Question Interesting question about dlss3

Let's say you have a 4080 or 4090 and you have a 120Hz 4k monitor and you are pegging it 95% of the time. (95% of frame times <= 8.3ms)

Now set frame rate limiter on to 120Hz (why bake your system when you won't see the benefit.)

Is DLSS 3 going to be compatible? I don't see how it can be unless you cut actual frames in half. (Render at 60fps and then frame double)

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I imagine it would still work, and cut down on GPU usage to some extent. Otherwise it wouldn't be a worthwhile capability and show the gains it does.

You would be sacrificing some quality though, so if you could run without DLSS, that would be preferable.

Reactions: mjbn1977
Frame limiter should be set to 3 fps below the maximum Hz of your panel, and yes DLSS 3 is compatible.

Why 3? Is this an official guideline?

Thing is you would only need dlss3 for those 5% of frames that don't nt make refresh. But you can't just turn it on and off because of the 1 frame lag. So you would have to leave it on and set a target render of 60Hz for the hardware and then frame double it. Kind of defeats the point.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
DLSS is upscaling resolution. Why does FPS matter?

And yes, I've noticed that setting frame limiter slightly below max refresh is best for VRR.

DLSS 1 and 2 do that, yes.

DLSS 3 also creates AI generated in between frames when it makes sense.

Yes, setting the frame limiter below the max VRR prevents overshoot problems from occurring. Has to do with the prediction used to deliver the correct number of frames. Since you are looking at 7 or less ms per frame at 144hz, and the GPU's frametime is, typically, between 3 and 4 on a good day, but spikes do happen. It can mess up a little and will cause a single frame worth of tearing. Hardly noticeable, but easily dealt with by setting 143 instead of 144 or 163 instead of 165, etc.