Intel's iGPU-Disabled Core i5-9400F Lands on Amazon

spdragoo

Expert
Ambassador
Wow. So much wrong with this CPU (not the story, just the situation):
-- they just announced them literally this week, & it's already showing at a 15% markup over the MSRP -- & this isn't even from a 3rd-party, this is direct from Intel itself;
-- Amazon even shows it "temporarily out of stock" (which at least makes sense since it's not officially available yet...but "just announced & not available for sale" is technically not the same as "it exists but it's currently out of stock");
-- & not so much a disappointment from Intel, but from Amazon, is that they're pushing their "professional installation" service. You can pony up an extra $83 USD for the privilege of...one of Amazon's "trained" "Amazon Home Services" "techs" to come out & pop that CPU into the ZIF socket & attach the CPU cooler for you. And yes, I deliberately added those extra air quotes.

It's priced about the same as an i5-8500, which has the same single core boost, only the 9400F has a slightly lower base clock and no integrated graphics to fall back on in the event of a graphics card failure. And even the i5-8500 itself is currently marked up $18 over MSRP. At its MSRP it could be a very decent option, but Intel's processors haven't been selling near their MSRPs for months.

MADD617

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2014
I don't understand why Intel would put a iGPU in it and disable it? Wouldn't they save money by not including it in the first place, or am I missing something?