Intel's Sandy bridge cripple

Computerrock1

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2009
No, unfortunately there is only a small following for AMD and that following is mostly within enthusiasts. The normal buyer will have no idea the diference and will figure, like most people do, the more expensive, the better.

I don't think it's a big deal at all: If you want to Overclock, then simply buy CPU/Chipsets that *do*. Which - (if we take a minute to actually read the presentation slides rather than just swallow what the writers are feeding) - will be available; as stated in the exact same source material. The tiny detail being that an accurate statement like "Some versions will be overclockable and others won't..." doesn't make for increases in traffic to technology websites.

Besides, they're not high end chips. Sandy Bridge is supposed to have an Integrated graphics core, and (just like everything else with integrated graphics) therefore it's going to be aimed primarily at Corporate/economy users. And if someone went to an enthusiast site saying "I want to overclock my <integrated chipset system>..." he'd be laughed out of the place. We should all know this, because we see it all the time.

loneninja

Distinguished
It's worth noting this is for socket 1155, not 2011 which follows in late 2011. I've seen some people talking that current I5/I7 owners will have nothing to upgrade to until socket 2011 comes out. Far as I'm concerned it's mostly just rumor right now, but I doubt Intel will price any of this in my price range any how, so I will probably be going AMD again on my next build. lol

someguynamedmatt

Distinguished
Man, you all have no idea right now how much I hope AMD's Bulldozer will absolutely blow Sandy Bridge out of the water. If i5/i7 owners won't have any upgrade path until Socket 2011 like what loneninja said, then AMD has a perfect opportunity to gain a lot of market share back with a good set of processors. I have high hopes for Bulldozer after reading about it...

...besides faster i5's and i7's, you mean? ;)

I'd also point out that, if you have an i5 or i7 now, there'd be precious little reason to upgrade for another year or two (...or 3... or 4) anyhow. By then (a) socket 2011 will be available and (b) we'll be (debating/screaming/whining/crying/bitching/moaning) about the next thing. :p

+1 to Scotteq.
Myself, I never upgrade just a CPU. The CPU is only one clog in the wheel in terms of performance - it's the sytem that improves performance. I upgrade because I want the new features, ie USB3, Sata 6 and what ever comes after that. I dought that I will need a new cpu for at least 3 years and by that time USB3 and SATA 6 will have matured and parts to take advantage of the increased throughput. So basically - Big deal

daship

Distinguished
Samething was said about the Nehalem, turned out BS. They would shoot themselves in the foot. Currently Intel has 2 6 cores for 1366, priced $900-$1100. No thanks Intel, no matter how loyal I have been.

Im getting ready to buy and amd 6 core since the price is right.

Im not really an AMD guy, but I have never had issues either, I want bang per buck, and if I can overclock for more bang, then great. I hope Bulldozer has something up its sleeves to bring Intel back into reality.

Note to Intel:
Are you aware the World is in a recession? Selling 1 million of your processors for $300 will make you more money then selling 1000 for $1000. Plus the more you make, the more people you can give jobs.

loneninja

Distinguished

If the lack of overclocking on 1155 is true, than anyone who already has an overclocked I5/I7 will be downgrading when they purchase 1155, just as a faster stock I5/I7 for 1156/1366 is pointless to anyone who already overclocked.

Don't believe all the FUD.

Intel is not in the buisness of delivering second rate products that won't sell in the marketplace.
32nm will give them a manufacturing cost advantage. They can get twice the number of chips out of a wafer.
If they want, they can cut the price dramatically.
A better architecture will give better performance on a clock for clock basis.
Appplications that can use the new instructions will get a massive boost.

Overclocking using the current BCLK techniques may or may not be possible.
Turbo boost will be there. Do you really need overclocking if the motherboard bios can change the parameters for turbo boost so that the cpu can boost to insane multipliers?

Upendra09

Distinguished

The employees are not in a recession though, they are fairing VERY well

plus Intel IS HIRING

and intel is only keeping prices mainly because they don't need the FCC biting their behinds again, if they cut processor prices, AMD will eventually die out, and then the FCC monopoly crap blah blah blah

anyway, with all the profit AMD is making, maybe bulldozer will be formidable

its all speculation..........what fun

If Intel cut prices and AMD went bankrupt, then what would most likely happen is that somebody huge like Samsung would come in and buy AMD and then really turn up the heat on Intel. The original x86 licensing contract prohibited AMD from being bought/sold and still keeping its x86 license, but that license had been renegotiated last year with AMD dropping the antitrust suit and getting $1.25B. The "license doesn't transfer if bought" part may not be in there any more since the agreement is private and the exact details only known to AMD and Intel. If that isn't in the current agreement, whoever buys AMD would surely be able to get that concession from Intel in threatening to sue Intel for antitrust violations.

AMD has been doing very well against Intel, to tell the honest truth. The only thing that keeps them from being dominant is having so much less money that Intel that it's not funny. They can't put nearly as much into parallel R&D projects and top-notch fabs like Intel can. If somebody with hundreds of billion in market cap bought them, the playing field would be leveled and AMD's propensity to be competitive no matter what and to bring a lot of genuinely new ideas to market will have them do very well indeed.

Reynod is on SemiAccurate IIRC and most of the rest went to places like XtremeSystems and such.

and of course jennyh is probably in the Zone

Not as far as I can tell.

Upendra09

Distinguished

samsung in the CPU market?

that would be very interesting actually

if someone did buy out AMD, what would they would do with ATI? would it still be under AMD or under the new owner?

Yeah, I'm definitely going to be looking at BD when it comes out. I just hope GF gets their gate-first HKMG problems sorted out (my guess as to what the ramping problems are on 32nm, as mentioned in AMD's conference call for the Q2 earnings report). Otherwise BD will get delayed just as Llano is..

Upendra09

Distinguished
kind of a stupid question but......

will ATI/AMD get more money once Apple switches to them exclusively? as we all know apple charges extra so would ATI get more money compared to a windows counterpart than in the apple desktop?

Haserath

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
I think Apple just pays normal prices, but makes the consumer pay for for their tech. Sure, AMD will get more money since Apple sales are a decent size of the market, but that's only because they will be selling more.

Upendra09

Distinguished
true

with ATI undercutting themselves on pricing.........what is gonna happen to NVidia? could they burn out? or are they too big to burn out? hink of the employees that would get laid off