[SOLVED] Intense high -pitch coil whine

The Outcast

Prominent
Mar 1, 2020
Hey, I just got a new build up and running that is running smoothly, the one downside being the coil whine. A mild coil whine I could tolerate but the amount i'm getting can't be ignored. Even with sound insulation built around the case it still packs a punch. Maybe someone with a similar build has had the same problem.
gpu Rtx 2080
mobo MPG x570
processor Ryzen 5 3600x
Scythe NInja 5 cpu cooler
Corsair Vengeance Lpx 2x8 GB ram
and an EVEA 1,000 watt PSU

Edit: It really only happens when playing graphics demanding games, sometimes.

I added a video show you can hear the pitch of this situation. Any clue what's going on or do I need to add some more sound insulation?

Solution
Your PSU for the build is overkill...you'd be able to get by with a reliably built 600~650W unit. Also, ouch, that does leave you feeling like you were hit with a stun grenade. You might want to make sure it's not the UPS's battery backup warning siren(which tells that the power is low for the UPS).

Lutfij

Titan
Your PSU for the build is overkill...you'd be able to get by with a reliably built 600~650W unit. Also, ouch, that does leave you feeling like you were hit with a stun grenade. You might want to make sure it's not the UPS's battery backup warning siren(which tells that the power is low for the UPS).

Reactions: The Outcast
Solution

The Outcast

Prominent
Mar 1, 2020
Is there any way to disable this siren. I don't think there is any serious malfunctions , and I read that siren goes off for minor issues too, I could be wrong, but I've managed to play games in 4k ultra like this with muffling headphones for an hour+ now, and my computer hasn't had any issues. Any suggestions on how to go about turning off the siren and/or making sure no problems arise either? Fyi i shut off my game to be careful, until this get's resolved.

Edit: I'm pretty sure my power supply doesn't have a UPS battery in it, I don't know why a siren would be going off. I don't think any of my system has a UPS battery. Theres got to be another reason. It sounds likea possible coil whining, but it's still a bit high pitched if it is just a coil whining... I got More questions, less answers.

Last edited:
Hey, I just got a new build up and running that is running smoothly, the one downside being the coil whine. A mild coil whine I could tolerate but the amount i'm getting can't be ignored. Even with sound insulation built around the case it still packs a punch. Maybe someone with a similar build has had the same problem.
gpu Rtx 2080
mobo MPG x570
processor Ryzen 5 3600x
Scythe NInja 5 cpu cooler
Corsair Vengeance Lpx 2x8 GB ram
and an EVEA 1,000 watt PSU

Edit: It really only happens when playing graphics demanding games, sometimes.

I added a video show you can hear the pitch of this situation. Any clue what's going on or do I need to add some more sound insulation?
I get some coil whine with my Corsair HX1000 PSU although it could be coming from your GPU if it is only when playing games. I tend to have the sound on while playing so I wouldn't hear any coil whine if it happens.

The Outcast

Prominent
Mar 1, 2020
I get some coil whine with my Corsair HX1000 PSU although it could be coming from your GPU if it is only when playing games. I tend to have the sound on while playing so I wouldn't hear any coil whine if it happens.

ok good to know, I think it might be the gpu... Does it sound similar to the video I posted and does that sound like familiar coil whine you?