News Intel's Upcoming i9-10900K Overclocked to 5.4 GHz on All 10 Cores

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
"5.4ghz Wow!"
Cinebench R15...:rolleyes:
That's just free marketing for Intel.

Where's Prime95? Aida64? Cinebench R20? Asus Realbench(though no one seems to use it anymore)? Blender?

Tch, 5.4ghz MEH.

Ohh, do I look forward to the reviews of this, and the other Skylake Refresh Infinity cpus...

salgado18

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
In one TV series, the good guys were trying to find the villain, so they started scanning the power grid looking for annomalies. After seeing a suspiciously large spike in energy use, they went to investigate, only to find this guy overclocking an i9-10900k.

In other news, the weather could change in the next hours, because a mass of hot air originated somewhere on the states.

mac_angel

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2008
Hmmmm. Tempted to see what my CPU can do. I have a Core i9 10940X running at 5.0GHz on all cores. I didn't try pushing past that. I'm kinda wondering what it can do now.

In one TV series, the good guys were trying to find the villain, so they started scanning the power grid looking for annomalies. After seeing a suspiciously large spike in energy use, they went to investigate, only to find this guy overclocking an i9-10900k.

In other news, the weather could change in the next hours, because a mass of hot air originated somewhere on the states.
"An overclocker on Twitter known as @OldSKol_ has apparently achieved a a 5.4 GHz overclock on all 10 cores of the Intel Core i9-10900K while using a voltage of 1.35V. "

1.35Vcore is more than ryzen uses for default settings running at barely over 4Ghz all core.

The words glass house and stones spring into mind.

salgado18

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
"An overclocker on Twitter known as @OldSKol_ has apparently achieved a a 5.4 GHz overclock on all 10 cores of the Intel Core i9-10900K while using a voltage of 1.35V. "

1.35Vcore is more than ryzen uses for default settings running at barely over 4Ghz all core.

1.35 Vcore is also what Bulldozer used, so does the i7-2700k, and the Core 2 Quad Q9650.

Too bad the 3950x needs 1.4V to reach 4.2 GHz, right? Those 6 extra cores really drag it down. Well, at least it can't put a wooden house on fire.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador

Volts alone mean nothing. Watts drawn to achieve this, on the other hand....

Gurg

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2013
Its real simple formula, slap a Corsair H115i AIO cooler on, fire it up and kill all AMD CPUs in gaming, MS Office and personal usage. In a few days when reviewers release their documented testing results we will hear all the head bashing and whining from the AMD fanboys. Its a pretty predictable formula.

Its real simple formula, slap a Corsair H115i AIO cooler on, fire it up and kill all AMD CPUs in gaming, MS Office and personal usage. In a few days when reviewers release their documented testing results we will hear all the head bashing and whining from the AMD fanboys. Its a pretty predictable formula.
Or I mean you could just save money for the extra few percent you get for paying for the over £100 cooler and intel tax. Personally I just buy the better product which is why I’ve switched to AMD. Intel are playing catch up, pre overclocking chips close to their max and creating a hot, power hungry mess because they can’t get 10nm right. If AMD can bump up the frequency near 5Ghz intel are screwed because clock for clock AMD have the IPC advantage now.

salgado18

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
Watts are amps multiplied by volts,so the more volts the more watts
And 50 KW 24 hours per day per month at $0.1331 average cost per KWH in US is less than $5 per month for the average American consumer.
I'm sure these two messages exist many times in these forums somewhere 5 years ago, but regarding the AMD FX-9590 and the awesome 5.0 GHz it could reach.

Intel fanboys, the current Intel CPUs are terrible from a power perspective, accept it. Want to like it no matter what, like I did with Bulldozer back then? Be my guest. But understand that the efficiency medal is with AMD now.

Just to clarify: energy may be cheap and meaningless to you, but power-hungry processors need powerful cooling just to work at stock, while power-efficient processors can resort to mid-range coolers or even boxed ones.

