Question Intel's new Ice Lake

DanteKid

Reputable
Jun 29, 2019
Are we going to talk about the new i3s and i5s because the specs look wild. The new i3s are going to have the same core/thread amount as the i7s from Kaby Lake and earlier and the frequency is high too. So what, are the i3s going to be more powerful than the i7s released like 3 years ago for the price of 130$? And the i5s will have a 6 cores/12 threads amount just like Ryzen 5s and the i7 Extreme line-up for the price starting from 180$ and higher clocks? I don't know, but it's either the competition pushing Intel to lower the prices or the new processors will have a weaker single core score just like AMD' CPUs, because 10 cores/20 threads with a TDP of 65W even with a frequency of 2.7 GHz sounds like either the 14nm+++ is doing magic or they made the single core power lower.
I'm seriously thinking of waiting for the release of Ice Lake to upgrade my CPU but I'm a bit skeptical since the motherboards can cost a ton just like when Coffee Lake was released and the only motherboards you could find were overpriced Z370s from MSI. Please tell me what I should do because it sucks sitting on a 6 year old i3.

InvalidError

Titan
Icelake (10nm) is not coming to desktop, only to laptops as far as the consumer space is concerned. Intel's most recent leaked roadmap have no plans for sub-14nm desktop CPUs until at least 2021.

Comet Lake (Skylake re-re-re-refresh) on 14nm++++++++++++++++++ is the next desktop generation and there is no ETA on those still, most recent guesstimate I have seen is "not until 2020" so you may end up waiting for a while. By then, 4th-gen Ryzen on 7nm+ likely with refined IO die and a hopefully more power-efficient implementation of PCIe 4.0 may only be a few more months away.

DanteKid

Reputable
Jun 29, 2019
Icelake (10nm) is not coming to desktop, only to laptops as far as the consumer space is concerned. Intel's most recent leaked roadmap have no plans for sub-14nm desktop CPUs until at least 2021.

Comet Lake (Skylake re-re-re-refresh) on 14nm++++++++++++++++++ is the next desktop generation and there is no ETA on those still, most recent guesstimate I have seen is "not until 2020" so you may end up waiting for a while. By then, 4th-gen Ryzen on 7nm+ likely with refined IO die and a hopefully more power-efficient implementation of PCIe 4.0 may only be a few more months away.
There's a post on WCCFTECH, but they say it's only a "rumor" https://wccftech.com/intel-10th-gen-comet-lake-desktop-cpu-lineup-leak-lga-1159-socket-rumor/