Intel's Sandy Bridge Info, SSD Roadmap Leaked

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wcooper007

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2006
per my rep he stated that sandybridge will not fuction in a 1156 or 1366 motherboard only in the correct motherboards due to diff pin arangment

G

They removed 1 pin so youd have to upgrade your system, what dicks.

G

[citation][nom]irh_1974[/nom]So instead of a $1000 high end CPU, it's actually a $1250 high end CPU & Mobo combo.Could be worse.They could bludge you for a new RAM type as well.(knock on wood)[/citation]

Then again maybe the memory controller will only want DDR3 2300 and up!

[citation][nom]nukemaster[/nom]Those(6 cores) from what I see are all on 1366 not 1156(i sure hope that 1155 is a typo)[/citation]

LGA 1155 is the new mid end-enthusiast socket for Intel. Its one less pin but AM3 is also a pin or two less. That means backwards compatability is a possibility.

mrecio

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2008
[citation][nom]wcooper007[/nom]well like people always say backwards compatibility isnt always a good thing thats why intel does things the way they do it.. people wanted fast refreshes.. its called tick tock. on the tick you get a refresh on the tock you get a completly new processor and if memory serves we are on the refresh right now so what more can you expect.. i am sorry that AMD cant seem to bring anything new to the market every other year it only takes them what now 5 years.. so ya i can see them being able to make it backwards compatible i am sure intel could do the same thing but they choose not too which in turn speeds up the refresh and the release of new processors. So dont complain i am thankfull they do this quickly makes sure i have the latest and greatest hardware every other year lol...[/citation]

I think you should buy a MAC, since you love to over pay for crap, I bet you like to buy those 80 Dollar HDMI cables as well cause the quality is so much better ya know.

/sarcasm

people like you make me throw up a little each time you speak. Where did you make up this tick tock BS anyways? Intel has made what 4 different socket times in less then that many years? 775 lasted Pentium 4 through core 2 quad, but since 2008 intel has announced 4 new socket types are you kidding? It went from one socket type for desktops for 4 years to 4 sockets in 2 years.

paigeinfull

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009

gnesterenko

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2008
Yet another socket and overpriced hardware. Intel, I'm really looking for a reason to switch back off the AMD platform, but you seem to be doing everything in your power to convince me NOT to. Oh well, guess I'll drop in upgrade to Bulldozer on my Crosshair IV. Maybe next generation you'll figure it out.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

ezodagrom

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
About "LGA1355", there's some rumors that it might actually be LGA2011.
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpus/2010/04/21/intel-sandy-bridge-details-of-the-next-gen/

ares1214

Splendid
Why is everybody so clueless to this? YES, intel made another socket, 1155, not backwards compatible, not a typo. Anything without a K on the end of it likely wont be able to oc more than 100 MHz or so. The K ones will be normal. 6 core cpus wont be coming on this one, only quads and duals. 6 cores stay on 1366 for a while, and then its socket "2011".

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
[citation][nom]irh_1974[/nom]So instead of a $1000 high end CPU, it's actually a $1250 high end CPU & Mobo combo.Could be worse.They could bludge you for a new RAM type as well.(knock on wood)[/citation]

Well, for one, this isn't their high-end platform. This is the bottom feeder platform, like LGA 1156, with all the compromises. They have some pretty good processors in there, but not the top of the line like the $1000 Extreme Edition ones. You'll probably not see a $400 processor. I think they learned their lesson with LGA 1156, where they tried to fly high like an Eagle, and got shot down like a vulture by the market. People weren't as stupid as Intel thought, and rejected it as another high-end platform, but embraced it as a low-end, mid-range.

