Intel's playing catch-up

enigma067

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2007
Intel's Nehalem Desktop Chips to Be Called Core I7

Sumner Lemon, IDG News Service

Sunday, August 10, 2008 12:10 PM PDT

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscent...halem_desktop_chips_to_be_called_core_i7.html

The high-end desktop versions of Intel's Nehalem processor family will carry the Core i7 moniker when they are released later this year.

Nehalem, which Intel executives will detail at the upcoming Intel Developer Forum conference in San Francisco, includes multiple processor cores as well as an integrated memory controller hub to improve performance -- a feature that is currently only available on x86 processors from rival Advanced Micro Devices.

The Nehalem chips will be manufactured using Intel's 45-nanometer manufacturing process.

Intel's current processor family is called Core 2, an apparent reference to both the use of multiple cores on these chips and the company's current microarchitecture, which is called Core. The Nehalem family will also use the Core brand, but Intel will drop the numeral two when referring to these chips.

Within the Nehalem family, chips designed for different types of computers will have individual sub-brands, such as the i7 brand that will be attached to the high-end desktop chips, called Core i7, said Ruby Au, a company spokeswoman in Hong Kong.

Other names will be used for Core processors intended for other types of computers, she said.

Nehalem is set to be the principal focus of IDF, much as Centrino Atom was the focus at IDF in Shanghai during April. But senior company executives slated to speak at IDF will also discuss other products, including system-on-chips designed for entertainment devices and an upcoming quad-core mobile processor, Au said.

The quad-core mobile processor was scheduled to be released this month, but Au said the chip is not likely to be released during IDF. "We are just planning to share some additional information about the chip," she said.

---<moderatot edit>---
Please quote and link properly...its a matter of copyright infringment

thunderman

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2007
All too little to late and a failure...AMD will have Deneb, that is backwards compatible with AM2+ Motherboards. Intel requires current Core2 users to replace their whole platform including the use of expensive DDR 3 Memory. Intel will stop overclocking on all but their High-end Chips....Enthusiasts will switch to 45nm AMD black edition CPU's.

Nehalem is a flop! Deneb has already impressed technical experts!

Support the Masters AMD! Evil must not win (Intel)!

AMD4Life!!

--<EDIT>--

It has been exlained to you before, and documented with reliable links by several other posters here that Intel will not "stop overclocking"

If you continue to spread this FUD, you will be banned

johnnyq1233

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2007
yes way back in the dinosaur days of computing....lol
I'm hoping nehalem will be the biggest thing to hit pcs this decade.
With a quad core you'll see 8 virtual cores! Man that's a site I look forward to seeing....
Hopefully the ht will do good things for the processor.
I personally don't plan on upgrading till the prices settle, as my E6400 does everything I need it to.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
Hilarious thread, I got a good laugh.

enigma067, you look like a complete idiot. As always thunderman, you are right there with him.

I just hope Intel goes easy on AMD, or AMD gets their act together, I really don't want to be bent over on a new CPU.

spuddyt

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2007

can anyone check if he isn't just "with him" but actually "is him", since I don't think there can be too many rabid AMD fans in the world.....

polar-bear-face-palm_thumbnail1.jpg

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005

Turpit, who gets dinged for copyright violations? The poster, or the site...???

Just curious.

Back on topic, I'll wait to see reliable benchmarks before I make judgement, but I think I'm with Zorg on this one. If these chips are as good as preliminary tests seem to show, and Intel prices them competively, AMD may be in even more trouble than they are now. And we consumers don't need ' no AMD'.

Yeah, we do need AMD. For one thing, they will either invent good stuff that Intel can copy, or they will try new things and fail and Intel will be able to learn and avoid expensive mistakes. Also, without competition, Intel would be able to raise its prices. It would in fact HAVE TO raise prices, because shareholders will demand it.

I saw an article promising that 3 Nehalem CPUs will be released this year, and the cheapest one was priced at $284 IIRC.

