News Intel's Gelsinger Backpedals, Calls TSMC 'Spectacular' at Bargaining Table

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
Rest assured, the people negotiating these deals are not thin skinned petty fanboys. There are plenty of examples of companies flinging lawsuits at each while still doing significant business with each other. CEO's trash talking each is mild in comparison and business as usual.

VforV

Respectable
BANNED
Oct 9, 2019
This kind of two face and duplicity I've never seen from Dr. Lisa Su...

Yeah, intel will always be intel. I thought this guy is better, but who am I kidding he has the same "DNA" as those working there, he's one of their OG for a reason (with both goods and bads)... I just thought maybe, maybe he got better with age... pffft.

AMD, as long as you're not as scummy as intel and nvidia, I will prefer you. Just don't drop the ball to their level, because I don't follow blindly...

Ok, so in a nutshell:
Intel: "TSMC suck, because they're in Taiwan"
TSMC: "Intel is old and not agile"
Intel: "TSMC's process is not as good as they say it is, because metrics. Also, we're using a PR rating on our process node names now, because metrics suck."
TSMC: "we've been using the same measurements for our rating for the last 20 years. We have the next 3 nodes in pre-production, too."
Intel: "we're so successful, we're using all our capacity now; we need to outsource some of our production - even on process nodes we just can't master in time."
TSMC: "we're good."
Intel: "TSMC are good enough for us. We need them."
TSMC: "work at it more if you want that discount."

Jim90

Distinguished
Rest assured, the people negotiating these deals are not thin skinned petty fanboys. There are plenty of examples of companies flinging lawsuits at each while still doing significant business with each other. CEO's trash talking each is mild in comparison and business as usual.

Lol, you need to dig a bit deeper to understand what I really said.

Endymio

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 3, 2020
This kind of two face and duplicity I've never seen from Dr. Lisa Su...
Despite the sensationalistic claim of "backpedaling", there is no contradiction between the statements that "Taiwan is a geopolitically unstable location for manufacturing" and "TSMC is spectacular at bargaining". The former is indisputably correct, and there is no reason to doubt the veracity of the latter claim either.

Reactions: larkspur