News Intel's Raja Koduri Shows Off Xe-HPG Gaming GPU with 512 EUs

thGe17

Reputable
Sep 2, 2019
Raja Koduri: it's coming real soon, as soon as our 10nm is mature enough we'll release it(ie. never).
A stupid post: Xe-HPG is manufactured by TSMC and has nothing to do with their own 10nm.

Additionally the launch window is known already for some time and why should they stop teasing upcoming products? AMD has done the same only few hours ago with cache-pimped Zen3's which will not be available until 2022.
AMD has even officially announced a good product availability immediatly prior to the Zen3/BigNavi launch by Azor and Herkelman and after that it was a pure desaster.

ezst036

Honorable
Oct 5, 2018
Yeah, the teasers are a bit old at this point.

However, when the day comes that Intel gets it manufacturing woes straightened out having this kind of fabbing juggernaut in the video card arena will be quite a thing to behold in future mining waves. Intel won't rely on TSMC forever. The next video card scarcity that could have been might never be.

Intel surely needs the influx of new cash from a new video card line which will in part help resolve their fab issues. At least, it all looks circular to me.

purple_dragon

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2012
I'm actually looking forward to the possibility of buying an Intel GPU. Though it's likely availability will be as poor as AMD and Nvidia. If they are available and performance is less than competitors they will still fly off shelves. Some GPU is better than no GPU. Been trying to get a 3080 since launch.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Well, demand for them is surely going to outstrip supply.

Not a given that TSMC didn't line up a lot of production time for Intel. Slotting them in might be why we don't have as many AMD GPUs, as they would like, on the market.

I actually want a DG1 to play with, but I don't want to buy a $900 PC, that is sold out, to get one.

If a DG2 512 can outperform my 1080, well, maybe. Would be fun to water cool it and see what overclocking options exist.

deesider

Honorable
Jun 15, 2017
I'm actually looking forward to the possibility of buying an Intel GPU. Though it's likely availability will be as poor as AMD and Nvidia. If they are available and performance is less than competitors they will still fly off shelves. Some GPU is better than no GPU. Been trying to get a 3080 since launch.
At least Intel's driver support should be great - they've been fine tuning the iGPU drivers for many years now. Maybe they can squeeze out some extra performance when paired with an Intel cpu based on some optimisations of the two components as well.

btmedic04

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2015
At this point, the Xe-HPG teases just feel like a feeble attempt to remain relevant in the public conscious. Remember when this was supposed to hit the market in 2020? Well, its almost 2 years late. Ill give them a pass for 2020 due to the world wide thing that shall not be named here, but at this point, theyre looking at being competitive with current gen parts for maybe a year at most before AMD and Nvidia launch their next gen

LolaGT

Reputable
Oct 31, 2020
This card is not going to save the day. If it was released tomorrow the chances of the average user buying one is about the same as getting a RTX 3xxx or RX6xxx.
We are half way through 2021, it isn't going to ease up this year, GPUs won't be on the shopping list for BF nor Christmas.

"They are all very excited and a little scared. "

I mean... They better be. This will be their first product in more than 2 decades (maybe 3?) aimed for the gaming market which is filled with unforgiving lil' sheeeeets that were raised by tribes of wild trolls and apes.

The grill will not be quick and most definitely unforgiving if it fails to run games.

Also, their current track record with drivers is not really impressive, like at all. This is one monumental task for that team and it'll break or do Xe's adoption.

All the best for their Drivers team and I hope they can manage expectations accordingly if their drivers aren't quite ready at launch. I want them to succeed since we need more competition in this market, but darn it, I can not give them the benefit of the doubt.

Cheers!

I mean... They better be. This will be their first product in more than 2 decades (maybe 3?) aimed for the gaming market which is filled with unforgiving lil' sheeeeets that were raised by tribes of wild trolls and apes.

The grill will not be quick and most definitely unforgiving if it fails to run games.

Also, their current track record with drivers is not really impressive, like at all. This is one monumental task for that team and it'll break or do Xe's adoption.

All the best for their Drivers team and I hope they can manage expectations accordingly if their drivers aren't quite ready at launch. I want them to succeed since we need more competition in this market, but darn it, I can not give them the benefit of the doubt.

