interesting/strange problem

dacian

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2008
I'm not sure which section it even fits in, I'd go with Memory.

Here goes:
My configuration is:
Gigabyte GA-P35-S3G motherboard, Q6600 processor, 8800 GT, 4 GB of Corsair DDR2, 3 SATA HDDs. All components are brand new, except for the HDDs.

I have Windows Vista x64 Business but I haven't made any updates and it usually works fine for a few days. I turn it off normally but when I start it up again, It detects the video card, processor, but when it's about to detect the ram it just freezes. This is just before the option of entering bios. It should say Memory runs at dual channel interleaved, but after showing "Memory" it just freezes in the middle of the sentence and there's nothing I can do except restart it. After a few hours, it starts up normally again, but if I try to reset it when it happens, it just keeps on freezing. I tried it with different memory modules and the same happens. I reset the bios by taking the battery out and it's the same. It doesn't even get to the enter bios phase. I also tried it with Windows XP x64 and the same thing happens.

Any ideas?

Have you updated the BIOS?

What are the settings in BIOS for your RAM?

dacian

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2008
Proximon,

I haven't updated the bios yet (do you think that should solve it?) and my settings in bios are all set to auto: 800 mhz and latency 5-5-5-18. I don't have experience with changing voltages so i just left them all alone.

rdb

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2007
I would start by resetting everything. Cpu, vidcard, memory and unplug and replug all cables. Had one that did this and it turned out to be something lose.

dacian

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2008
Have you had this exact same thing? I checked every connection and everything seems ok.. It's strage because it seems to come and go, it doesn't freeze up when I'm in Windows, only when I restart or turn off and on again. Immediately after it happens there's no working around it, but in a few hours the system is ok.

Conumdrum

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
Check the ram volts. On standard settings the ram is set to 1.8 volts or so. Look at the specs for voltage on the ram. Bet it says 2.0 or so, maybe 2.1.

Could be that... You didn;t throw the ram package away did you?

dacian

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2008
i have the package but it doesn't say anything about voltage. the memories are corsair xms2, 2 x 2 gb. (the black ones with no special radiator).

The point of updating the BIOS would be to improve memory compatibility, if such an upgrade exists... you'll have to check that yourself.

If you have the kit TWIN2X4096-6400C5 then it supposedly runs at 1.9V.

Another suspect is the PSU, delivering unstable voltages at boot up.

dacian

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2008
I have thought of that, my power source is a Premier LC-8500-BTX (500W).
Right now the RAM is working at 1.8V. Is there a way to find out if the PSU isn't strong enough, given the fact that I have 3 hdds and a dvd-rw besides all the other stuff?

By the way, thank you all for your fast input and if you have any more thoughts about it please let me know. I updated the bios although on the gigabyte site the new bios description doesn't mention anything about ram compatibility. It's working fine so far.

Another strange thing I noticed (but it probably has more to do with the way Vista handles things) is that when I open itunes and it loads the library, the hdd with my music makes a sound as if it was just starting up. T his also happens when I access another hdd for the first time in some time. It sounds like it's starting to spin faster, I don't know how to describe it another way :)

Returning to the ram: if i set it to 1.9V, isn't there a risk that it would strain the power source even more?

Thanks!

I can find no reference to your PSU in any review. I suspect it is a very poor unit, and so is very likely to have gone bad.

Do you have to wait hours if you unplug the PSU, wait a few minutes, then plug it back in? Or will it always work like that?

There is a thing that happens between the PSU and motherboard at boot. The PSU sends a signal to the motherboard that says, "OK I warmed up and am ready to provide stable power." At that point the MB does it's thing.

The more I think about it, the more I think it's your PSU.

dacian

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2008
OK. I just figured it out. This is so funny: my ipod was connected when it didn't start. I pulled it out by coincidence when the computer was frozen and it immediately continued to boot! And this solves the mystery about why it worked fine in the morning- the ipod wasn't connected anymore because i usually listen to it at night.

I cant believe it, after days of trying "everything"...

Thanks again for your help!