News Intel's Raja Koduri Teases Pictures of Xe-HP GPUs

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
A single 8-pin can deliver up to 225W safely

Last time I checked it was 150 watts for 8 pins PCIe connector?

also looking at the card , single slot , and passive cooled , how can this card cool 150+75 watts power used ? something is not right here

EovX5w3U8AUPzuc

escksu

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 8, 2019
Last time I checked it was 150 watts for 8 pins PCIe connector?

also looking at the card , single slot , and passive cooled , how can this card cool 150+75 watts power used ? something is not right here

EovX5w3U8AUPzuc

These are server GPUs, they use the fans in the rack units for cooling. ITs not passive.

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
These are server GPUs, they use the fans in the rack units for cooling. ITs not passive.

Anything without a fan on top is called passive .. PC airflow does not mean it is not passive .

Besides , look at the Pic , they are one slot thin cards , Air flow there needs a blower fan on top .. air wont be pushed inside from Server fans enough.

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
A single 8-pin can deliver up to 225W safely, and the PCIe slot can deliver 75W; we're looking at a possible 300W maximum power draw for the card.

Correct this please . the 225 is the Total 150 (8 pins power) +75 (motherboard) = 225W

and there is no possible 300 watts here

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
It's too bad Intel's consumer GPUs aren't ready yet. This would be the perfect time to collect market share given the supply problems Nvidia and AMD have been having. I still wouldn't trust Intel to not kill support for their GPU products in a few years, but there's no denying that people are doing/paying crazy things for GPUs right now.

Besides , look at the Pic , they are one slot thin cards , Air flow there needs a blower fan on top .. air wont be pushed inside from Server fans enough.
You underestimate what server fans are capable of. There's a reason why people at the office quip about jets taxiing for takeoff when someone powers on a server that had been off. Likewise, people compare the backs of some of the servers to hair dryers. Most components are designed to take advantage of the array of powerful fans near the front. I'm not sure that much airflow and noise qualifies as generic case airflow -- seems more like active cooling with detached fans.

neojack

Reputable
Apr 4, 2019
14 nm GPUs are back again yay !
RX580 returns in 2021.
namecode for the process : Nostalgia

the "enthousiast" card would have 2-4 of those lol

that or it's yet another competitor for TSMC's 7nm wafers

as for the drivers, i would not be too worried. they make GPUs too since a long time, inside their CPUs. Their drivers support is pretty good.

Correct this please . the 225 is the Total 150 (8 pins power) +75 (motherboard) = 225W

and there is no possible 300 watts here
https://www.gpuminingresources.com/p/psu-cables.html

The 150W rating is an artificial limit most likely for "covering all bases" safety reasons. If you build the connectors to the appropriate specifications as defined by Molex (who designed it) and use the appropriately sized wires, you can get well over 150W on an 8-pin PCIe power cable.

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
https://www.gpuminingresources.com/p/psu-cables.html

The 150W rating is an artificial limit most likely for "covering all bases" safety reasons. If you build the connectors to the appropriate specifications as defined by Molex (who designed it) and use the appropriately sized wires, you can get well over 150W on an 8-pin PCIe power cable.

The writer mistake is clear , he said 225 watts for 8 pins which is actually 150 (8 pins) + 75 (mobo) ... then he added another 75 watts above it. this is not a coincidence.