I don't think it's bad for Intel to introduce a new socket if they throw in SATA 6Gbs, and USB 3.0 onto the chipset. I heard a rumor, hopefully not true, that the chipset still won't support USB 3.0. Especially with the brain-damaged LGA 1155 platform, you really want that on the chipset and not stealing PCIe lanes you already don't have enough of.

jecastej

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2006
"no 6-core CPUs at all???"
"ANOTHER socket…"
"I am desperately waiting for AMD to put competition in the high end market."
"i'm also a little shocked that all of these come with the graphics core"

All valid concerns. Me either.
Also It would be nice if 1155 be compatible with 1156, but I want 1366 Sandy Bridge.
Where is the 1366 Sandy bridge roadmap, is there any, when?
It becomes a headache to know what to pick if you want to upgrade in the future.

Zenthar

Distinguished
New sockets for SandyBridge were announced months ago, they will be LGA1155 and LGA2011 (they will respectively replace LGA1156 and LGA1366). There is even a very good article on the subject on VR-Zone dated 4 months ago.

irh_1974

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
[citation][nom]ta152h[/nom]Well, for one, this isn't their high-end platform. This is the bottom feeder platform, like LGA 1156, with all the compromises. They have some pretty good processors in there, but not the top of the line like the $1000 Extreme Edition ones. You'll probably not see a $400 processor. I think they learned their lesson with LGA 1156, where they tried to fly high like an Eagle, and got shot down like a vulture by the market. People weren't as stupid as Intel thought, and rejected it as another high-end platform, but embraced it as a low-end, mid-range.I don't think it's bad for Intel to introduce a new socket if they throw in SATA 6Gbs, and USB 3.0 onto the chipset. I heard a rumor, hopefully not true, that the chipset still won't support USB 3.0. Especially with the brain-damaged LGA 1155 platform, you really want that on the chipset and not stealing PCIe lanes you already don't have enough of.[/citation]
Well, isn't that even worse?
Instead of an incremental CPU upgrade for low-to-mid users...
...hitting people for a mobo at the same time is just rude

Zenthar

Distinguished
[citation][nom]ta152h[/nom]Well, for one, this isn't their high-end platform.[/citation]They will change the High-end one as well to LGA2011, rumor has they would support PCI-e 3.0 and have 40 lanes. They would probably support SATA 6Gbps, but not USB 3.0.

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
[citation][nom]irh_1974[/nom]Well, isn't that even worse?Instead of an incremental CPU upgrade for low-to-mid users......hitting people for a mobo at the same time is just rude[/citation]

I can understand what you're saying, but, at the same time, Intel isn't forcing people to buy Sandy Bridge, and because this is only a mid-range upgrade, it probably doesn't make that much sense anyway.

But, more to the point, you have a lot of complaints about a new socket, but, honestly, none of us have any idea if it's worth it or not. We don't know what compromises Intel would have lived with, if they kept the old one, so we don't know the reasons why they did it. I remember with the Tualatins, you needed a different chipset/motherboard. It made everyone pretty upset, of course. But, they lowered the voltage of GTL+ from 1.5v to 1.25v if I remember correctly, meaning it lowered power use. For the 1% of people that wanted to upgrade their CPU, this wasn't worth it. For the 99% of people who never cared about this, they saved money every day (albeit, not a lot, but when multiplied by the number of people using the CPUs, it's a lot).

So, until we know the benefits, it's not fair to say Intel made a horrible mistake by not allowing the CPUs to work with old motherboards. In any situation, when you are only aware of the cons, and not the pros, it's naturally going to seem bad.

tommysch

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
[citation][nom]pbrigido[/nom]I might be missing something, but what distinguishes the 2600K and the 2500K from just the 2600 and 2500?[/citation]

K = unlocked multiplier.

I may upgrade this Spring. My primary is still on LGA775, so a socket upgrade is a foregone conclusion for me anyway.
So, this is maybe one of a dozen pieces of necessary information. Prices? Interfaces? What about Bulldozer; same needed there, and of course benchmarks for both. Current CPUs are fast enough for me, so factors other than pure speed are important. I like the low wattages up there, but want to see what AMD will be offering too.

utengineer

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2010
WOW, the ignorance of some of the comments are overwhelming. I don't think one person on this thread knows our understands what this articles entails.

Status
Not open for further replies.