Intel's First 10nm Processor Lands In China

Status
Not open for further replies.

barryv88

Distinguished
May 11, 2010
It's 2018, and Intel brings out dual cores.... dual cores. No. Just no.

Basically, this will allow AMD to give them a royal spanking, once their 7nm products roll out. And rightfully deserved. This is what you get when you steer anti innovation, anti competition, anti consumer, anti open source. What goes around, comes around.

DerekA_C

Prominent
Mar 1, 2017
oh hey did you see these new chips only officially support 2400mhz memory and amds ryzen first gen supports 2667mhz and refined edition is 2933 and who knows with zen 2 at the end of the year AMD is coming back with a vengeance.

I'm thinking it's more of a "beta" test. China isn't really used to quality, so a potentially buggy, low end, dual core would just be more accepted, especially in low volumes.

In most other countries, especially the USA, a low volume dual core would get panned and do more damage to Intel's image than it would be worth.

I'm thinking they are hemorrhaging money on this 10nm and we will see many generations on it. Even in low volume, it might bring a little of that money back.

stdragon

Admirable

Yeah, I'm thinking Intel's yeild isn't doing so good. The best they can bin these chips at is probably either crippled to dual core (other cores disabled due to flaws), or as a simple production run to at least get some ROI on their fab investment in the interim. Either way, I have to agree, AMD is going to spank the crap out of Intel for the next year or so!

You know, honestly, Intel brought all this on themselves. Besides, competition is healthy, even if I'm not an AMD fan. So be it, I hope AMD does well this time around; they deserve it.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Folks would do well to remember the 14 nm/Broadwell debacle. Basically, it was initially limited to smaller, lower clock speed chips, and so late that the desktop Broadwell SKUs got cancelled since Skylake was almost ready to ship right behind it.

I think we're seeing a much worse version of that, with 10 nm. It's good that they were able to wring so much more out of 14 nm, or Intel would be in real trouble.

BTW, it's common to start with smaller chips on a new node, until the yields improve. That's why Intel has been starting new nodes on mobile, then desktop, and finally the huge server chips.

May 15, 2018
This just beyond pathetic! AMD Ryzen Mobile offers 8C/8T with Vega 10 graphics for a TDP of 15W. And here we have Intel with a 2C/4T without IGP for 15W. While TDP is not the best marker for power efficiency, still........ How the might have fallen.

Well Broadwell actually was sold as a desktop cpu IE: i7-5775C and i5-5675C which ran on normal LGA 1155 with a Z97 or H97 Chipset IIRC. But it was only months before Skylake was released and we have been stuck with slight Skylake tweaks ever since for more Mhz with slightly updated gpu which is Kaby Lake and then adding two more cores which is Coffee Lake. Oh and they did this on their tweaked and refined 14nm + and ++ or however many +'s they are at now... They need to backport their post Lake Arch to their best 14nm and have 8 cores for mainstream then we may actually see a good jump in performance from Intel in both IPC and multi-threaded performance. 10nm is looking like it may take Intel till almost 2020 to get to the point where they can make decent size dies (thinking even longer on server size dies) with the performance they need to manufacture full mass production processors that are an actual upgrade for consumers.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Damn Intels 10nm have to be in a dire state indeed, as why else would they release a tiny dual-core if they yeilds were ok. I feel this is more of a "Look we actually have 10nm now" release than an actual one.

Umm your chart for the bandwidth doesn't make sense. How can DDR4-2400 which is 19.20 GB/s get 41.6 GB/s in dual channel. 2 x 19.2 = 38.4 not 41.6 If it were DDR4-2666 that would make sense since that is 21.3 GB/s and dual channel would be 42.6 GB/s

LORD_ORION

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2007
They must want to see if China's AI can find the new asymmetrical backdoor baked into the hardware, now that the old one was compromised and patched out by Spectre/Meltdown.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Wafer fabrication or manufacturing of Intel's microprocessors and chip sets is conducted in the U.S. (Arizona, New Mexico, Oregon and Massachusetts). China, Ireland and Israel. Following manufacturing the majority of our components are then assembled and tested at facilities in Malaysia, China, Costa Rica and Vietnam.

Intel Global Manufacturing Facts

Somebody has to be the Guinea Pigs...

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
No IPC improvements since Sky Lake. Doubt cannon has any. Ice Lake, maybe a few % increase? So, single core performance improvements have been solely due to higher clockspeeds these past generations. Sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS