Intel's Ivy Bridge-E set for Q3 2013, Shows Leaked Slide

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]Thunderfox[/nom]So will IB-E still have a borked IHS?[/citation]

I'm going to laugh if they pair cheap thermal paste with a $999 processor.

brimur

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2011
Does that mean from Q1 next year there will be no more development on 1155, so if I am buying now I should get a 2011 chipset or hold off a few months?

whitey_rolls1984

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2011
[citation][nom]brimur[/nom]Does that mean from Q1 next year there will be no more development on 1155, so if I am buying now I should get a 2011 chipset or hold off a few months?[/citation]

Would you prefer if Intel went the AMD route and kept the same socket for like 5 years with little to no advancement in their chip technology?

All I can say is I'm happy I bought a 2600k 18 months ago, looks like a chip that will likely hold up for a long time.

whitey_rolls1984

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2011
[citation][nom]whitey_rolls1984[/nom]Would you prefer if Intel went the AMD route and kept the same socket for like 5 years with little to no advancement in their chip technology? All I can say is I'm happy I bought a 2600k 18 months ago, looks like a chip that will likely hold up for a long time.[/citation]

I fail meant to quote "the greater good"

G

One would think that naming it Ivy Bridge-E would make it compatible with the LGA 1155 socket.

?? Today's Sandy Bridge-E is on LGA2011 - quad memory channels vs. dual for one thing. IB-E should be a drop-in replacement with a BIOS update.

G

whitey: Moar FUD plz.

"Would you prefer if Intel went the AMD route and kept the same socket for like 5 years with little to no advancement in their chip technology?"

Orly? Are you trying to say that Trinity and Bulldozer aren't light years better than Athlon 64 x2? Because I know you're not trying to say that Intel's chipsets are better.

"All I can say is I'm happy I bought a 2600k 18 months ago, looks like a chip that will likely hold up for a long time."

From this we can infer that Intel is the one spending many years with little or no advancements in their chip technology, otherwise they'd have a compelling upgrade for you.

brimur

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2011
[citation][nom]whitey_rolls1984[/nom]Would you prefer if Intel went the AMD route and kept the same socket for like 5 years with little to no advancement in their chip technology? All I can say is I'm happy I bought a 2600k 18 months ago, looks like a chip that will likely hold up for a long time.[/citation]

What I would prefer is to buy a system that will allow me to upgrade the CPU again in 12 - 18 months. If dev for 1155 stops in Q1 then I would prefer to wait till 1150 comes out.

G

[citation][nom]fazers_on_stun[/nom]?? Today's Sandy Bridge-E is on LGA2011 - quad memory channels vs. dual for one thing. IB-E should be a drop-in replacement with a BIOS update.[/citation]

Oh. I never heard of Sandy Bridge-E. So is this like a beefed up version of Ivy Bridge with quad memory?

kdw75

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
I am so glad I upgraded my 920 to the 3820. I would be pissed if I had just bought socket 1155 and it was going to be obsolete this fast.

ramcoza

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2011
[citation][nom]brimur[/nom]What I would prefer is to buy a system that will allow me to upgrade the CPU again in 12 - 18 months. If dev for 1155 stops in Q1 then I would prefer to wait till 1150 comes out.[/citation]

p67 motherboards released in March 2011. According to your argument "update the cpu in 12-18 months", you can update a sandybridge cpu to ivybridge. because 12 - 18 months from march 2011 is, march 2012 to September 2012. You can even update it after 24 months, March 2013.

If you think intel could have kept the 775 chipset for all the cpus. Hmm... think about crappy NB & FSB, no sata III, no usb 3.0, no eSATA, No DMI etc etc..,

[citation][nom]M1n3Kraft[/nom]Oh. I never heard of Sandy Bridge-E. So is this like a beefed up version of Ivy Bridge with quad memory?[/citation]
quad memory, bigger cache, no IGP, but likely 8 cores/16 threads

migaltec

Honorable
Aug 8, 2012
Ivy bridge-E Sandy Bridge-E = LGA2011 (EXTREME Version)

Ivy bridge, Sandy bridge = LGA1155 ( mainstream version )

TeraMedia

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
Looks like EOL for SB is 1Q2013. Hey OCers, get 'em while they're hot!

Then the slide has those "gt or eq to" 3770K and 3570K in the subsequent quarters. It would be nice if they fixed the IHS, but I'm not holding my breath. More likely just a single multiplier bump made possible by some minor tweaks and adjustments to process and stepping.

What I find hard to swallow is that IB-E happens after Haswell. I mean, really? The 3960X has been around for a while, and the process has had most of its kinks worked out by now, so what's taking so long? Oh, right... no competition... no reason to push progress...

larkspur

Distinguished
[citation][nom]brimur[/nom]What I would prefer is to buy a system that will allow me to upgrade the CPU again in 12 - 18 months. If dev for 1155 stops in Q1 then I would prefer to wait till 1150 comes out.[/citation]
And I would prefer to build a system that doesn't need a CPU upgrade in a year or two or three. This all depends on what you use it for but seriously man just build a SB/IB system on 1155 now - they are so powerful you won't need to upgrade to Haswell or Broadwell anyway so no worries about the socket being phased-out. Or if you insist on supreme performance then build on socket 2011 and you can swap out your expensive SB-E with an expensive IB-E in 12-18 months if you so desire.

The Greater Good

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2010

I read you meant to reply to my comment.

What about Socket 775? Netburst through Penryn. There was a lot of changes through the life of that socket and.. guess what? There was huge advances in speed whilst power consumption went down. Intel went with socket 1156 after 775 for the mainstream market. Fine. Enter socket 1366 for the high-end desktop market. Fine. Oh OK, now it's socket 1155 for the mainstream (2 years later) and socket 2011 for high-end. That is not fine. Too many sockets in too short a time span.

I too have a 2600k and it would be great to be able to drop in Haswell with only a BIOS update... providing the MB manufacturer would support it. I don't want to have to buy a brand new MB every time I want to upgrade.

Marcus52

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
More evidence that Haswell will be (as Intel has said) more about mobility than power.

I hope it brings enough more to the table that waiting for it instead of going Sandy Bridge-E is worthwhile. Of course, I pretty much have to wait anyway because my computer related purchases means building a SB-E rig right now isn't possible, so, not a big deal I guess, for me.

It doesn't bode well for any significant boost for the power user until maybe 2015 - if they are releasing a top-end chip based on earlier architecture, that means they are really sticking to their intent to develop Haswell as a mobile processor. I don't see much hope for some kind of extreme version of Haswell.

AMD might take the performance crown back after all.

;)

f-14

Distinguished
[citation][nom]ankit0x1[/nom]but main point is...can it play crysis?[/citation]
i will tell you that AFTER i get done playing with YOUR MOM!

(just showing him how old and tired and worn out that joke is)

PreferLinux

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
Has anyone noticed the "spelling mistake" underlining on Haswell? And do you think Intel would really allow that to get through to a finished slide? So is this real, or is it a fake?

Status
Not open for further replies.