Intel's Sandy Bridge Info, SSD Roadmap Leaked

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
[citation][nom]mrecio[/nom]I think you should buy a MAC, since you love to over pay for crap, I bet you like to buy those 80 Dollar HDMI cables as well cause the quality is so much better ya know. /sarcasmpeople like you make me throw up a little each time you speak. Where did you make up this tick tock BS anyways? Intel has made what 4 different socket times in less then that many years? 775 lasted Pentium 4 through core 2 quad, but since 2008 intel has announced 4 new socket types are you kidding? It went from one socket type for desktops for 4 years to 4 sockets in 2 years.[/citation]
Intel made up the Tick-Tock several years ago: CPU/chipset/CPU/chipset. Didn't you notice (P4)775/X38/(C2 and C2Q)775/X48/1366/X58/??/X68?

reprotected

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
I knew they were gunna bring it to the 2K series. Nothing special. Unforgettable. I hope that those LGA 1155's fit in an LGA 1156 socket. Unfortunately, there's gunna be a 2K socket as well.

segio526

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
[citation][nom]Zenthar[/nom]They will change the High-end one as well to LGA2011, rumor has they would support PCI-e 3.0 and have 40 lanes. They would probably support SATA 6Gbps, but not USB 3.0.[/citation]
Intel has previously stated that they will NOT support USB 3.0 until at least 2012 (and that's if they can get "Light Peak" out the door). A real shame how much Intel has lost touch with their knowledgeable customer base. All they seem to care about now are the blind purchases through Dell/HP/etc. Rumor has it that even Apple is looking at AMD chips for their lower end systems.

mikem_90

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
[citation][nom]Zenthar[/nom]They will change the High-end one as well to LGA2011, rumor has they would support PCI-e 3.0 and have 40 lanes. They would probably support SATA 6Gbps, but not USB 3.0.[/citation]

Part of me wonders if that was part of the reason for the socket change. a drastic change to the data paths to accommodate these new technologies (and some future plans for Lightpeak maybe?). LGA1156 If I recall has PCI Express 2.0 on the chip, moving to 3.0 might require some changes to the socket.

It sucks, but with new technologies coming out, it might be best to integrate them in properly instead of tacking them on the side of our existing platforms. Who knows?

irh_1974

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
[citation][nom]utengineer[/nom]WOW, the ignorance of some of the comments are overwhelming. I don't think one person on this thread knows our understands what this articles entails.[/citation]
You can't just make a comment like that and not explain yourself.
Either the comment was a preamble to you educating us all...
..or you just get off on insulting people
So what is it gonna be?

G

There's one processor having higher specs than others, but only consuming 45Watts.
An error?

sublifer

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008
Maybe they should have made them Core j: Core j3 250, Corej5 550, Core j7 930

Unless they have a hard-on for Apple naming conventions...

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
[citation][nom]ProDigit80[/nom]There's one processor having higher specs than others, but only consuming 45Watts.An error?[/citation]

I think you're referring to the 2500T, which is probably a mobile part based on the "T" at the end. You'd expect power use to be lower for that.

Zenthar

Distinguished
[citation][nom]bison88[/nom]Seriously, no hexacore processor and a new socket? For fucks sake Intel, you're driving us mad. If this leak is authentic then I am unimpressed.[/citation]Hexa and octa core will be on the higher-end LGA2011; I think it will also feature quad-channel memory.

asus x48

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
I will stick with my lga775 e8600 stock! asus x48 mobo drr3 1333 8cl 8 gb's two wd's vr's150's in ide two xtx4850's in crossfire stock! big typhoon coolmaster nvidia 690 case. And just upgrade to an ssd and a q9650. you ask why? because intel whants be to buy a new cpu,mobo,memory,cooler,case, every two year's (? is are you made of money?)

G

Calm down. The socket's different so people won't try plugging in a processor that's incompatible to the new voltage control system of the new chipset and FRY the chip (people talk as if this socket change is random with no technical reasons)

Zenthar

Distinguished
Talking about voltage, I don't know if this applies to both LGA1155 and LGA2011 or just the later, but with the quad-channel memory comes another change: the default memory voltage will go from 1.1V to 0.85V. No idea if this will also impact the max voltage as well; if so it might render some existing DDR3 modules incompatible.

acadia11

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2010
Ok, I'm confused, if Sandy Bridge has on die graphics core, what's the point of an external graphics processor other than SLI/Crossfire modes? Why would anyone care other than in the mobile space to have on-die graphics?

aaron686

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2010
I really hope a mobo manufacturer can overcome the OC'ing limit Intel has put on sandy bridge. Otherwise they will bet bulldozed...

thejerk

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
i think everyone's missing the reality that most of intel's business is through oems building new systems. switching sockets every two years doesn't hurt new pc sales. amd's focus of late has been with the enthusiast market (us), and have made a point to embrace backwards compatibility.

thejerk

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
[citation][nom]aaron686[/nom]I really hope a mobo manufacturer can overcome the OC'ing limit Intel has put on sandy bridge. Otherwise they will bet bulldozed...[/citation]

this sandy bridge rumour also makes sense if you're intel, planning on trying to sell (premium-priced) ''K'' unlocked processors to your enthusiast market...

iLLz

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2003
I thought I read somewhere that Intel was replacing LGA1156 with LGA1155 and LGA1366 with LGA2011 sockets. The change to LGA1155 will happen sooner and the change for the high-end LGA2011 will happen in late 2011 (year). Time will tell tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.