News Intel's Next-Gen LGA 7529 Xeon Platform to Deliver 500W per CPU, 12-Channel DDR5

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
I guess air cooling is out of the question.
I'm pretty sure you can still air-cool a 500 W CPU, in a server. If not, then many of their server customers simply won't run at the top power spec supported by the socket.

Remember, the package will be huge, and the inside of these servers is like a wind tunnel. That makes the cooling problem a fair bit easier than if we were talking about a desktop CPU.

Reactions: Amdlova

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
These are very interesting (note: I didn't say good), as they increase the burst size to 128 bytes. That poses a compromise for CPUs that natively transact in 64-byte cachelines, and makes MCR slightly worse than standard DDR5-8000 would be. If you happened to want both consecutive cachelines, great. Otherwise, you still pay most of the price.

AST26000 module
Ugh. Why doesn't Intel just make their own BMC and get rid of ASpeed. Integrate it into the southbridge, and it would also cut the BOM and simplify server designs.

Amdlova

Distinguished
500w on a multiple dies why not... people can cooler the 13900ks Xyz edition little dissipation area. The hottest cpu in have overclock is the pentium D 805 @ 4.3ghz draws at the wall 410w and have it done with a air cooler with a secondary fan at 5000 rpm.

Reactions: bit_user

dalek1234

Reputable
Sep 27, 2019
500w on a multiple dies why not... people can cooler the 13900ks Xyz edition little dissipation area. The hottest cpu in have overclock is the pentium D 805 @ 4.3ghz draws at the wall 410w and have it done with a air cooler with a secondary fan at 5000 rpm.

Let's roughly convert "At The Wall" to "At The CPU" so that we are comparing apples to apples: Pentium D 805 came out about 17 years ago. Back then, PSUs were about 60% efficient. This means that out of the 410w of "at the wall" power draw, 246 watts was being fed to the motherboard, while the rest was wasted as heat (mostly). You then have to account for the power draw of everything in your PC that isn't your CPU (Motherboard itself, Graphics Card, RAM, Fans, HDD, CD-ROM, etc). Out of those 246 Watts, your OC'ed Pentium would have used less then 200 Watts itself. Perhaps even considerably less. At stock of 2.66 GHz , that CPU is rated at only 95 Watt TDP.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Pentium D 805 came out about 17 years ago. Back then, PSUs were about 60% efficient.
A peak load ?? That seems a little hard to believe.

PSUs tend to be most efficient near peak load*. Efficiency drops the further away from it you get. Just make sure you're looking at the right number. Here's a contemporaneous source, in case there's any doubt about whether they same principle held back then:

In 2007, Anandtech's roundup of 400 - 450 W PSUs found peak efficiency ranging from 75% (outlier) to 85%:

all-eff-120.png

Their roundup of 750 - 900 W PSUs found peak efficiency ranging from 81% to 84%

eff-all-120.png
So, to compute the PSU's output, you really need to ask @Amdlova what PSU was in use, or at least how many W it was rated for. Also, those articles include different efficiency data for 230 VAC, so that's another relevant parameter.

* This is one reason not to buy a PSU rated massively beyond the load you expect it to experience. Leaving some headroom is definitely wise.

Last edited:

dalek1234

Reputable
Sep 27, 2019
A peak load ??

---
So, to compute the PSU's output, you really need to ask @Amdlova what PSU was in use, or at least how many W it was rated for. Also, those articles include different efficiency data for 230 VAC, so that's another relevant parameter.

PSU make/model would be handy as @Amdlova could have been using one that came out more than 17 years ago. I reuse my PSUs from build to build, and as a result, I used my previous PSU for 12 years before it died.

@Amdlova . Do you still know what make/model PSU that was and if was running in a ~120 or ~230 Volt environment?

Reactions: Amdlova

Amdlova

Distinguished
PSU make/model would be handy as @Amdlova could have been using one that came out more than 17 years ago. I reuse my PSUs from build to build, and as a result, I used my previous PSU for 12 years before it died.

@Amdlova . Do you still know what make/model PSU that was and if was running in a ~120 or ~230 Volt environment?
Lol Yes it's thermaltake 600w with big noise and ripple. What made build this exotic build is the toms hardware. https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/dual-41-ghz-cores,1253-27.html

Here in my country we use 127v mono phase with neutral and 227v with two phases. Because my old home don't have ground or a switch breaker I can use 60 amps on 127v before I can put fire in the house. Third world don't have rules if you are stupid enough you will die and anybody care ;)

Reactions: bit_user