Question Intermitent BSOD

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Iron_Lion

Reputable
Dec 7, 2015
I keep getting random BSOD's that dont seem to be realted to anything.
It fist started after i upgraded my motherboard, memory and cpu. I didnt do a clean install of windows so i thought it was that. Done a clean install and that stopped it.

Then i upgraded my HDD to a SSD and my GPU . I also moved my last HDD to a usb enclosure. This caused random black screens and my SSD to not show up in the bios, i now uses the HDD in a NAS and i havent had any problems in days. Played red dead 2 all day for two of them, pc was on for 48 hrs at one point coping files an no issues. Today i turn it on, watch a video from the NAS and i get a WHEA uncorrectable error, it restarts and does it again 20 min later just looking at the web. Hasnt happend for 2 hrs on the 2nd restart.

I have no idea whats wrong here and its driving me nuts please help! lol

Heats doesnt seem to be a issue its a custom loop and evryting is in the low 30s to high 20s at idle. Whent he BSOD happend it was all but idle so the temps where the same.

I9-9900K
Maximus XI Formula
Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4 3200 MHz C16
Adata SX8200 Pro M.2-2280 2TB PCI Express 3.0 x4 NVMe Solid State Drive
Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080 Ti XTREME WATERFORCE WB 11GB
Creative Sound Blaster ZxR

Colif

Win 11 Master
I am normally here somewhere but I am half way through a course right now and half the week is spent doing that so I can't be here to answer everything (as much as I normally would). I asked others to look in here and so far PC has jumped in as well. We should have an answer to this before my course ends in 2 weeks :)

memtest used to be 8 tests as the free version had no limits. Its only in the last year that it stops you at 4. Running it twice is not hard to do manually.

Iron_Lion

Reputable
Dec 7, 2015
I just greatful for the help, yake your time.

Yeah but do i have to run the second 4pass's right after the first 4 or is it a case of a long as i do 8 in total in doesnt matter how much time passes between the first and last 4?

gardenman

Splendid
The free version of memtest use to allow 8 passes. They changed it and it now only allows 4 passes. That's one reason you'll see many people recommend 8 passes in older posts (including myself). The real question is, is 4 passes enough to really test the RAM? My guess is that it is probably sufficient. If you feel like spending more time on it, run it twice for a total of 8 (wait time in between shouldn't matter).

Reactions: PC Tailor

Colif

Win 11 Master
Ok i found the full dump file bit its 30+gb, one drive only gives me 5gb so i how do i get it to you all?
this is why i normally ask for minidumps. I know PC asked for big although I am not sure what site would allow upload of 30gb without paying something. I have 1tb of storage with Onedrive as I have an Office 365 subscription

Is that its size in a zip file?
Google Drive allows uploads of 15gb before you run out,m can buy more space (I have 100gb with them)
you could try number 2 here only as they have a free 7 day trial with 100gb max - https://www.techradar.com/best/best-ways-to-share-big-files

I wonder if @axe0axe0 might have a look

Colif

Win 11 Master
Do you own the games as the isdone.dll error often occurs with pirated games. I can't help you with those. I assume win 10 is not cracked?

I hope PC tailor is going to get a use out of your dump file as 30gb is too large for Gardenman to even attempt at his speed... try about 3 days.

Iron_Lion

Reputable
Dec 7, 2015
They are old games given to me by a freind years ago, they worked before i rebuilt my PC, now they dont, tried 3 of them and got the same error on all of them. When i searched online a lot of ppl seem to think its because of bad RAM.

Windows is legit. I had to rebuy it when i built the PC

I hope to have the dump file up by the weekend.

Cheked my SSD with the tool you sujested and its fine.

Iron_Lion

Reputable
Dec 7, 2015
Ignore the isdone.dll thing, i figured it out, doesnt like being decompressed from my nas. So still no closer to figuring out whats causing the BSOD, it hasnt happend in a few days so its due any min now. This is frustrating and getting me down.....

Colif

Win 11 Master
Now I will likely jinx us just by saying this (it always happens) but maybe the errors just stopped themselves? I don't like chances.

I know how it is waiting for an error, 5 months last year I had a problem we couldn't figure out and it would only happen when it wanted to, I didn't know what caused it and only in hindsight do I know what cause was, but not why. That doesn't help here but explains that I know how you feel.

Iron_Lion

Reputable
Dec 7, 2015
I would sell organs for that to be the case, not my own but still.....

Im 30, i started training to build PCs when i was 14, im pretty pissed that in all that time we still havent got a way to find out what part is faulty etc.

Colif

Win 11 Master
i need to collect thoughts. Just read through what we done already as it gets hard after 3 pages.

Have you checked the HDD that is now in NAS that was causing the black screens? not just chkdsk, if its one of the below hdd makers, run their test -
Samsung - https://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/product/consumer/magician/

WD - https://support.wdc.com/downloads.aspx?p=3&lang=en

Seagate - https://www.seagate.com/au/en/support/downloads/seatools/seatools-win-master/

I know I have given you those already. Testing hardware is likely only way, it would be incredibly unlucky to get same drivers on 3 different installs (though not unheard of)

did we ever go back to basics and just run PC with bare minimum parts to see if we can reduce number of possible problems? or will the custom loop cooling just make that a pain.

As you could run without GPU, Soundcard and NAS and see if you get the bsod. If you do, you know its none of the items you have removed.

Iron_Lion

Reputable
Dec 7, 2015
OK The NAS isnt directly conected to the pc, only over network. But i havent tested it.

The custom loop makes that a giant nightmare, the GPU,CPU and motherboard all have water blocks.

Strange thing is its still hasnt BSOD since the last time, alhtough today windows spazed out and i could move the mouse but there was no desktop backround or windows explorer, task bar etc Couldnt even get task manger to run rexploer. Had to hard reset. But it didnt frezze or BSOD.

Iron_Lion

Reputable
Dec 7, 2015
Ok so i got another BSOD, WHEA again. Im uploading the dump file right with that 7 day free trial thing now and ill post the link when its done, ill run the adata ssd test as soon as its done uploading. If we still have no idea after all that ill change the sound card in a week or so. After that i dont know what to do............

Colif

Win 11 Master
can you give me the minidump for the last error?

I am not certain when PC Tailor will be back to read your massive dump, Gardenman took one look at file size and said pass. If neither of them can do it I might have to work out how to convert them myself. the file size is less an issue for me.

Iron_Lion

Reputable
Dec 7, 2015
i understand its big, i wouldnt have even put it up if i wasnt asked to, its more hassle than i expect ppl to put up with.

Latest mini dump is in the one drive the others are in. Last 2 days instead BSOD once a day max some times not for days its done 3-4 times a day. I am doing nothign different either.

Colif

Win 11 Master
its going to be quiet around here this week, and elsewhere I suspect. If it was a normal month I would suggest you try making a post on here after reading the sticky post. One of the people who helps there also helps here, I tried to get his attention a week or so ago here but he may not have seen it.

I am not giving up but new outside eyes might see what I have missed, or at very least can read the dumps and see what they show.

You could refer to this post in new one, so they don't get you to repeat things I have already asked of you.

I have sent a message to PC Tailor as he might have missed your reply, he tends to answer a lot of questions and its easy to miss notifications. Id he hasn't replied in a few days I have said to gardenman that I will get him to show me how to convert the dumps myself... sort of makes sense I know that :)