MeTaLrOcKeR

Distinguished
May 2, 2001
I like this one.......

"The K7 will be fast. Clock for clock, it should spank the PIII handily in both integer and floating-point operations. Intel’s P6 core just doesn’t have the functional units to be able to keep up with a fully-pipelined FPU, three fully-pipelined integer execution units, and three fully-pipelined address generation units."

heh heh

-MeTaL RoCkEr
My <font color=red> Z28 </font color=red> can take your <font color=blue> P4 </font color=blue> off the line!

Schmide

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2001
Excellent articles. I enjoyed reading them. I did not know a lot of the nuances of the P4 pipeline or the EV6 bus.

One thing that was mentioned and I had always believed to the contrary, was that CISC (x86) instructions are large. I have always believed that x86 instructions are on the average smaller than other processor instructions (RISC, VLIW, EPIC)

“The problem is that they're big, unwieldy CISC instructions and the K7, like the P6, is basically (gasp!) a RISC CPU”

“…the fact that modern x86 processors like the Athlon, PIII, and P4 need to break down large, complex x86 instructions into smaller, more easily scheduled operations.”

So I looked back at the articles and found a link to this <A HREF="http://www.arstechnica.com/cpu/4q99/risc-cisc/rvc-1.html" target="_new">rvc-1.html</A>.
In which the author Hannibal gives a great evolutionary debate on the aforementioned topic. In the end, I still believe that x86 instructions are smaller than their PPC, MIPS, PA-RISC counterparts and in no way am I saying better. Just cosmetically speaking.

Just my thoughts and reactions
Schmide.

(Links to the other articles <A HREF="http://www.arstechnica.com/cpu/3q99/k7_theory/k7-one-4.html" target="_new">k7-one-4.html</A> and <A HREF="http://arstechnica.com/cpu/01q2/p4andg4e/p4andg4e-1.html" target="_new">p4andg4e-1.html</A> )

rcf84

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Scary thing is EPIC after a couple of years will be very and i mean very fast. HAHA PowerPC shove it. I'll go Epic w/ intel or maybe AMD too.

Nice Intel and AMD users get a Cookie.... :smile: Yummy :smile:

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
ARS rocks, I have read almost every black paper they have and most of the cpu theory and praxus. Great tech site. Heh plus it is almost like you need a phd to post on their forums, so fugger and amdmeltdown are deffinatly out.

~Matisaro~
"Friends don't let friends buy Pentiums"
~Tbird1.3@1.55~

Atolsammeek

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
What I can say they where both good. And you pick two views Not just one. Two powers Amd and Intel. You did not go Amd better or Intel like Amdmeltdown will do all the time. it was not saying one was faster then the other it was in the cpu in it self that give us more Info into AMD and INTEL and apple which is not quiet the same systems as amd or intel.

But give us TURE info. Amdmeltdown mybe you should learn from xxsk8er101xx. Get info that we can all use to learn. Dont say intel faster then amd. Get info for both. Dont be such a child dude.

Thanks xxsk8er101xx