Interface metric changes when using vpn

May 5, 2018
Everytime when I turn NetOverNet on my internet adapter's interface metric changes to a higher value then the vpn's metric causing me to not have internet access. I tried setting manual metric to both internet and vpn but as soon as I turn NetOverNet on it just ignores the settings and sets its own metric. I'm on windows 10 if it makes any difference

That is one of the methods VPN use to force traffic via the vpn. Not sure how that one works. Most times you want all the internet traffic to go via the vpn and the only traffic to go via the interface is the vpn end point. Many put in a route for that 1 ip via the main interface and force all other traffic over the vpn.

Most these have the ability to set other ip that do not go via the tunnel.

Worst case you can put in 2 routes with 128.0.0.0 mask since it is more specific it will over ride the default route.

May 5, 2018
All that makes sense but everything works fine on my windows 7 machine, internet adapter metric is 20 and everything from that vpn is 21 without manually setting them whereas in windows 10 it forces my internet metric to 4250 and main vpn to 4251 and users on that vpn have metric of 46(which i think causes the lack of connection due to prioritising)

VPN messed my machines up so many times I do not even load client based solution I only use ones that work in my routers. That is really strange I checked 3 of my win10 machines and they either have 35 or 36 for the 0.0.0.0 route and 291 for the local subnet. Then again there is no vpn loaded at all.

May 5, 2018
Well if there is no vpn loaded on those machines those metrics should be valid.
Could it be because I was in a different house(different router) when I was trying to establish a vpn on windows 10 device?

It likely is because the vpn is changing things. It should not matter what house you are in. I don't know if the metric changes based on if the connection is say 100mbps vs 1000mbps and if it would be different in different houses because of that. I know last time I tried to use that as a method find the port speed it did not change

May 5, 2018
Just found that vpn network interface actually uses same netmask as internet adaptar(0.0.0.0).
Any ideas how to fix that, on my other machine it works fine and only internet uses 0.0.0.0 netmask

That is not unexpected since it is using the metric to manipulate which default route is used. I am going to suspect you know that you can use the route command to delete route or change metrics. That likely only fixes it until you restart the vpn. How you actually fix it I don't know since it is the vpn client causing the problem. Does the vpn service have a support forum someone there would know the details of that vpn provider.

May 5, 2018
Yes but that isn't exactly a solution. My only guess is that it is a windows 10 and there is no other way to prioritise adapters in it besides metrics.
NetOverNet has a support and I'm currently waiting for them to respond to this netmask problem.

TRENDING THREADS