[SOLVED] Inteno XG6846-R1 switch

madam0305

Reputable
Nov 27, 2016
Hi, we just moved in to a new apartment, where we have fiber internet, which goes to a switch first (Inteno XG6846-R1), then from the switch to the router with the normal cable. I supposed to have 250/250 mbps but when I do the the speed test, the results are 95/95. I have never used fiber or switch before, so I don't really know where the problem is coming from. I have also tried to direct connect the switch with the pc, but same results 95/95. The supplier has been contacted and they say 250/250 what they are giving us. Would apprecite any smart ideas what to check. Thank you, Adam.

Solution
I have the same router and you can see the port setting on the network map tab. At least I think I have merlin firmware on mine. It should confirm what that switch lights indicate

I would try a different cable between the router and the switch. I don't think there is any way to set the speed in the router and most switches always run auto.

.....added. To get 250 the ISP will have some form of traffic limiter farther into the network. It just means they could if they wanted offer gigabit service.
That is a very unusual way to deliver internet. Maybe the apartment buildings themselves are doing it.

Generally that number means some port is running at 100mbps. Check in you pc status and ensure that it is connected at gigabit. If it is you should also be able to check the router WAN connection and see if it has the port at gigabit. You might also be able to see the lan port speeds. Where exactly you see this depends on the router.

It most cases this is a defective cable you just have to figure out which cable it is.

Verify that the router itself have gigabit lan and wan ports. Most routers have them but very inexpensive ones still run 10/100.

You could also see what happens is you plug a PC into the switch.

madam0305

Reputable
Nov 27, 2016
Hi, thanks for the reply.
I did check the pc, it says 1gbps, so that's check.
the router is an asus rt ac86, so i assume it only has gigabit port.

The tricky part is that the fiber to the switch goes to the SFP port, therefore i cannot just swap the switch with the router, as the router has no SFP port.

If i read the quick guide of the switch, yellow indicator light means Connected to 100Mbps network, green means Connected to 1000Mbps network. Is there no in between? The WAN is yellow on the switch by the way.

I have the same router and you can see the port setting on the network map tab. At least I think I have merlin firmware on mine. It should confirm what that switch lights indicate

I would try a different cable between the router and the switch. I don't think there is any way to set the speed in the router and most switches always run auto.

.....added. To get 250 the ISP will have some form of traffic limiter farther into the network. It just means they could if they wanted offer gigabit service.

Last edited:
Solution

TRENDING THREADS