Intel's Ivy Bridge Core i3 Details Leaked

Status
Not open for further replies.

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
A gamer building a system is unlikely to be considering an i3 as a processor of choice so the lack of PCIe Gen 3 wouldn't really matter. Considering current Gen 2 PCIe is capable of handling the bandwidth of all but the most extreme of devices.

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
Can intel now please get rid of the Pentium and Celeron brandings in Ivy Bridge. I mean seriously do we still need both of these brandings anymore, when you can just combine them and turn them into low grade Core i3's....

G

[citation][nom]Wolley74[/nom]i would love to see an unlocked i3 sometime, budget overclocking would be a huge incentive to buy an i3[/citation]

Unless AMD starts being competitive don't see that happening.

noblerabbit

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2010
[citation][nom]masterofevil22[/nom]Intel with CPU's and AMD with GPU's right now are MOVING the technology bar at a rapid pace... Love it[/citation]

and then came the next iPad .... (slows everything down for another year) gawd dammit.

RealBeast

Titan
[citation][nom]noblerabbit[/nom]and then came the next iPad .... (slows everything down for another year) gawd dammit.[/citation]
I actually considered buying an iPad 3 (which I assume will be released Feb 29) the other day when my old iPod locked up on a flight and the guy next to to me played slots the whole way on his ancient iPad.

Doh, and I don't even text message because nobody I know has anything important to say. Flying enough to be Exec Plat on AA, I need a diversion to ignore the crappy service, so I'll probably get sucked down the rabbit hole.

unther

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2012
the odds of someone actually using these CPUs with a high end motherboard that supports PCIE 3.0 is very slim IMO. Someone who puts out the money for a system that needs the bandwidth that PCIE 3.0 will likely put out the money for a Intel CPU that supports that interface.

On the other hand this is a opportunity for AMD because Intel does not support PCIe 3.0 with their low end CPUs they can offer it in their low end models and possibly get some more customers their way. Right now the only way for AMD to fight Intel is on the value front, and to support PCIe 3.0 with their lower end CPUs could add more value to their line up. Of course this is all speculation.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]noblerabbit[/nom]and then came the next iPad .... (slows everything down for another year) gawd dammit.[/citation]

And meanwhile, Microsoft and Sony continue to sit on their 2005's era (dinosaur era aka) computers and hold off releasing new consoles as long as possible...

G

"Ivy is just a die shrink of Sandy, neither will be a significant upgrade for you as you already have a 2600K "

It's not just a die shrink. Intel always adds a few features here and there. Supposedly 15% faster and uses less power. That is a pretty significant upgrade. Supposedly faster quicksync and up to 300% faster integrated graphics but someone with a 2600K isn't abuot to use integrated graphics.

G

[citation][nom]dgingeri[/nom]I find it interesting it shows the i5 3550 and 3570 have HT and 8 thread support. Anyone else notice that?[/citation]

I did after you pointed it out. What will be the incentive to buy an i7 with IB, 2mb of extra cache?

ben850

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
[citation][nom]pubic_lice[/nom]35W TDP...nice!If the price is right, thats going to be an attractive option for HTPC machines over the G620T.[/citation]

I'd take a guess and say that this cpu would be more than enough for 95% of personal computers out there. That's awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.