News Intel's new CPU socket may not need custom contact frames to improve CPU temperatures anymore — the LGA1851 socket allegedly features optional "Re...

All Intel needed to do from the start is use an ILM with the design of the LGA2011/2066 one, but OEMs are cheap. I'm still surprised they didn't have one like that as an alternative, but perhaps that's what this one will end up being though the LGA2011/2066 has more mounting pressure than LGA1700.

Given how Intel, and AMD, CPU's boost speed is based on temperature, a lower temperature will only help "default operation" as well as manual overclockers. If it only costs board makers $1 to implement, it sounds to me like they're wanting to create more segmentation between "budget" and "premium" models.

Given how Intel, and AMD, CPU's boost speed is based on temperature, a lower temperature will only help "default operation" as well as manual overclockers. If it only costs board makers $1 to implement, it sounds to me like they're wanting to create more segmentation between "budget" and "premium" models.
Honestly I think the whole thing has a lot more to do with OEM sales than board partners because I'm pretty sure board partners would be fine with the additional cost for retail boards. If you're Dell/HP/Lenovo the added cost becomes millions that they'd rather not spend as it hits their bottom line.

I'm pretty sure if two ILMs are available though you're right with regards to it being an additional segmentation point.

YSCCC

Notable
Dec 10, 2022
Why on earth would they not make the improved ILM the default one instead of making it like an upgrade?! a $1 cost to not making your name stinks seems more than worthwhile to make it the default

Kondamin

Great
Jun 12, 2024
Why on earth would they not make the improved ILM the default one instead of making it like an upgrade?! a $1 cost to not making your name stinks seems more than worthwhile to make it the default
Because practically no one cares about it as the default is good enough and a dollar extra for millions of items sold is millions of dollars

TheHerald

Notable
Feb 15, 2024
I've tried a 3rd party Ilm on 2 different boards with 3 different cpus. For the life of me couldn't really tell the difference. There was maybe a 3c difference when pushing 330 watts + on a 14900k but I can't be absolute sure about that either. It really doesn't make much of a difference, especially for normal use cases.

May 21, 2024
I know there's a lot to do, but I'm starting to see the "changes" of having had finance CEOs for years and now instead there is a CEO who is a technician, one of the industry to be clear, in my opinion he has the cards to compete against Lisa