Reactions: Phaaze88

Gurg

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2013
Or I mean you could just save money for the extra few percent you get for paying for the over £100 cooler and intel tax. Personally I just buy the better product which is why I’ve switched to AMD. Intel are playing catch up, pre overclocking chips close to their max and creating a hot, power hungry mess because they can’t get 10nm right. If AMD can bump up the frequency near 5Ghz intel are screwed because clock for clock AMD have the IPC advantage now.

I stopped hanging heavy air coolers bending my motherboard, blocking memory slots and blowing hot air around in my case ten years ago. My PSU, CPU AIO and GPU all have fans that operate only as dictated by set temperature curves. In casual usage like internet they are quite and idle. When running at overclocked speeds they are still quiet and rarely run at anything approaching fan max. . There are no case fans.

Read the chart in the gaming reviews. For 50 top Steam games Intel outperformed AMD's best by 5.5%. Intel's top chips also beats AMD in MS Office. The top system for a 9900k cost 7.5% less than AMD's 3950x best.

https://www.legitreviews.com/best-cpu-for-gaming-top-50-steam-games-benchmarked_218261/4

I'm sure these two messages exist many times in these forums somewhere 5 years ago, but regarding the AMD FX-9590 and the awesome 5.0 GHz it could reach.

Intel fanboys, the current Intel CPUs are terrible from a power perspective, accept it. Want to like it no matter what, like I did with Bulldozer back then? Be my guest. But understand that the efficiency medal is with AMD now.

Just to clarify: energy may be cheap and meaningless to you, but power-hungry processors need powerful cooling just to work at stock, while power-efficient processors can resort to mid-range coolers or even boxed ones.
The difference being that intel is still at least on par with ryzen with the same amount of cores/threads and in a lot of things intel is even ahead...because it CAN hit 5Ghz instead of being limited to 4Ghz by the hugely advanced arch...which is limited to 1Ghz lower clocks.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I stopped hanging heavy air coolers bending my motherboard, blocking memory slots and blowing hot air around in my case ten years ago.
The first part was mythbusted some time ago. Today's motherboards are thicker, and the cooler's backplate distributes the it's weight across the entire mobo, even the chassis - since the mobo is attached to said chassis.
Check the 4th post in the following thread of someone transporting PCs, getting into a car crash... the motherboard with an NH-D14 mounted on it actually survives the crash: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/983087-can-a-heavy-cooler-break-a-motherboard/

Memory slots: There are air cooling options that get around that. They don't all do it.

3rd part: it shouldn't be as the air cooler is right next to the exhausts - plus, they provide direct cooling for mobo VRMs, which the majority of AIOs don't do.
AIOs can blow hot air into the case, especially if they're mounted as intake.

Read the chart in the gaming reviews. For 50 top Steam games Intel outperformed AMD's best by 5.5%. Intel's top chips also beats AMD in MS Office. The top system for a 9900k cost 7.5% less than AMD's 3950x best.

https://www.legitreviews.com/best-cpu-for-gaming-top-50-steam-games-benchmarked_218261/4
1)It's Steam, mate. It doesn't account for everyone, just like how Mindfactory.de doesn't account for the majority of AMD's Ryzen sales...
2)Who the heck needs a 3950X solely for gaming, when ALL of the Ryzen 3000 cpus - save for the 3600 - perform within 1% of each other? Some guy/gal on their WS was probably on break and wanted to play for a bit.
The 9900K makes a little more sense when the lower thread count of the 9700K won't cut it and the user isn't willing to jump ship to the Red Team.

3)Whoo, ~6% faster than what AMD's X chips can achieve. So, according to that, that means for AMD users, they run about 9fps less at 144hz, 10fps less at 240hz, 30fps less at 500hz...
How much more did it cost for the Intel user to achieve such a feat though?

4)Just MS Office? Surely you have more than just that to go off of for productivity apps?