Intel's Rosepoint Puts Wi-Fi Radio, Atom CPU on Single Chip

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaedenV

Splendid
for some reason it took me a minute to realize that by wifi radio it simply meant wifi instead of a wifi radio station like I heart radio or something.... where's that coffee...

Anywho, very cool tech! One would think they would have a much easier time putting it on a northbridge instead of the CPU as there should be less interference, but maybe they will have a whole SOC for atom before long, and really be able to compete with the ARM chips on the market for cell phones and such. My contract is up in 2 years... so they better have something good and affordable by then :)

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
Nice, and about time too =D

[citation][nom]guru_urug[/nom]It would be amazing if they manage to use the heatsink as a antenna[/citation]

Thats a hell of an Idea, put a patent on it and sue the crap out of intel =D j/k

blueeyesm

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
'Intel is also looking at ways to radio antennas on-chip, too. '

Should be 'Intel is also looking at ways to put radio antennas on-chip, too. '

loomis86

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2009
If they can put a wi-fi transceiver on a CPU, then they can put any transceiver on a CPU, I would think. How about a TV tuner, AM/FM receiver, weather band, and SW receiver, all crammed onto a CPU? I don't see why it would be difficult to open up the spectrum a little. If they can do it for the ISM band (wi-fi) then they should be able to do it for all radio communications. And why not add GPS to the CPU as well?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS