Interested in liquid cooling, but not sure what route to take for my HOT HOT CPU while gaming

yoki_ikoy

Prominent
Jul 4, 2017
First of all, thank you for taking the time to read this, and even more thanks for any advice you can offer me. Forgive me if I come across like I don't really know what I'm talking about. I actually am quite confused about how to even go about this.

I admittedly cheaped out when it came to picking out a case when I first started putting my PC together. The goal was to build a decent gaming rig. I chose the CORSAIR CARBIDE SPEC-02 Mid-Tower Gaming Case, which only has a the capacity for 120mm liquid cooling radiator (I just checked their website to find that out). Oh, and please forgive me if I'm using any terminology incorrectly. I am still a bit of a newbie in several ways! So, I really just thought a case is a case, so I went cheap! I put together quite a decent system, which includes an Intel i7 8700k CPU -- and that thing runs HOT when I'm playing various game titles. I also knew better than to go with the stock cooler, however I cheaped out again and went with 'upHere CPU Cooler with 4 Direct Contact Heatpipes', which I would assume would work perfectly fine if this wasn't a gaming computer. I've been feeling the heat sync while playing Kingdom Come: Deliverance for instance, and that thing gets HOT HOT HOT, so I'm thinking it just may not be enough for my CPU's cooling needs.

I've been looking into several reputable sites that have each given their own lists of the best water cooling systems specifically for gaming, and I did find some highly rated ones here on tomshardware.com (I'll get to that shortly); however, based on what I've seen on several other sites it seems as if I should buy a large case that will accommodate a larger water cooling system. One of the more common sizes I see is 240mm, as the EVGA CLC 240 has. PC Gamer really thinks highly of it, and I don't think they have any 120mm ones listed. Is that because if I'm looking for maximum heat dispersal/removal I should go with a cooler with a larger radiator? Right here at tomshardware.com there are listed some 120mm coolers that got high marks, but realistically should I just go for a larger case and get the bigger cooler? If it offers much more cooling capability I may as well bite the bullet and consider the case I have a loss/money wasted. It'll be worth it. But if not...

I also have one more question, just out of pure curiosity. One of the coolers on Tom's list is the EVGA CLC 280, which is a 140mm... so the question is since there's such a small size difference between the 120 and 140, IF I decided to just stay with my current case, would I be able to get away with using the 140? What is an easy way for a dummy like me to pick a case and a cooler that will be good for each other? I've been reading articles about it, but it's still kinda confusing. I don't even know if I was looking at the right thing when I read the 120mm thing for my case.

Again, thank you very much for taking the time to read this, and for any advice you can offer! I appreciate it a ton!

Solution
I have the same Cpu, not a gamer but I went through all the stress tests. I was able to get a case, between mid size and tower which works nicely for me. Two 129 mm fans in front pushing in, I made a hole in the top, hard to find the tool to do that, it sits over the heat sink and a fan blows out the exhaust air. The GPU is a hybrid, has it's won water loop Evga 107 TI. The Heatsink for the CPU is an Artic Freezer 33 CO, the box says 4 heat pipes but that is each side so there are 8. Works well and keeps the CPU at reasonable temps when overclocking while doing stress tests.
I somehow got interested in the Peltier cooler and I thought it worked very well. I've begun making a water cooled loop using cooled water with a Peltier...
Jul 1, 2018
I have the same Cpu, not a gamer but I went through all the stress tests. I was able to get a case, between mid size and tower which works nicely for me. Two 129 mm fans in front pushing in, I made a hole in the top, hard to find the tool to do that, it sits over the heat sink and a fan blows out the exhaust air. The GPU is a hybrid, has it's won water loop Evga 107 TI. The Heatsink for the CPU is an Artic Freezer 33 CO, the box says 4 heat pipes but that is each side so there are 8. Works well and keeps the CPU at reasonable temps when overclocking while doing stress tests.
I somehow got interested in the Peltier cooler and I thought it worked very well. I've begun making a water cooled loop using cooled water with a Peltier. The temp is monitored and will be kept between 35 to 40 F.
The two liquid cooler seem pretty much the same but if you have heat problems it might be better to get the larger one. Fans make a difference the more air you blow across the fins the more cooling you get and the make fans that are made to blow more air if you look for them.
You did not mention temps at idle, temp of the room also no mention of a GPU or your using the CPUs video, length of time your playing and what temp is hot hot.

Solution