News Intel's Raja Koduri Shows Off Huge Mysterious Chip: Is This a Gargantuan Xe GPU?

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
Wait until release and I am sure AMD will stop this chip from release claiming it steals some patents from them... even if it turns out to be false it will delay intel for sure from selling their products.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Wait until release and I am sure AMD will stop this chip from release claiming it steals some patents from them... even if it turns out to be false it will delay intel for sure from selling their products.
And where is the precedent for that? AMD and Intel have a long history of cross-licensing IP. I don't recall either ever seeking an injunction to prevent the other from actually shipping product.

I'm not saying it definitely won't happen, but I think your outrage is a little premature.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
[Are you saying AMD is stealing Intel's secret?
Raja used to work at AMD (where, rumor has it, he got fired for Vega's poor efficiency and general under-performance). Presumably, that would be the basis for the litigation.

However, if you look at Raja's role at Intel, he's not wearing an architect's hat. Doesn't mean no IP leaked along with him, but they've probably been careful to keep him removed from product design decisions by enough to steer mostly clear of that minefield.

Shadowclash10

Prominent
May 3, 2020
I wonder if the chip he is holding isn't really real - it just looks like the real thing? I mean, whatever the chip is, for something that big, it must be somewhat expensive, right?

CerianK

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008
Sorry, I was distracted by the fact that I don't have a job where I can get press coverage at the drop of a hat for showing off my "big 'fabulous' package." Raja is indeed a funny guy... but I don't think AMD or Nvidia will be laughing when they release that monster (except for perhaps just a few seconds when they see the price).