Intel's New Atoms: 2 GHz Z550, 1.2 GHz Z515

Status
Not open for further replies.

onerec

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2009
I hope AMD/ATI produce processors for netbooks and nettops to have better competition.It helps customer to lessen Intel's overpriced products. I'm pretty sure that Intel will charge more $$ for these new processors.

StupidRabbit

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
Well in that case its prime time for intel to milk the cash cow.. AMD would have to come up with a direct competitor. Until then, we'll just be seeing nothing else in the netbook spec list. Maybe a little VIA.

But on the other hand, i would likte to see some underclocked versions in smaller devices than netbooks.

G

the regular Atom processor (1,6Ghz)was barely able to run Vista (and Win 7); what makes intel think a 1,2Ghz will be any better?
Good enough for linux.
Windows XP was on the edge with previous Atom 1,2Ghz processor, barely allowing you to watch youtube video's in Firefox,while IE just requested too many system resources for the tiny processor to handle all.

As far as the Z550,it'll probably be too expensive, but will hopefully reduce the price of the 1,8Ghz Atom Z.

G

single core with HT enabled. In Windows XP it will appear as a dual core.

sunraycer

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
Yeah, my 330 show up as 4 in XP. Think the dual core 330 would be better than the 2.0GHz Z550? Suppose it depends on the tasks (ability to use the second core (third or forth threads?)).

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
The reason we never saw any 1.8GHz netbooks was because Intel was charging more than twice the price compared to the 1.6GHz Atoms. Unless Intel reduces the price of the 1.8GHz (and the new 2.0GHz), we still won't see it in any netbooks. How do you justify putting an $80 Atom into a 12" "netbook" when for the same cost you can put in a Athlon with integrated ATI graphics and get more than twice the performance? And if you think people care that much about the extra power consumption, they wouldn't be making 12" netbooks in the first place.

G

These companies are trying to pollute the already poisoned earth. They make junks and claim technological break through but actually, ATOM and similar class by competitors are making backward leaning generation in a shrinkage designed fabrication. If they really care, these company should make extreme low power consumption quad cores instead and make sure all notebook's like desktop, upgradeable.

G

As long as there is a potential market increase, manufacturers will always be encourage to participate in the competition.

Imagine if you are AMD/ATI/NVIDIA CEO, seeing 13 million to possible 100+ million market increase (please correct me if I'm wrong) by 2010, will you not send for a close door meeting to grab a share of the market for your corporation? Until then, netbook will always be here with us.

Status
Not open for further replies.