• Find an incredible deal for Black Friday or Cyber Monday? Share those epic bargains with the community by posting them in this forum thread!

Intel's Future Chips: News, Rumours & Reviews

Page 147 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Darkbreeze

Titan
Don't worry, it won't be that long before we have organic computing with neural networks. Then all of this linear versus quantum stuff can go right out the window and our computers can be just as messed up as we are, with full neurosis, neurotic behaviors and other mental conditions. Some days your system will just tell you "I don't feel like gaming today. I haz sad." LOL.

InvalidError

Titan
Don't worry, it won't be that long before we have organic computing with neural networks.
The problems with bio-computers are very slow propagation time (the human brain has a "tick rate" estimated in the neighborhood of 100Hz based on how activity goes around the brain when a stimumus triggers activity) and less-than-exact accuracy, so there is no danger of organic computing replacing conventional computing in most applications. I would expect them to be particularly well-suited for coping with the analog world in ways digital computers cannot.

Quantum computers have a few challenges of their own, starting with manufacturing and programming. The biggest of which regarding hypothetical use as a substitute for conventional computing is that quantum machines don't naturally do sequential operations.

jimmysmitty

Champion
Something will have to give. Silicon as a base material is about used up. If Intel is having these kind of issues now, just trying to reach 7nm, wait until they try 5nm. They'll have to figure a way for cpus to run at 1.0v or less, just to stop physical burnout and bleeding. Which won't happen anytime soon. So when game devs want to push BF10 on 16k monitors at 600Hz, it's going to take cores, not speed, to get the job done. Short code strings, fast IPC, multiple threads.

Or go backwards and take half the stuff back out of the cpu, like the memory controller, igpu etc and free up i/o. Modular cpus, multiple sockets for different performance levels and applications. Daughter boards. Infinity Fabric on a motherboard scale, not a cpu scale.

MSI already built a modular motherboard, don't see why Intel couldn't do similar with a cpu, but I'm betting that's already gone across the minds of some amd folks.
Intel started 5nm research a while ago and have been working on Silicon alternatives for a very long time. Problem is finding one as good as silicon and as cost effective. A lot of the new ideas, like carbon nanotubes, are not as cost effective.

I would think the entire idea behind Forevos is to be able to be more modular. Being able to stitch together any components required for the job is pretty much a modular idea. The problem with taking from the CPU is it increases the overall space required. The reason so much has gone onto the CPU is to shrink overall size. Have you ever looked at the motherboard for an ultrabook? Its about 1/4 of the size of the thing. Then think of cell phones.

The future is bright and I am sure the biog companies have plenty of ideas. We will just have to wait and see which ones are actually viable solutions.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS