PearsonVES

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2014
Hi, I hope it's ok that I'm posting this here, I could really use the help

I am getting high pitched interference noises through my Microphone input (others can hear this, and I can hear it in voice recordings)

I thought it was the headset (PC360) so I bought a brand new PC38X but it's still happening with both headsets

It makes high pitched whining interference noise if I plug them in via the rear motherboard Green & Pink 3.5mm. And makes the same noise in the front case 3.5mm ports. Motherboard is: MSI Z390-A Pro

I've tried using a Sabrent USB adapter (below): But that instead changes the noise into a constant buzzing sound
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sabrent-External-Adapter-Windows-AU-MMSA/dp/B00IRVQ0F8

The headphone audio is fine, it's just the microphone.

I tried removing my Graphics Card as that was my newest additional to the PC (still happens)

Edit: The PC38X has an optional TRRS jack, so I've voice recorded on my phone and it's crystal clear and clean. So definitely PC related
Things I've tested tonight:
Voice recording with the PC38X on my phone - works perfectly, proves the headsets are not at fault
Rolled back to older realtek driver
Disabled XMP in bios
Unplugged all system fans and CPU fan
Unplugged all other peripherals
Removed Graphics Card entirely
Tried a different power surge protector
Tried plugging in the computer on the opposite end of the house
Tested with another known-good Power Supply Unit (650w) and a different power cable

So that leads me to believe that it's the motherboard that is the issue. If I buy an external DAC will that solve my problem?

Are there any tests I could do to figure out the issue, or would buying a DAC or Soundcard solve this interference issue?

Last edited:

PearsonVES

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2014
Try the headset on another known working (no whine/buzz) computer or audio device.

Try another known working headset/headphones/microphones on your computer.

Determine if the whine stays with your computer or follows the PC360 headset.

Hi,
The PC38X has an optional TRRS jack, so I've just voice recorded on my phone and it's crystal clear and clean. So definitely PC related

PearsonVES

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2014

Ralston18

Titan
Motherboard:

https://download.msi.com/archive/mnu_exe/mb/E7B98v1.2.pdf

(Verify that I found the correct manual.)

Audio port configuration information starts on physically numbered Page 20.

Look at your configuration per Pages 21 & 22 as well.

From the bottom of Page 21:

"Each jack corresponds to its default setting as shown on the next page. Important The pictures above for reference only and may vary from the product you purchased."

PearsonVES

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2014
Motherboard:

https://download.msi.com/archive/mnu_exe/mb/E7B98v1.2.pdf

(Verify that I found the correct manual.)

Audio port configuration information starts on physically numbered Page 20.

Look at your configuration per Pages 21 & 22 as well.

From the bottom of Page 21:

"Each jack corresponds to its default setting as shown on the next page. Important The pictures above for reference only and may vary from the product you purchased."
Yes I'm plugging my green (headphone) and pink (microphone) into the correct ports as per that Manual.

Things I've tested tonight:
Voice recording with the PC38X on my phone - works perfectly, proves the headsets are not at fault
Rolled back to older realtek driver
Disabled XMP in bios
Unplugged all system fans and CPU fan
Unplugged all other peripherals
Removed Graphics Card entirely
Tried a different power surge protector
Tried plugging in the computer on the opposite end of the house
Tested with another known-good Power Supply Unit (650w) and different power cable

So that leads me to believe that it's the motherboard that is the issue. If I buy an external DAC will that solve my problem?

Last edited: