Interim GPU upgrade or waiting it out... what's wise...

Fluke031

Honorable
Sep 28, 2012
10
0
10,510
0
Hey guys,

I'd like to squeeze some extra life out of my current rig. Next step would have to be a complete overhaul but for my use a more recent GPU will probably do for now.

Current system (I guess we used to call this a lower mainstream system back then :) ):

PSU: Corsair RM650x
MoBo: MSI Z77A-G43
CPU: i5 3570K (stock)
RAM: 8Gb dual channel DDR 3
GPU: Radeon HD 7850 2Gb OC
IIyama Freesync monitor

Usage: Arma 3 and Falcon BMS. Especially in Arma, the GPU just doesn't cut it anymore (it did more or less when A3 first came out). And even though Falcon BMS is more CPU hungry, I do need to dial down the graphics a bit too much for my taste.

A new Sapphire RX580 Nitro + 8 Gb will cost me around €250
Used they go for 175-200 (too expensive compared to a new one if you ask me)
The 4Gb version (probably enough for me) is new €200 and used €150.

With these pricepoints (and my current rig) in mind... is it worth it? Or should I wait out until AMD finally comes with Navi and the GPU market is shaken up a bit?

 

hang-the-9

Titan
Moderator
Unless you are planning on running past 1080 144hz, an RX 580 4gb should be fine. They are this much in your area? US prices for several 8 GB RX 580 cards is in the $200 or even less range.

If you plan on going to a 1440 or 4k setup on a 27" screen, then you would want to wait or get a 1070 or 2060 card.
 

Fluke031

Honorable
Sep 28, 2012
10
0
10,510
0
Thanks for your reply!

ouch... forgot the resolution I'm using :).

1x HD indeed, and 1x 1366x768 (2nd screen strictly for instrument displays when doing flightsims... connected but switched off when doing FPS).

And yes... sadly enough GPU's are relatively expensive here. Eventually I will move up to 1440, but that's when I will go for a new system ;).
 

hang-the-9

Titan
Moderator
Well you have to decide, spend the money now on the card that will run at 1080 great but may not be so great at 1440 in future or current games on higher refresh rates, or wait to upgrade all at once later. If it was my system, I would get an RX 580 to run current stuff at 1080 on higher settings then can run on 1440 at lower settings once the monitor is upgrade, or sell the RX 580 in a year or two and go to next gen.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

Latest posts