intel looks like the bad guy who pushed his machine too hard trying to beat the hero (or win the race, or whatever). "AMD is getting ahead, we need more power!" "But sir..."

(I'm not calling Intel the bad guy, just comparing the anecdote)

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
This answers the question I had, specifically being was it only the high end K skew, or all. This is super unfortunate for anyone that has Intel 12-14th gen chips. The other aspect of this is now, how long do we wait to see what happens with 15th gen? A thing like this just being smoothed over for a year and a half + surely isn't going to leave me confident in buying Intel replacement/upgrade for years to come at this point.

I suppose that many of us will have to take a wait and see attitude. If there is some method upon which we can know for fact that it is a 'post-problem' chip it may make them a relevant choice again. Personally sort of ticks me off since I went with a 12th gen chip which are priced quite attractively right now with the future plan to be to update into a 14th gen a couple of years from now.

65W base TDP or actual power draw? If the former, why? Is this the cutoff for Thermal Velocity Boost? The claim that mobile chips are not affected seems to support TVB still being the issue since they don't seem to support it. My 13900HX does not list TVB as supported, only Turbo Boost Max 3.0 (Which I disabled. Temps are down and performance is the....same). Perhaps TVB is where the errant algorithm lies? Enquiring minds (and stakeholders) want to know! Considering how much they've bungled this whole mess up they need to issue a clear, concise statement on which chips are affected with batch numbers etc etc. Stick a sock in the mealy mouths of anyone with an MBA and issue a limited recall.

endocine

Honorable
Aug 27, 2018
This impacts all RL And RLr CPUs, with no "fix" of dubious quality until august, they put a stop sale on existing CPUs, damage is permanent and irreversible, and they aren't doing a recall? Where is the FTC or other similar government agencies stepping in on behalf of the consumer? Really, intel, do you expect anyone to knowingly choose to buy another CPU from you again?

parkerthon

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
When Zen 3 was released I went to AMD first time in a very long time. Felt the overall responsiveness of system was “eh”. Then back with 12th gen Intel. The way Intel is handling this debacle though has me questioning why I would buy another CPU from them. It’s not just the fact there are issues with their chips, it’s that they degrade and become unstable over time which can be very hard to isolate. No way do I want to deal with something like that. Combine that with them running hotter as well and I will take stability and reliability over speed any day. Unless AMD has its own moment like this with its next gen, then next four years minimum will likely be all AMD builds for me. Shame, I’d much rather give my money to a US company.

When Zen 3 was released I went to AMD first time in a very long time. Felt the overall responsiveness of system was “eh”. Then back with 12th gen Intel. The way Intel is handling this debacle though has me questioning why I would buy another CPU from them. It’s not just the fact there are issues with their chips, it’s that they degrade and become unstable over time which can be very hard to isolate. No way do I want to deal with something like that. Combine that with them running hotter as well and I will take stability and reliability over speed any day. Unless AMD has its own moment like this with its next gen, then next four years minimum will likely be all AMD builds for me. Shame, I’d much rather give my money to a US company.
AMD is based in Santa Clara, California. It is an American multinational corp, just like Intel.

What’s troubling is that Intel has not and will not issue a recall for the affected CPUs. It also hasn’t halted processor sales pending the updated microcode rolling out.

That is completely normal. AMD did the same thing with the Ryzen 1000 series, they replaced them if they died or started throwing errors and left them alone if they didn't. Same thing happens to vehicles with potentially catastrophic issues, they fix them if they start showing issues and leave them alone if they don't. Why? You said it yourself.

This doesn’t mean every Raptor Lake or Raptor Lake Refresh CPU will experience crashing issues.

Reactions: iLoveThe80s

Pierce2623

Upstanding
Dec 3, 2023
Zen3 was clearly snappier than anything that came before it. Feeling system responsiveness as “eh” was totally in your head.

great Unknown

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2014
That is completely normal. AMD did the same thing with the Ryzen 1000 series, they replaced them if they died or started throwing errors and left them alone if they didn't. Same thing happens to vehicles with potentially catastrophic issues, they fix them if they start showing issues and leave them alone if they don't. Why? You said it yourself.
Your description of the auto industry is not accurate. If a major issue shows up, they will/must recall all the vehicles potentially affected for repair or replacement. And they certainly won't sell new vehicles with those problems. Doing anything would lead to legal liability, major lawsuits and financial catastrophe.

Boeing tried it; I am not certain if they will recover in the near future.

