intergrated Graphics AMD radeon R7

mudlark77

Prominent
Jul 9, 2017
Hi Guy's please be gentle newbie present lol.
I have read some of the questions on integrated- Dedicated graphics,
My second machine has a F2A68hm-HD2 Mobo, Processor AMD A8-7650K 10 core
500w psu.
As a project am considering changing MB and psu not sure to what as yet, and of course dedicated graphics possibly GTX 1050 ti OR RX 460 first question is psu enough for the cards mentioned not sure? or do I save myself a lot of time and install a dedicated card over the integrated one not sure if I understood some of the answers would a dedicated card override the R7 and not cause any problems conflictions etc, any wise owl in the forum guide me please?
Many thanks

Solution

No. My rig doesn't use more than 450W but I still have a 850W PSU. (7600k and GTX 1080 both OC'd). You should be good with a 500W PSU though older parts use much more power. Keeping 50W headroom is a good idea.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
Dedicated graphics will override and not cause issues. Only in some instances of Intel chips can you run both at same time and that still doesn't cause an issue. Get the 1050ti. And don't get a new board unless you are upgrading to ryzen.
Oh, and yeah, 500w is fine for either gpu

mbilal2

Reputable
Jun 15, 2017
Yes 500W is enough to power up the card. NOTE: You might have to do a BIOS update on your mobo if the GTX 1050Ti doesn't work. Latest BIOS updates have more compatibility for cards. Once you plug in the card, the integrated graphics (on your mobo) won't work any you will have to connect the display cable to your graphics card. If something goes wrong (which it shouldn't), we are always here to help ;)

GTX1050Ti 4GB is a really nice choice. Starts about $150USD or so.

Anything below that is not good value, and anything much above that is way overpriced due to cryptocurrency issue.

I also gamed on something nearly identical to a GTX1050Ti up until last year (GTX680) and it ran really great. I needed to carefully tweak settings for games like Crysis 3 but even that ran well at 60FPS. I also force Adaptive VSYNC for some games (auto turn VSYNC OFF below the target to prevent stuttering though you get screen tear).

Upgrade motherboard?
WAAAYY too expensive. If doing that you're then obviously getting a new CPU, possibly new memory (DDR4?), and would have to buy another copy of Windows (and reinstall everything).

The CPU portion of your APU is similar to an FX-4300. Not the best, but quite serviceable to get you to 60FPS (along with GTX1050Ti) at good quality for many games.

APU vs dedicated:
Your APU had a CPU and GPU as part of the same unit. If you install a dedicated graphics card you just use the CPU. That's best as the GPU isn't very good.

Additionally the GPU in the APU uses some of your system memory as its video memory. You want at least 2GB now so if you had 8GB of DDR3 memory installed you would only have 6GB for your main memory now with the 2GB reserved for video memory.

*I'd be guessing at least 3x the FPS as a rough guess. Hard to say as the system memory speed also can bottleneck the GPU (some of the APU's want 2400MHz to prevent GPU losses).

**Here's a somewhat confusing chart. Note the GTX770 would be similar to the GTX1050Ti so if you look at charts with the GTX770, then drop down to your APU listing to see how the game does:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/9217/the-amd-a8-7650k-apu-review-also-new-testing-methodology/8

For example in Shadows of Mordor it's about 45FPS on ULTRA at 1080p, so with a few dropped settings you can likely get a solid 60FPS in that fun game. (why they tested 4K though is beyond me)

Here's how I would install the GTX1050Ti:

1. Find one: https://pcpartpicker.com/products/video-card/#c=380&sort=price&page=1

2. download, run DDU (to remove AMD drivers).. choose "recommended" option:
http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

3. shut down, install video card (including power cable if the card requires one)

4. start up, then install NVidia drivers (just go to NVidia site-> drivers and find the match)

OTHER:
I would run a couple benchmarks before and after if you want to see what difference you get. For example, maybe Unigine Valley but make sure you use the EXACT same settings.

mudlark77

Prominent
Jul 9, 2017
Many thank Guy's much appreciated, I was surprised at the cost of a new mobo and you're right it could mean more than one change. Some of the comments elsewhere seem to suggest that a 500psu might be a squeeze on the GTX 1050ti in particular with Deus Ex MD and my favourites Crysis which can make the eyes water in intense action lol. any thoughts?

mbilal2

Reputable
Jun 15, 2017

No. My rig doesn't use more than 450W but I still have a 850W PSU. (7600k and GTX 1080 both OC'd). You should be good with a 500W PSU though older parts use much more power. Keeping 50W headroom is a good idea.

Solution

mbilal2

Reputable
Jun 15, 2017

Lol yeah I got it for a good deal. Paid 70$ for an EVGA 850W 80+ Gold lol. I prefer survival and fps but I play pretty much everything if it looks good or has a good story line :p

POWER CONSUMPTION (just to be clear): probably about 200W maximum for the system + GTX1050Ti

*So under 50% load of a 500W PSU. That should also limit the FAN NOISE since many start ramping the fans up at 50% load.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/amd-a8-7650k-apu-and-a68h-chipset-review,7.html

"When we place load on the CPU and we see the power draw rise the system now consumes roughly 100 Watts. This is with merely an SSD and 16 GB memory installed. Your average PC will draw a little more power if you add optical drives, HDDs, soundcards etc."

The GTX1050Ti at highest is probably 80W or so. I could look it up but it doesn't matter since we aren't even close.

So 100W + 80W + 20W (HDD's, fans etc) = 200W approximate

mudlark77

Prominent
Jul 9, 2017

Ok thanks that explains my last PC sounding like a jumbo on take off full power:??:

Cheers

There wouldn't be that much power drawn on bootup. What you probably were hearing was some combination of CPU, PSU, and CASE fans hitting maximum RPM before fan control kicked in.

That's one reason I replaced some case fans that had a high RPM with ones that had a lower RPM (I didn't need more than 700RPM anyway, so jumping to 2500RPM with four fans was just ridiculous on bootup).

With modern motherboards you can usually modify the BIOS FAN CONTROL to a certain extent and do even more fine-grained control with Windows software so it would first start with the BIOS fan speeds then once Windows starts (and launches the motherboard fan software) you replace the BIOS control with the Windows fan application.