Interaction Between G-Sync and V-Sync

lilyammy

Reputable
Mar 14, 2017
Hello friends!

I'm not really understanding how G-Sync is interacting with V-Sync and Nvidia's adaptive sync (if at all) during gaming. For example I have a 6950X CPU, 128gb RAM, a 1080ti and I have my 1440p g-sync monitor. And obviously 144fps is always fantastic, but even the lower fps in more demanding games is silky smooth thanks to the g-sync.

But I don't understand if V-sync is still enabled/disabled. For example, my g-sync is always on. Now I start playing World of Warcraft, F1 2015, etc all of which have their own v-sync setting. If that setting is defaulted to On, is there actually two syncs going on where my monitor is doing g-sync while my GPU is doing v-sync? Or does enabling G-sync effectively override and ignore the v-sync setting? Or if G-sync is on, do I have to ensure any v-sync setting is always off?

Same questions with this adaptive sync setting I see.

I'm assuming with g-sync on i can mindlessly turn off any and every adaptive/v-sync setting i see?

If you are running with Gsync on, and Vsync, then the Vsync does not kick in unless the FPS goes out of the Gsync limits.

Here is a very in depth explanation of gsycn and vsycn.

https://www.blurbusters.com/gsync/gsync101-input-lag/

lilyammy

Reputable
Mar 14, 2017
Thank you for that link. It was very in-depth regarding interplay betwixt g-sync and v-sync on both low and high sides of the fps meter. Just the information I was looking for :)