FatFunkey

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
............................................________........................
....................................,.-‘”...................``~.,..................
.............................,.-”...................................“-.,............
.........................,/...............................................”:,........
.....................,?......................................................\,.....
.................../...........................................................,}....
................./......................................................,:`^`..}....
.............../...................................................,:”........./.....
..............?.....__.........................................:`.........../.....
............./__.(.....“~-,_..............................,:`........../........
.........../(_....”~,_........“~,_....................,:`........_/...........
..........{.._$;_......”=,_.......“-,_.......,.-~-,},.~”;/....}...........
...........((.....*~_.......”=-._......“;,,./`..../”............../............
...,,,___.\`~,......“~.,....................`.....}............../.............
............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-”...............
............/.`~,......`-...............................\....../\...................
.............\`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....\,__...........
,,_..........}.>-._\...................................|..............`=~-,....
.....`=~-,_\_......`\,.................................\........................
...................`=~-,,.\,...............................\.......................
................................`:,,...........................`\..............__..
.....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``.......
........................................_\..........._,-%.......`\...............
...................................,<`.._|_,-&``................`\..............

skywalker9952

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2007
I am kind of interested in what kind of reliable links have been provided to prove intel will not stop overclocking in their entry and mid level nehalem processors. The only things I could find where a discussion on THF on intel stopping overclocking from fudzilla:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/250245-28-nehalem-mainstream-overclocking

And an article from THG saying Intel would not stop overclocking but providing no technical details at all. http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Intel-Nehalem,5607.html

From my understanding of the new architecture you need an unlocked multiplier to OC it and Intel has proven they only sell unlocked multipliers for ~$1000. The THG article doesn't mention if an unlocked multiplier is needed. From what I have been able to dig up in 20 minutes of searching it appears as though some of thunderman's FUD (the part you are objecting to) may not be FUD and may in fact be reality. The fact that you are threatening a ban surprises and concerns me. But maybe I am totally wrong and couldn't find those reliable links in my 20 minutes of search, so please enlightne me either way. Thanks

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006

The site

Just_An_Engineer

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2008

You can OC one of these chips without and unlocked multiplier, but it is more difficult to do. People can OC AMD processors just fine even without the unlocked multiplier. A few years back during the socket 939 days it was quite popular to buy and Athlon 64 3000+ and OC it. Back then the only AMD processors that had unlocked multipliers were the FX series chips.

It should be noted however that both processors and chipsets have gotten more complicated since those days. As has been seen in the recent reviews for the SB750 motherboards, it seems that a certain level of adjustability is needed in the chipset as well as the processors in order to OC chips with this type of architecture to a high degree. Intel will almost assuredly need to implement a similar solution on their motherboards if they wish to retain their reputation for designing chips that are good overclockers.

troll-web.jpg

Tool.

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006

go look through the forum

dobby

Distinguished
May 24, 2006
well im glad to see moderaters actually cooling flames and stopping fanbois 'facts'. keep it up. (you know we really need more mods.)

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006
Over moderation is not what the site is about. Its a free and open site, as much for debating as helping others or passing information.

Whats its not for is corporate shills, liers spamers or advertisers

IRT nehalem, Fudzilla started that rumour about it not overclocking some time ago. At the time the was no information to counter Fuads 'presentation', and as such the position that nehalem couldnt overclock was as valid as the position that it could....and as such it was open to debate. Now, there has been more recent information, including the nehalem demo at computex which Intel openly admited they had overclocked. That Intel itself demoed an overclocked nehalem is incontrovertable. That information has been passed around here, and it had been pointed out to thunderman. For him to continue using the argument when it has been disproved indicates he is either schilling or willfully spreading lies...both of which are violations of TOS.

skywalker9952

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2007
Lol turpit you don't even counter Thundermans argument. He has never claimed that intel would make un-overclockable chips just that they would only let you OC the EE chips. No one on gods green earth would dispute the fact that Nehalem is overclockable, but to suggest that intel would prevent the overclocking of mid and entry level chips seems reasonable. From what I can gather it will be up to Intel as to whether or not they will design a motherboard with overclocking capabilities for a non EE processor. If you have a link to a site that says intel will allow overclocking in entry and mid level nehalems please let me know.

Some of us dont have thousands of $$ to spend on computers. My last computer cost less then one extreme edition chip, so the overclockability of the non EE chips matter.

In case you glazed over the rest of my post I was concerned with non EE Nehalems ability to overclock (as was thunderman). It still seems to me to be in question and therefore a valid position

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006

That would be because the issue, like so many others, has already been beaten to death in other threads within the forum. In fact, Thunderman himself has been directly "educated" on the subject. As such, to do so yet again would be a waste of time. Further, thundeman already having the correct information, is either deliberatly spreading FUD, trolling, or a shill.

Read the forum