News Intel's Roadmap Slips: 10nm Sapphire Rapids to Enter Production in 2022

InvalidError

Titan
Absolutely. I'm still glad they have some heavy-weight competition.
A duopoly where both participants are manufacturing-constrained and can achieve 30+% net profit margins isn't competition. In a truly competitive market, you have to worry about competition wanting a piece of your cake when your net profit is significantly above 10%.

Whatever.

The future belongs to AMD, ARM and RISC-V.

Intel needs to die already.
You do realize in past (prior to the core i series) it was flipped. AMD was basically intel and intel was amd.

you need competition. w/o it you get stagnation (ala intel refusing more than quad core saying its not possible then amd showed em up and forced them to release a 6 and 8 core) and price abuse (as if ur the only chocie for top end performance u can charge w/e and they either pay or they dont get it at all)

NeoMorpheus

Reputable
Jun 8, 2021
No Intel just needs to work harder, if they fail what is to stop AMD becoming a new version of Intel?

I already know what Intel is capable of doing and I want no part of it.

Love how everyone has already forgiven them for all the illegal cr@p that they pulled on AMD.

How they held back the industry in what I call 4 core hell just because they were so succesfull in almost killing AMD and the other competitors (RIP Alpha, killed with a lie).

Wanted more than 4 cores? Bend over peasant!

No, I dont want Intel in any way, shape or form.

I hope they do die and AMD, ARM, Apple, Risc-V and the others take over.

Intel already showed us what they do when on top.

And if AMD tries to pull the same cr@p, then the new ones can kill them and make them join Intel in the cemetery.

Kamen Rider Blade

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2013
How they held back the industry in what I call 4 core hell just because they were so succesfull in almost killing AMD and the other competitors (RIP Alpha, killed with a lie).

Just a (PSA/reminder) for those who have forgotten about Quad-Core Hell.

jHqncgU.png

escksu

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 8, 2019

Love how everyone has already forgiven them for all the illegal cr@p that they pulled on AMD.

And if AMD tries to pull the same cr@p, then the new ones can kill them and make them join Intel in the cemetery.

LOL, we are still living largely in quad core territory today. In fact, its already an upgrade from dual cores. Vast majority of the notebooks are still quad core.

InvalidError

Titan
Future belongs to AMD??? Lol.....hope you know that both AMD and Intel are CISC architecture.
The difference between RISC and CISC is pedantic semantics at this point since modern RISC is pretty much as complex as CISC used to be, most new instructions added to "CISC" are fundamentally RISC and practically all modern CPUs regardless of ISA are fundamentally RISC internally.

Reactions: NeoMorpheus

Co BIY

Splendid
A duopoly where both participants are manufacturing-constrained and can achieve 30+% net profit margins isn't competition. In a truly competitive market, you have to worry about competition wanting a piece of your cake when your net profit is significantly above 10%.

It is much much more complicated that. They are manufacturing constrained by the enormous capital investments required to produce each advance in production. (Capital investments that can be quickly made obsolete) It is possible that any of the next major process nodes could be a bad investment leading to enormous losses. As others have pointed out there are plenty of potential competitors out there waiting for or trying to drive a change in the market. Neither Intel or AMD have a huge influence in cell phones. Samsung has cellphones and manufacturing. Apple has cell phones and media. TSMC is driving innovation as much or more than AMD but they can always sell the process to the highest bidder or all the bidders.

Large profits are more about the huge growth in the market than the lack of effective competition.

Howardohyea

Commendable
May 13, 2021

History is history and we're not here to talk about events that are already settled when Intel paid AMD. From my point of view AMD forgave Intel when the lawsuit got settled more than 11 years ago and paid AMD 1.25Billion.

As to your "join Intel in the cemetery." is extremely flawed. Lets assume for a second Intel lost 90% of it's total CPU market share (laptops, desktops, server) to AMD, all the Ethernet products and storage.
In case you haven't realized they have literally the largest foundry in the world, they are larger than TSMC and Samsung Foundry combined. If Intel dedicates all their foundry power they would pose a even greater threat to TSMC and Samsung since Intel is getting more of their customers.

Reactions: Memnarchon

InvalidError

Titan
Large profits are more about the huge growth in the market than the lack of effective competition.
You CANNOT have a huge profit margin in a truly competitive environment because if you do, new competitors will pop up to get a slice of your pie and drag your profits down or compete you out of business. Large corporations 30+% margins are only possible because they have established an oligopoly where it is practically impossible for new players to succeed outside their specific niches. Even if ARM got 1000X faster, people who depend on x86 will still depend on x86 and AMtel literally have that market on lockdown due to patents and non-transferable licenses. It is nearly impossible to get into GPUs without being a mega-corp either due to the patent and licensing minefield, so that market is practically locked-down too. Same goes with telecoms: building a network is expensive and competition means splitting potential subs and income in half or less, so there is intrinsic pressure to avoid overlapping builds and most places only get a choice of one or two hard-wired providers who get to bleed people dry at whatever rates they want because they have a captive audience.

All industries with exorbitant profit margins are mono/duo/oligo-polies there there is only PRETEND competition.

Reactions: Howardohyea

NeoMorpheus

Reputable
Jun 8, 2021
Just a (PSA/reminder) for those who have forgotten about Quad-Core Hell.

jHqncgU.png

Thank you.
LOL, we are still living largely in quad core territory today. In fact, its already an upgrade from dual cores. Vast majority of the notebooks are still quad core.

and you as a customer and consumer is celebrating that because?

Future belongs to AMD??? Lol.....hope you know that both AMD and Intel are CISC architecture.

Thats all I need to know from you.

History is history and we're not here to talk about events that are already settled when Intel paid AMD. From my point of view AMD forgave Intel when the lawsuit got settled more than 11 years ago and paid AMD 1.25Billion.

As to your "join Intel in the cemetery." is extremely flawed. Lets assume for a second Intel lost 90% of it's total CPU market share (laptops, desktops, server) to AMD, all the Ethernet products and storage.
In case you haven't realized they have literally the largest foundry in the world, they are larger than TSMC and Samsung Foundry combined. If Intel dedicates all their foundry power they would pose a even greater threat to TSMC and Samsung since Intel is getting more of their customers.

So that said, we should then forgive the white slavers or anyone that want to idolize or be a Nazi? Hey it happened a million years ago, so it doesnt matter today. They pinky promised that if allowed, they wont do it again.

The excuses posted by many here simply reminds me that todays customers and consumer are so lost in worshiping brands and corporations that they forgot that these corporations are supposed to come and provide to you, not you blindly defending their abuses.

Oh well, what a shame.

escksu

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 8, 2019
Thank you.

and you as a customer and consumer is celebrating that because?

I am fine..... If you see what most users do with their company laptops in office, then I am sure you will also understand why quad core is more than enough, even dual cores will suffice. I do not see how more cores can benefit taks like email, powerpoint, word processing and excel. No doubt there are some complex excel functions that could benefit with more cores. However, most office users do not use them. Even calculation of large excel worksheets are mostly single core task (I frequently see a single core loaded in excel while remaining cores are no utilise).

To date, I do not see how more cores can benefit these users (they made up majority of notebook users).

TRENDING THREADS