[SOLVED] Interchangeable psu cable from the same brand but different psu model

Parzival277

Prominent
Dec 21, 2020
Soo yesterday i bought a new power supply (new psu : cooler master MWE 1250 Gold v2) for my pc for upgrading my old power supply (old psu cooler master V750 Gold v2) and i heard stories from the internet that modular psu cables are not reusable for different brand.

So is it ok to reuse my old power supply cables to my newly bought even its a different model but the same brand ?

Solution
no it is not ok to do this. only cables made for that specific model should be used.

the reason is that each connection may not include the same number of wires, type of wires or other differences. that older lower power unit may not be able to handle the power output of the new high power unit you bought. and so on and so on.

since you got this new unit why reuse old cables anyway? you should have them all that came with it and be able to use them instead of the old ones....

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
no it is not ok to do this. only cables made for that specific model should be used.

the reason is that each connection may not include the same number of wires, type of wires or other differences. that older lower power unit may not be able to handle the power output of the new high power unit you bought. and so on and so on.

since you got this new unit why reuse old cables anyway? you should have them all that came with it and be able to use them instead of the old ones....

Solution

Parzival277

Prominent
Dec 21, 2020
Really even both of them from the same brand? Well thanks man,

Welp looks like i gonna have a hard work for these cabels especially the one near the cpu that one is a pain in the head :v

Parzival277

Prominent
Dec 21, 2020

Ummm dude i tried to change the cable but i notice theres a writings in the cabel both have the same voltage (300V) same 18AWG and same 80°C

But there is some diffrence in the cable here is the list that i found

Old cable
E333717 R1 AWM 2468 VW-1 80°C 300V 18AWG C R1 AWM I A FTI Xinguang

New cabel
R1 AWM 2468 E315619 VM-1 80°C 300V 18AWG -F- LM Linoya
Maybe there's something different for these two cables? Or something else?

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Ummm dude i tried to change the cable but i notice theres a writings in the cabel both have the same voltage (300V) same 18AWG and same 80°C

But there is some diffrence in the cable here is the list that i found

Old cable
E333717 R1 AWM 2468 VW-1 80°C 300V 18AWG C R1 AWM I A FTI Xinguang

New cabel
R1 AWM 2468 E315619 VM-1 80°C 300V 18AWG -F- LM Linoya
Maybe there's something different for these two cables? Or something else?

You need to be looking for cables that * specifically* say they work with that exact model of PSU, not things written on the cables themselves.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
suck it up, you're just going to have to take it all apart and run the new cables. there is nothing but a nice firework show in your future if you try to reuse those old cables.

it's not just how many cables, their ratings or colors or whatever. it has to with how they are laid out on the psu side. different models within a single brand may not even be made by the same company, use different designs and are made to different specifications. it's just how it works with psu's.

use the new cables or start hoping only the pc is taken up in flames and not the whole house!!