Reactions: iLoveThe80s
It's the gift that keeps on giving! Daaaaaamn

A thing like this just being smoothed over for a year and a half + surely isn't going to leave me confident in buying Intel replacement/upgrade for years to come at this point.
I think this is where Intel have really shot themselves in the foot. The fact that it's not just 1 sku, but many more, will not encourage gamers or enthusiasts to buy their products. They could have nipped this in the bud at the start, instead of hoping that the issue resided in only 1 or 2 sku's. Instead we have had weak fixes, new revelations, and are a month away from a true fix. It all smacks of Intel trying to cover up and get by, all the while doing consumers out of it.
Considering how much they've bungled this whole mess up they need to issue a clear, concise statement on which chips are affected with batch numbers etc etc. Stick a sock in the mealy mouths of anyone with an MBA and issue a limited recall.
Precisely. What a sh!t show. Not only is it across a bunch of sku's but back 2 gen worth of CPU's to boot! There will be a lot of folks who might go with Intel more often than not, reconsidering their purchases with Intel based machines in the future. Whilst the revenue from these sku's may not be the bread and butter of Intel, surely this will hit their bottom line in this sector either way.

Lets hope Arrow Lake doesn't end up the same way.

Reactions: punkncat

pixelpusher220

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
You know what's also normal? Never buying from such a company again. Seriously, this is "we're so important we don't have to fix our issues" levels of future NOPE.

yc1

May 12, 2024
This answers the question I had, specifically being was it only the high end K skew, or all. This is super unfortunate for anyone that has Intel 12-14th gen chips. The other aspect of this is now, how long do we wait to see what happens with 15th gen? A thing like this just being smoothed over for a year and a half + surely isn't going to leave me confident in buying Intel replacement/upgrade for years to come at this point.

I suppose that many of us will have to take a wait and see attitude. If there is some method upon which we can know for fact that it is a 'post-problem' chip it may make them a relevant choice again. Personally sort of ticks me off since I went with a 12th gen chip which are priced quite attractively right now with the future plan to be to update into a 14th gen a couple of years from now.
12 gen Adler lake cpus are not affiliated with the same issues but this makes me very nervous about buying a new cpu from Intel

bit_user

Titan
Ambassador
not all high voltage is due solely to CPU requests as motherboards choose what voltage to send to the CPU. Any auto OC feature will deny the CPU request and send what the motherboard thinks is best.
Even though the motherboard ultimately decides what voltage to provide the CPU, isn't that just a master voltage, with the voltage of individual cores derived by the CPU internally stepping it down?

I'm having a little trouble finding much info on FIVR, but this quote directly supports the idea that each core can run at a different voltage:

"Note that while each of the CPU cores now has its own PLL (and its own V/F curve), for processors without FIVR and where the cores share a single VccIA or VccCore voltage rail, only one voltage is applied across all cores.

Alder Lake and Raptor Lake inherit the overclocking feature from Rocket Lake and offers ratio limits for each of the P-cores and each cluster of 4 E-cores."

Source: https://skatterbencher.com/intel-per-core-ratio-limit/

Then, the question is whether FIVR is stepping down the voltage it thinks it's getting or the voltage it actually gets.

CmdrShepard

Prominent
Dec 18, 2023
This impacts all RL And RLr CPUs, with no "fix" of dubious quality until august, they put a stop sale on existing CPUs, damage is permanent and irreversible, and they aren't doing a recall? Where is the FTC or other similar government agencies stepping in on behalf of the consumer? Really, intel, do you expect anyone to knowingly choose to buy another CPU from you again?
But please, think of the government's Chip Act! We must sell chips!

/s

Joking aside, what they did here is asinine and a proof they have been promoted into "too big to fail" category by those government subsidies, just like Boeing and other defense contractors.

Just think about it:

1. Not stopping sales
2. No recall of things already in the stores and warehouses
3. No information on serial number range / manufacturing date range and exact list of models affected.
4. No detection tool for affected CPUs
5. No information on mobile parts
6. No warranty extension
7. No proper fix
8. No way to tell if your CPU already got damaged

I hope they get taken to the cleaners via a class action lawsuit, and if FTC doesn't do anything, then maybe WTO or EC will do something about it.

Also, with all these failures, and considering corporations are people, perhaps it's time to introduce corporate death penalty for the most egregious crap those megacorps keep pulling on us day after day without recourse.

bit_user

Titan
Ambassador
I do realize that aspect, but since 13 and 14th gen are the same socket/compatible with BIOS update it basically took out the planned upgrade path over the next few years.
FWIW, there's the potential of Bartlett Lake. New leaks emerged about it, a couple weeks ago. The i9 and i7 will be available in 12P + 0E and 10P + 0E configurations. The rest of the model lineup looks like yet more Raptor Lake (B0) rebadges.

I think the biggest remaining questions are what the lithography and microarchitecture of those P-core only models will be. I assume still Raptor Cove on Intel 7+. Also, what might the emergence of such models say about the gaming potential of Arrow Lake?

Reactions: punkncat

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
FWIW, there's the potential of Bartlett Lake. New leaks emerged about it, a couple weeks ago. The i9 and i7 will be available in 12P + 0E and 10P + 0E configurations. The rest of the model lineup looks like yet more Raptor Lake (B0) rebadges.

I think the biggest remaining questions are what the lithography and microarchitecture of those P-core only models will be. I assume still Raptor Cove on Intel 7. Also, what might the emergence of such models say about the gaming potential of Arrow Lake?

As above, I would guess the thing here would be to wait around a bit and see if they also share the deficiencies.