Intel's Mobin 2.1 Will Compete with Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

foody

Distinguished
May 7, 2009
I think Intel is beginning to think they can take over the world. I must have read at least 10 or 15 articles surrounding Intel in the pass week or so.

G

if this is the direction intel is going. with that being them branching into practically ever corner of the electronics market. may god help us all

tektek

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
Hey.. lets wait and see.. if it works..then great we have more options.. if not.. we still have what we always had... hmmm well after saying that.. i truely hope it does work..

Kelavarus

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
... I fail to see how it's competing with Windows if it's not competing at the desktop level.

And by the way, this is the second Kevin Parrish article with a typo in the title in a short time. Maybe he's omitting letters on purpose to give us a message or something? :0

It's code!

zipz0p

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2008
[citation][nom]kelavarus[/nom]... I fail to see how it's competing with Windows if it's not competing at the desktop level.And by the way, this is the second Kevin Parrish article with a typo in the title in a short time. Maybe he's omitting letters on purpose to give us a message or something? :0It's code![/citation]
Nope - he is just made of fail.

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
[citation][nom]kelavarus[/nom]... I fail to see how it's competing with Windows if it's not competing at the desktop level.And by the way, this is the second Kevin Parrish article with a typo in the title in a short time. Maybe he's omitting letters on purpose to give us a message or something? :0It's code![/citation]

it's UL so far... hmmmmm

21-12 if you use the numbers...

jaragon13

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
[citation][nom]foody[/nom]I think Intel is beginning to think they can take over the world. I must have read at least 10 or 15 articles surrounding Intel in the pass week or so.[/citation]
They had this thing called "IDF"
Or, long, Intel Developers Forum.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
Intel as a hardware manufacturer has to be careful of the feet they step on. If Intel truly becomes a threat to Microsoft or they try to do what they did to nVidia, then Microsoft is gonna pull the rug out from under them.

Manos

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
[citation][nom]falchard[/nom]Intel as a hardware manufacturer has to be careful of the feet they step on. If Intel truly becomes a threat to Microsoft or they try to do what they did to nVidia, then Microsoft is gonna pull the rug out from under them.[/citation]

No only I agree with that but I think Intel is smart enough to not go that way even as a joke.. I really see no reason why not in everything else than the desktop part. When it comes to desktop I dont think they consider doing anything, plus the fact that no gamer, no O/Cer and no casual user etc will change OS... We all know ow hard will be for many to move from XP to Windows 7 which is great. And you are telling me ppl will change to Mobin? I dont think they are meant to be desktop Os eitherway and I dont know why its stated on the article.

Blessedman

Distinguished
May 29, 2001
yeah I think Intel of all companies needs to be careful with entering into the Linux market place as M$ still owns a few IP's that are in use in Linux. With Intel starting to threaten M$'s, they very well might start to yank on those patents.

G

Yeah, Intel can magically make a Linux OS that will be accepted by the mainstream, just like they can make great GPUs...

/sarcasm

The ONLY, I repeat, ONLY way that Intel can pull it off is if they strong-arm the OEMs into including it instead of Windows, which won't hurt my feelings, as long as Moblin stays 100% open-source. I have to wonder what their motive is for doing this, though...

G

In the spirit of open-source, Intel has made sure that this can only run on THEIR hardware, since they've made their proprietary SSSE3 (with 3 's') a requirement to run it. Apparently they wouldn't want it running on any AMD hardware, as if there aren't 10,000 other Linux distros that AMD users can use.

G

Oops, quote from moblin.org to back that up:

System Requirements:

* CPU: Intel(r) Atom(tm) or Intel(r) Core(tm) 2 CPU (support for SSSE3)
Note: Moblin will not work on non-SSSE3 CPUs

annymmo

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
[citation][nom]Blessedman[/nom]yeah I think Intel of all companies needs to be careful with entering into the Linux market place as M$ still owns a few IP's that are in use in Linux. With Intel starting to threaten M$'s, they very well might start to yank on those patents.[/citation]

Microsoft says it has, and of course, doesn't show them.
Tries to lure companies into all kinds of contracts.
Because the Linux Developers work around them very fast.
Currently, Microsofts IP threat to Linux is going downhill!
Search for FAT patents.

There is now OIN which tres to collect patents to PROTECT Linux:
http://www.computerweekly.com/Articles/2009/09/09/237622/oin-secures-ex-microsoft-linux-patents.htm

http://blogs.gartner.com/brian_pren...se-of-linux-patents-really-says-about-trolls/

Go OIN, GO!!

annymmo

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
AMD supports SSE3:
The AMD64 core provides leading-edge performance for both 32-bit and 64-bit applications

* AMD64 technology provides full-speed support for x86 code base without compromising performance
* 40-bit physical addresses, 48-bit virtual addresses
* Sixteen 64-bit integer registers
* Sixteen 128-bit SSE/SSE2/SSE3 registers
* AMD Digital Media XPress™ provides support for SSE, SSE2, SSE3 and MMX instructions

http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/processors/athlon/Pages/amd-athlon-processors-key-architectural-features.aspx

G

annymo: WRONG, re-read what I said:

"SSSE3 (with 3 's')"

SSSE3 was introduced with Core 2
SSE3 was introduced with Pentium IV, and is also supported on AMD CPUs

Most people don't realize that SSSE3 accounted for the lion's share of Core2's advantage over AMD, hence Intel made it the first non-open SSE revision. SSSE3 allowed execution of 2 64 bit SSE3 instructions simultaneously.

g00ey

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
Although Android is a step in the right direction it is still closed in many regards so I think it is good that other developers bring even more open platforms. Even Nokia is going to develop an open-source platform besides their Symbian platform.

bliq

Distinguished
[citation][nom]falchard[/nom]Intel as a hardware manufacturer has to be careful of the feet they step on. If Intel truly becomes a threat to Microsoft or they try to do what they did to nVidia, then Microsoft is gonna pull the rug out from under them.[/citation]

I think it's the other way around... Windows doesn't run on any other platform but Intel (remember that AMD licenses Intel's IP, they don't own it), but Intel has a lot of other business other than Windows- ICs, Apple, phones, etc. They actually have the power to turn the world upside down, not that the government is likely to let them do it. Plus it would still be a bad business decision.

G

bill-tb: +1. AFAIK, since moblin is using the Linux kernel among other things, Intel may not be able to legally prevent people from deriving new distros from Moblin(especially since Intel turned Moblin over to the Linux Foundation).

I might consider making an AMD/ATI compatible moblin-based OS myself, just out of spite for Intel :D It might be a fairly simple process that could be completed in only a month or two, basically:

Re-add the kernel modules for supporting other hardware that were originally removed by Intel.

Remove any Cflags or ASM code(if any) that references SSSE3

Then add the obligatory splash screen that basically rubs it in that it supports AMD :D

Status
Not open for further replies.