Question Interested to see how much cheaper the "old" AM4 chips get

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
I have been watching the sale prices for the 1xxx and 2xxx chips get better and better with the looming release of Zen 2.
R3 1200 new sub $60, R5 1600 sub $80, pick up a R7 1700 for sub $150. I noted that one of the retailers has the 2700x on sale in the $270's AND coming with an m.2 SSD.
I have been following along. I am piecing together a new storage build and or may just upgrade my current desk/work rig and swap some parts down. Even with release on the horizon it will be a bit before we see widespread availability or any kind of cost breaks on 3xxx.

How much lower you think they are going to go?

rigg42

Respectable
Oct 17, 2018
1700x and 1600 have been at or below $150 and $100 respectively since last November at Micro Center. They have fiddled back and forth with motherboard bundle eligibility though. I've bought something like 10 ryzen cpu's with motherboards from them in that time period. Pairing a 1600 with an open box motherboard can yield ridiculous value.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
1700x and 1600 have been at or below $150 and $100 respectively since last November at Micro Center. They have fiddled back and forth with motherboard bundle eligibility though. I've bought something like 10 ryzen cpu's with motherboards from them in that time period. Pairing a 1600 with an open box motherboard can yield ridiculous value.

Agreed. My local store is doing the $30 discount on mobo deal and it's an insane value for builds, in general. I love having one nearby, not only for the prices on AMD, but Intel as well. I just completed a jam up i5 8400 build there for less than $500. I could technically have gotten the RAM for a better price but when considering the wait factor it just wasn't worthwhile.

rigg42

Respectable
Oct 17, 2018
Agreed. My local store is doing the $30 discount on mobo deal and it's an insane value for builds, in general. I love having one nearby, not only for the prices on AMD, but Intel as well. I just completed a jam up i5 8400 build there for less than $500. I could technically have gotten the RAM for a better price but when considering the wait factor it just wasn't worthwhile.
Ram prices suck there generally. I buy open box kits there though. Those are a good deal. They get in corsair PSU refurbs sometimes too. Those are an epic deal. The price on SFX600 can't be beat anywhere when they have them in stock