Intel's Future Chips: News, Rumours & Reviews

Page 82 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013
Latest leaks about Coffee Lake

5QpkNjW.jpg

65l33o8.jpg

Averletum

Prominent
Jul 24, 2017
Is it possible to achieve such high clocks with 95W or similar TDP just because they optimised to 14nm++?

And that promised 20-30% whould come through that and with more L3 cache?

lrrelevant

Commendable
Jun 22, 2016
Cache per core and will be the same as kaby lake. And with single core boost to 4.7, you'll probably see alot of these processors hitting 5 GHz with proper cooling.

Averletum

Prominent
Jul 24, 2017

Yes, I meant more cache overall :p this single core could benefit from that increase? Also, should two cores boost at 4.6 beat i7-7700K's one core at 4.9 in gaming?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador

That depends on the application being used. You can easily - with a proper cooler - OC all cores on the 7700k to 4.9. But nevermind that. Why are you trying to compare STOCK turbo boost(8700k) to an overclocked one(7700k)?

Averletum

Prominent
Jul 24, 2017

Yeah, I know it doesn't make sense, but I'm just trying to determine how much performance gain we'll get just from the box without manually overclocking 8th generation compare to the 7700k's overclock...

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

Yes, memory-bound workloads that do not use all the cores would benefit from the bigger L3 cache, because the cores working in the workload would have more cache for storing data and instructions and accessing less frequently to main memory.

jaymc

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2007
Intel is changing it's strategy for releasing it's next generation chips.. Normally a next gen chip is released first in the desktop environment and then after a product matures and any bugs are Ironed out etc it's ported to the Data Center.

But now due to increased competition, Intel is changing this strategy to "Data Center First"...

Intel says that DCG will be the first segment within Intel to use its third-generation 10nm technology, marketed as 10nm++

Some big changes going on over at Intel check it out here:
https://www.fool.com/investing/2017/07/28/financial-impact-intel-corp-data-center-first.aspx

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

That is not what the link says really. The link says (bold mine):

Jefferies says Intel will face a bigger competitive threat from AMD, Cavium and Qualcomm in the server chip business later this year.

Qualcomm and Cavium are the real threats to Intel, both have very competitive chips and both companies already got three of the top datacenter server wins and some HPC win.

On the other hand AMD is expected to crash 70%

http://www.investopedia.com/news/amd-sell-positioned-crash-70-citigroup/

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

It is partially due to increased competition (e.g. Qualcomm is releasing the first 10nm server chip) and partially due to the fall of the PC market. In any case, Intel already announced a pair of years ago the move from a PC-focus strategy to a datacenter-focus strategy

https://www.extremetech.com/computing/221362-intel-to-focus-on-three-areas-of-growth-none-of-which-involve-pcs
http://marketrealist.com/2015/07/analyzing-intels-strategy-push-data-center-growth/
http://www.businessinsider.com/intel-finds-a-way-to-diversify-business-2015-10

Considering all these companies have more tentacles than an octopus, their shares can raise or go down for a lot of reasons.

AMD has 2 main streams: CPU and GPU. Intel has... CPU, Mobile, Foundry (kinda new) and HPC? Qualcomm is CPU and Mobile (with Comms IPs). I have no idea of Cavium TBH.

And thanks to Vega, AMD will go down. I have no idea how much, but get ready to buy, haha.

Cheers!

jaymc

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2007

I'm with you on that one mate... it's dropping there now I'm rubbing me hands together here ;-)

The problem with AMD stock in the short term is this: AMD made a better product, but it still hasn't shown they can make money off it. Remember, AMDs debt starts to turn over in 18 months, and investors are going to remain jittery until AMD starts making not just a profit, but a significant one.

AMD also has the same problems as Intel, specifically Qualcomm, which can undercut AMD just as easily as AMD can undercut Intel, putting AMD in a really awkward market position.

So Intel's Coffee Lagoons will require new MoBos... Does that mean they'll not only beef the CPU core count but maybe some ancillary functions? I'd love if Intel would increase to 20 lanes at least the comms and, maybe, get rid of the iGPU xD

Cheers!

8350rocks

Distinguished

Intel does not compete in the ARM server space...Cavium and Qualcomm are not even remotely in the same arena. The reason this move occurred was because EPYC is about to take large datacenters by storm. You can live under a rock in denial about it, or you can accept it and move on. Either way, Intel was never competitive in the server space occupied by Qualcomm and Cavium, and they never will be by the look of it.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

Intel, Cavium, and Qualcomm have been competing in the datacenter and HPC arena for a while. Intel even prepared a set of slides comparing its Xeon servers to Cavium first gen servers

https://www.nextplatform.com/2016/05/31/intel-lines-thunderx-arms-xeons/

Many big datacenters are replacing Intel servers by second-gen Cavium servers and first-gen Qualcomm servers. On the other hand, the impact of EPYC in the datacenter is virtually zero.

So far the only confirmation we have is from the ASRock Twitter account, where someone asked them if Coffee Lake CPUs would work on Z270 mobos and ASRock said no.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

So far as I know the support is optional to motherboard company, because a BIOS compatibility mode is technically possible. Asrock said they will not support it.

So it will be a repeat of Ivy at best.

Cheers!

YoAndy

Reputable
Jan 27, 2017

Well it makes sense to me for the i3 to have 4 cores and get rid of the dual cores, but 8 hyperthreading cores?. The new i5 will be 6 cores but that means in some applications the i3 with 8 hyperthreading cores may be faster than the i5? because the i5 lack of hyperthreading.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

4C + HT ~ 4C * 1.25 = 5C < 6C

Also I guess they can play with clocks and give the i5 an extra bump.

It's still an odd look. Maybe HTT is being removed from the i3 lineup? Or the i5 is gaining it? Because honestly? i5's would NEVER be cost-justified under this scheme.

Status
Not open for further replies.