News Intel's Skylake Visionary Returns to Lead Client Chip Development

VforV

Respectable
BANNED
Oct 9, 2019
Ok, ok... more good news from Intel, but I actually expect them to be competitive in 2023.

Alder Lake will not beat Zen3+ (3D) and Zen4 in late 2022 will still win, but after that maybe in 2023 Intel can come back to lead? Maybe...
The best scenario would be AMD and Intel both trading places in lead, alternatively.

Anyway, thanks AMD for these past year and for waking up Intel! (hopefully)

gargoylenest

Commendable
Jan 13, 2020
cant wait to see what are the direction line from intel: invest lot of money long term to innovate, while loosing money short term but insuring return long term; or ,like so many business, make minimal investment and R&D, sell to people old shiny tech with minor innovation by making them believe its much better than it actually is...Intel has been doing the former for many years. Most investors usually feel safer doing this; to change things like AMD did, they would need a new CEO who have the balls to dont care that much about investors.

thGe17

Reputable
Sep 2, 2019
There will not be a Zen3+ on the desktop. The two V-Cache-Chips in 1HY22 will be based on regular Zen3.
As known so far, AMD has canceled Zen3+ on the desktop. Rembrand will use Zen3+ for the APUs in 2022.

And for the rest, its all speculation and workload-specific. The top ALD CPU may still beat the 12-Core-V-Cache-Zen and the rest simply depends on the price (the same principles, which allowd AMD to survive in the last decade ;-)).
Zen4 again is a different story, because it has to compete with Raptor Lake and here again it remains to be seen what is relevant at the end for common workloads. Fans often tend to ignore that for consumers/gamers AMD has only managed to get "the performance crown" with Zen3, which is only a few month ago. Up to Zen2 Intel had no problem, even with their older Skylake-based architecture in 14nm, to compete against AMD and that is most likely the point at which fans eagerly throw the unbeatable 16-core-Ryzen on the table, but its relevance is small for the majority of the consumer market.
Just wait an see. We now have e healthy competition, Intel should be in the final steps of solving its manufacturing problem and we can expect even more powerful CPUs in the near future ... albeit this may not be of big importance for the over all market. ;-)

"The best scenario would be AMD and Intel both trading places in lead, alternatively."
The best for whom? For consumers, for AMD, for you? Who decides what is best? And why should the firm with the more limited resources take over? Such whishes make no sense.
And you seem to forget: The more AMD manages to establish itself, the more expensive their products will get. The only reason why e.g. Ryzen's have been "so cheap" in the past ist due to competion and gaining market share (as the underdog) and not because AMD is soo nice and friendly to its customers, almost altruistic. ;-) AMD wants exactly the same as Intel or Nvidia, there's no difference regarding to this point ... ok, to be exact, the difference is in the head of some customers, but this is more of a psychological topic and has almost nothing to do with technical details or market mechanics.

Last edited:

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
With the new CEO, it seems like Intel is finally waking up at 100% after getting hit left right and center by their competitors. It also seems like Pat is throwing a lot of money to hire back ex employees whether from competitors or in retirement in addition to the push for TSMC 3nm which certainly will not be cheap. Let's see what they can come up with in the next 3 to 5 years.

Howardohyea

Commendable
May 13, 2021
using TSMC is a great call from Intel in my opinion. Sure the price will be extremely high but it will allow Intel to achieve competitive performance against AMD until their own fabs are up and running.

From what I can see they rather loose profit than market share.

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
using TSMC is a great call from Intel in my opinion. Sure the price will be extremely high but it will allow Intel to achieve competitive performance against AMD until their own fabs are up and running.

From what I can see they rather loose profit than market share.
I doubt Intel would like to lose profit, market share and their face. But whether this direction makes sense, I think only time will tell. The problem is, while you can hire back the finest ex-employees or external hires, it does not always translate to a great product every time.

My take on TSMC's 3nm is that they will probably reserve it for high margin products, so don't expect to see it on your everyday system. The problem is the cost is prohibitively high and usually only Apple have the deep pockets to tap on the most cutting edge node year after year. And they are selling these SOCs based on cutting edge nodes to retail, but of course they also charge a very steep premium for them. In addition, Intel probably have to compete with Apple to get some allocation for the node, and being a lesser priority customer (since they are also a competing fab), they likely have to pay the full fat price, as compared to Apple which is more like a strategic partner for TSMC.

Howardohyea

Commendable
May 13, 2021
I doubt Intel would like to lose profit, market share and their face. But whether this direction makes sense, I think only time will tell. The problem is, while you can hire back the finest ex-employees or external hires, it does not always translate to a great product every time.

My take on TSMC's 3nm is that they will probably reserve it for high margin products, so don't expect to see it on your everyday system. The problem is the cost is prohibitively high and usually only Apple have the deep pockets to tap on the most cutting edge node year after year. And they are selling these SOCs based on cutting edge nodes to retail, but of course they also charge a very steep premium for them. In addition, Intel probably have to compete with Apple to get some allocation for the node, and being a lesser priority customer (since they are also a competing fab), they likely have to pay the full fat price, as compared to Apple which is more like a strategic partner for TSMC.
have to agree with you right there, only time will tell what will happen to Intel's latest products.