Intel's Linux-based Moblin 2.0 OS Goes Open Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greatwalrus

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
Sweet!!! I am really liking what Intel is doing here. For at least three reasons: 1) they are developing a very nice, useful operating system with their own unique applications, 2) it is Linux-based :), and 3) partly because of #2, it will be an inexpensive alternative.

I'm going to download it now and see if it will run in a virtual machine for me.

doped

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2006
[citation][nom]Regected[/nom]Very interesting development. Anyone know if this will be open source?[/citation]
i couldn't imagine you are allowed to use gnu/linux kernel in your OS, and NOT make it open source..

doped

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2006
[citation][nom]randomizer[/nom]I just hope the battery life is good. Ubuntu sucks up the battery like there's no tomorrow. I'd say it discharges a good 40-50% faster than XP on my MSI Wind.[/citation]
do you use the cpufreq demon??

randomizer

Champion
[citation][nom]doped[/nom]do you use the cpufreq demon??[/citation]
I use a pretty base install. It's just for messing around basically, but it means I don't get to mess around for nearly as long as on XP ;)

ossie

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2008
[citation][nom]cruiseoveride[/nom]Next evolution in operating system?umm, its called Linux?[/citation]
Well, an OS isn't the dumbed down interface the windblow$ lu$er gets to see, and usually confusing with the OS, that's called a GUI. The OS has more important things to do, like managing the machine - but that isn't exactly, where m$'s crap is shining.

[citation][nom]randomizer[/nom]I just hope the battery life is good. Ubuntu sucks up the battery like there's no tomorrow. I'd say it discharges a good 40-50% faster than XP on my MSI Wind.[/citation]
Have you recompiled/tuned you're kernel/settings with optimized values for the HW you have? Oh wait, "Ubuntu" is an ancient african word meaning "I can't compile/install whatever". ;)
Just run powertop (well, it's a console application, no fancy clickety-click, but gives quite useful hints), to see what's keeping the CPU (that's the main power sucker in laptops) busy, not allowing it to go to deeper power saving states. Prime suspects'll be WLAN, USB, Xserver, GUI elements/applications. Preferably, you would like to drop to a console only state (w/o X running), for the beginning, to eliminate the GUI mess.
http://www.lesswatts.org/projects/powertop/ then drop in X-buntu forums for more help.

[citation][nom]Regected[/nom]Very interesting development. Anyone know if this will be open source?[/citation]
If the GUI was developed in house, without using/being based on OSS, they can keep it closed, but that wouldn't be in the spirit of the community.

[citation][nom]doped[/nom]i couldn't imagine you are allowed to use gnu/linux kernel in your OS, and NOT make it open source..[/citation]
The OS isn't just the kernel, it includes also the GNU tools. Beside that, a distribution packages a lot of other stuff, including GUI and applications. Every bit's having it's own license. You would be surprised to see how many "smart" guy$ tried to keep it all under the rug, without releasing any sources - especially in the embedded market.
http://gpl-violations.org/

Very sparse wording, in the article. Where is all that eloquence, paraded when the theme can just barely be used, for a session of m$ a$$ licking?
Oh, sorry, I've overseen the "While most eyes are looking at Windows 7 and how it performs on today’s netbooks" part...

randomizer

Champion
[citation][nom]ossie[/nom]Have you recompiled/tuned you're kernel/settings with optimized values for the HW you have? Oh wait, "Ubuntu" is an ancient african word meaning "I can't compile/install whatever". Just run powertop (well, it's a console application, no fancy clickety-click, but gives quite useful hints), to see what's keeping the CPU (that's the main power sucker in laptops) busy, not allowing it to go to deeper power saving states. Prime suspects'll be WLAN, USB, Xserver, GUI elements/applications. Preferably, you would like to drop to a console only state (w/o X running), for the beginning, to eliminate the GUI mess.http://www.lesswatts.org/projects/powertop/ then drop in X-buntu forums for more help.[/citation]

As I said, it's a base installation for playing around (and testing to see if the touchpad problem I have is Windows driver-related, which, sadly, it isn't). I'm not afraid of using the CLI, I've used Terminal a little when configuring Linux VMs and installing VMware tools.

ossie

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2008
[citation][nom]randomizer[/nom]As I said, it's a base installation for playing around (and testing to see if the touchpad problem I have is Windows driver-related, which, sadly, it isn't). I'm not afraid of using the CLI, I've used Terminal a little when configuring Linux VMs and installing VMware tools.[/citation]
Then go ahead, and have a look - don't let yourself discouraged by the first wobbly steps. If you're really interested, you might be pleasantly surprised, by the whole new world of console freedom, not masked by some dumbed down GUI, and layers of abstraction. When you'll reach the next level, and want to learn more, go get some real distro.
http://blog.sillica.com/2008/06/11/debian-troubling-signs-can-slackware-teach-us-anything/
My condolences for the crappy HW...

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
You people saying you should run all these programs to calibrate all these things and mess with the kernel are the same ones saying that "Linux is ready." If you EVER have to do any of that stuff... EVER.. then Linux isn't ready. I use Ubuntu on my desktop and I can be realistic. The general population isn't anywhere near ready to be using Linux and Linux isn't anywhere near ready to be shoved onto the general population. A lot more work is necessary.

sublifer

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008
Turn off compiz and check your power settings

creativename

Distinguished
May 3, 2007
This sounds like a sad attempt by the makers of the Atom to prevent netbooks from eating into their notebook market. As nerbooks get more capable, and they will, people will use them for more. So, try to chain them to an OS that only lets you do so much...
I can't imagine this happening. the 1000HE already gives more than 7 hours of battery life, and supposedly can run win7 without a problem.

G

Intel doesn't have to make an OS to protect their CPU sales. They have a legal restriction on screen size for that -- can't use an Atom and go over 10.5 inches in screen. And look at Asus...why would Intel want each manufacturer creating an OS. What a mess. If they can standardize, they have the holy grail of controlling both the OS and the CPU which also gives them a great hammer to use against Microsoft when negotiating future terms. And it's a win for HW manufactures because the license will be cheaper than forcing Windows and less support headaches than putting a very end user unfriendly standard Linux distro on the netbook. Anybody that says the average user can use a Linux distro has not met my parents or my ex-girlfriend. There's a reason "free" hasn't come close to any real market share yet in spite of Open Office and Ubuntu. And if Apple can play the piggyback off of Linux game, so can Intel.

Status
Not open for further replies.