Intel's Haswell-E Boxed Cooler is a Wee Bit Bigger

Status
Not open for further replies.

lp231

Splendid
KitGuru already posted a article on it way earlier, but it didn't comes up on Google Search unless you look under the News section. Tom's should have a submit news section, so anything interesting can be posted on the front page.

I kind of disagree with that because us enthusiast who knows to get a better HSF is probably like 1%. The rest are OEM and Intel can sell it to them and that is a lot.

I kind of disagree with that because us enthusiast who knows to get a better HSF is probably like 1%. The rest are OEM and Intel can sell it to them and that is a lot.

This mentions it is for K series and X series chips socket 2011. Large OEM's don't sell many of these usually it is smaller builders like Falcon Northwest, computer shops and IT people. As these are mainly enthusiasts parts the split is likely closer to 50/50. Since the average enthusiast has the knowledge to build their own PC.

Professionals who need workstations and servers with 6+ core socket 2011 chips are going to be going with Xeon. The socket 2011 Core series is almost exclusively for enthusiasts that want Xeon power but don't need the Workstation features like ECC memory.

mapesdhs

Distinguished
Professionals who need workstations and servers with 6+ core socket 2011 chips are going to be going with Xeon. ...

Except for the solo professionals who can't afford XEONs; for them, an oc'd K/X
i7 is an excellent compromise (I've built several for this type of user), a stepping
stone on the way to something more powerful once they've earned enough to
jump to a 2-socket XEON. An oc'd K is about the same speed as one 10-core
XEON, so it needs a 2-socket board to be worth the uprade expense, a build
which will be about 3K higher than an oc'd i7.

Ian.

Again, these are not included in the box. These are going to be reference designs for OEMs that build their own.

lp231

Splendid

Why would you try them in the garbage? You can probably sell it off or use it as a backup in case the main one fails and has to be returned for a RMA.
Their XTS100H Cooler was some what different from the ones they always use, and there was also their water cooling kit.

2exwu2b.jpg

2lsuy5v.jpg

*INTEL let's see three options for ALL of your CPU's regarding coolers:

1) No cooler included (save $3).

2) Above cooler as $5 option.

3) $15+ cooler as option (almost as good as Noctua NH-U12S).

That's good for the environment as how many coolers are just thrown in the garbage. The savings could then be passed on to consumers as a very minor savings with no cooler, roughly the same price with the normal cooler or a big reduction over what a good after market cooler normally costs.

*I know when I recommend a $60 cooler to someone it's annoying especially since it's mainly about NOISE not cooling much of the time and a SLIGHTLY better cooler would do the trick.

Even the best $30 coolers are noisier than they should be and that's mostly about the fan quality and something easily done cheaply in BULK when the profit of the coolers aren't an issue, only the sale of the CPU's themselves.

shogunofharlom

Honorable
Oct 19, 2012
Don't forget to take those stock coolers to your local metal recycler. Bring all of those dated cables too. 99 cents per pound! I usually walk away with no less than $15!

Status
Not open for further replies.