Intel's First Phone is the Xolo X900, On Sale April 23

Status
Not open for further replies.

halcyon

Splendid
From what I can discern this phone looks like another "me-too" device. I think if you dislike Apple these "me-too" devices may be appealing. However, being brand agnostic, the Razr/Razr Maxx were the only compelling (and non-plastic cased) Android phones I really liked enough to spend money on. ...too bad the screens really left a lot to be desired.

besplatan

Honorable
Apr 17, 2012
I don't really care about an x86 phone. There shouldn't be any advantage in having the same architecture or OS on all your devices. Instead, the same services and apps should be available on all devices, so we don't get locked in to a specific hardware or OS manufacturer.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
lol now why haven't i heard of this till now? Should be interesting, 22k is the Lumia 800's price.

India a test market? We've more phone users than the US. More people than the US. No carriers complaining of spectrum shortage. Extremely cheap calling rates. NO crappy contracts except on iCrap and a tiny minority of other handsets (i think the ZTE Blade is ONE other example i can think of) and tablets selling as cheap as $60.

Test market? lmao. The phone could be a pilot unit (hence the local manufacturer), but Intel and China are markets manufacturers want to expand, not "test".

Anyway, i think this may actually sell pretty well, seeing how popular Android (and Intel) is here. Plus OTA ICS is a win, and i don't know of any 22k Android phone with ICS coming its way (maybe some samsungs? idk, haven't heard of any so far)

And a 1.6 GHz Atom is weak for a cell phone? I think Android is bigger bottleneck than the processor.

G

A user should never care what is inside their phone. They should care about the service and the reliability. Whether it is ARM or Intel shouldn't really matter. The more competition the better so may ARM and Intel clash for decades. It will be good for the consumer.

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]ojas[/nom]lol now why haven't i heard of this till now? Should be interesting, 22k is the Lumia 800's price.India a test market? We've more phone users than the US. More people than the US. No carriers complaining of spectrum shortage. Extremely cheap calling rates. NO crappy contracts except on iCrap and a tiny minority of other handsets (i think the ZTE Blade is ONE other example i can think of) and tablets selling as cheap as $60.Test market? lmao. The phone could be a pilot unit (hence the local manufacturer), but Intel and China are markets manufacturers want to tap into, not "test".Anyway, i think this may actually sell pretty well, seeing how popular Android (and Intel) is here. Plus OTA ICS is a win, and i don't know of any 22k Android phone with ICS coming its way (maybe some samsungs? idk, haven't heard of any so far)And a 1.6 GHz Atom is weak for a cell phone? I think Android is bigger bottleneck than the processor.[/citation]
I didn't realize India was the market that every phone manufacturer wants...all I know is they provide a lot of tech support .

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]GDDD[/nom]A user should never care what is inside their phone. They should care about the service and the reliability. Whether it is ARM or Intel shouldn't really matter. The more competition the better so may ARM and Intel clash for decades. It will be good for the consumer.[/citation]
You do realize you're at Tom's Hardware right? Many folks here want to know what kind of processor a paper clip has and how far they can overclock it.

G

I'll wait for the i7 powered phone. I need to call my sister from Uranus. Tell her that she stinks :p

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
[citation][nom]halcyon[/nom]I didn't realize India was the market that every phone manufacturer wants...all I know is they provide a lot of tech support .[/citation]
:D can't blame you really.

But yeah, every second person has a phone here. In fact in cities, almost everyone does. And think about it, New Delhi and the surrounding National Capital Region has over 10 million residents.

thezooloomaster

Honorable
Apr 19, 2012
Maybe Intel is afraid that its first foray into the Smartphone world will end badly, so they experiment in India, where it doesn't matter. If it doesn't sell, Intel can come up with any number of excuses, and the average Westerner will believe them.

sync_nine

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010
If Intel + Microsoft + Nokia were supposed to make this with Windows phone 7 it would have been more promising. And as ojas said, the bigger bottleneck is Android.

As for Lava, believe me no one buys that brand in India. Except for those with wages like $100 a month. Its a 3rd grade brand. I wonder why Intel signed them up.

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]anonymousplankton[/nom]The ice cream sandwich is a lie.[/citation]
For most people, yes indeed it is. Manufacturers that indicate they'll upgrade a phone to ICS should start indicating just when they plan to do so. ...otherwise it'll just continue to be fogware

daveotlinux

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2012
How many developers are going to recompile their apps to use x86, even if it is running an Intel compiled version of Android. Now if it is really inexpensive, and a lot of developers in India write for it... Maybe a beta test, feet wet kind of thing?

nuhamind2

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2011
[citation][nom]besplatan[/nom]There shouldn't be any advantage in having the same architecture or OS on all your devices. [/citation]
Are there any disadvantage anyway?

shriganesh

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2011
I am from India and online retailers are already selling at 20,000 rupees. I would buy this phone for sure. But the problem is battery! Medfield will surely crush ARM cores dual or quad no problem. But if it lasts just half a day, I am not buying this!

@daveotlinux
I don't think recompiling is needed. Most mainstream andriod apps run under Dalvik VM (sorta like Java VM) so recompiling is NOT needed. It is sort of like saying I've written a java app under linux but I feel it won't run under windows. It will run if you have JVM under windows.

@TheZoolooMaster
In India people care about every penny (or paise) spent. So most people will go only for the best value goods unlike other countries.

Status
Not open for further replies.