Cheers!
Their gaming drivers have been crap, but their drivers in general always included all the newest standards like dx12 vulcan openCL and so on, even if it fails at gaming when it first comes out if it does well enough in compute it will still be a success, it just won't help gamers in their quest for a GPU.

Their gaming drivers have been crap, but their drivers in general always included all the newest standards like dx12 vulcan openCL and so on, even if it fails at gaming when it first comes out if it does well enough in compute it will still be a success, it just won't help gamers in their quest for a GPU.
Look at how they're building the hype: gaming.

That won't fly with any media outlet that receives a GPU and can't run games or crashes left right and center.

Remember the 5700XT launch. Intel can't afford one of those, even if it can excel at something not related to gaming.

Also, I'll have to completely disagree with the "basic" driver support. They still can't do multiple screen properly and can't even handle refresh rates correctly. Sure, on paper they have plenty. Does it actually work? No, not really.

Regards.

Reactions: King_V
Look at how they're building the hype: gaming.

That won't fly with any media outlet that receives a GPU and can't run games or crashes left right and center.

Remember the 5700XT launch. Intel can't afford one of those, even if it can excel at something not related to gaming.

Also, I'll have to completely disagree with the "basic" driver support. They still can't do multiple screen properly and can't even handle refresh rates correctly. Sure, on paper they have plenty. Does it actually work? No, not really.

Regards.
Especially right now it doesn't matter in the least how the media will receive them, the media received rocket lake and comet lake very badly and sales for intel only went up.
If the first gen flops with the media but sells well due to compute or for any other reason, by the time the second gen comes around everything will be set to zero again.
Also, I'll have to completely disagree with the "basic" driver support. They still can't do multiple screen properly and can't even handle refresh rates correctly.
I'm not gonna disagree with you on that because I lack the knowledge, but since the iGPUs don't have ports of their own couldn't those problems come from the mobos being cheap just as easily?!

Especially right now it doesn't matter in the least how the media will receive them, the media received rocket lake and comet lake very badly and sales for intel only went up.
If the first gen flops with the media but sells well due to compute or for any other reason, by the time the second gen comes around everything will be set to zero again.
I'm sure there will be people (fanbois) buying them regardless of any numbers and/or metrics of them, sure. And I don't really trust Intel sales numbers as they put OEMs in that same category, which are pretty much hostages at this point. Maybe the same will happen with Xe? Time will tell.
I'm not gonna disagree with you on that because I lack the knowledge, but since the iGPUs don't have ports of their own couldn't those problems come from the mobos being cheap just as easily?!
Considering I'm using a Dell Precision for work and I've been using them for a good part of 10 years now, there hasn't been a single generation of Intel's iGPUs problem/hassle free. None. I've had some with AMD FirePro and the current one with a nVidia Quadro. Same gremlins when using the iGPU. I've always had to find a way to use the dGPU instead when powering multiple screens so they don't get borked and actually become usable.

That is why I just can't give Intel the benefit of the doubt they'll actually do a good job and can only hope they just come clean if they have issues at launch with a promise to fix stuff later on instead of just playing the Marketing heavy card they usually do.

Regards.

Reactions: Phaaze88

Hahaha! I was thinking something along these lines too.
Unfortunately, I think Intel is already aiming too low. If the flagship card is expected to potentially compete with the RTX 3080 their media team should be shouting it from the rooftops! After reading the articles and viewing the slides I can't help but walk away with the feeling that it's just a niche datacenter GPU or an 'okay' gaming GPU. Intel needs to correct this line of thinking NOW, before release, if they want it to succeed.

InvalidError

Titan
Unfortunately, I think Intel is already aiming too low. If the flagship card is expected to potentially compete with the RTX 3080 their media team should be shouting it from the rooftops!
The pricing ($400-600) looks more in line with 3060-3070. Were it not for crypto mining bound to clean shelves as long as mining performance and power efficiency are decent, I would expect Intel to end up having to drop prices by a rung or two on the ladder due to driver and performance issues in games since Intel has a ~20 years long history at sucking at graphics drivers.

It should probably have taken an RX470-580 style approach of aiming for the $160-200 mass-market first where expectations aren't quite as high and people may be more willing to tolerate some quirks for decent performance at a reasonable price.

Reactions: King_V