Question Intermitent BSOD

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Iron_Lion

Reputable
Dec 7, 2015
I keep getting random BSOD's that dont seem to be realted to anything.
It fist started after i upgraded my motherboard, memory and cpu. I didnt do a clean install of windows so i thought it was that. Done a clean install and that stopped it.

Then i upgraded my HDD to a SSD and my GPU . I also moved my last HDD to a usb enclosure. This caused random black screens and my SSD to not show up in the bios, i now uses the HDD in a NAS and i havent had any problems in days. Played red dead 2 all day for two of them, pc was on for 48 hrs at one point coping files an no issues. Today i turn it on, watch a video from the NAS and i get a WHEA uncorrectable error, it restarts and does it again 20 min later just looking at the web. Hasnt happend for 2 hrs on the 2nd restart.

I have no idea whats wrong here and its driving me nuts please help! lol

Heats doesnt seem to be a issue its a custom loop and evryting is in the low 30s to high 20s at idle. Whent he BSOD happend it was all but idle so the temps where the same.

I9-9900K
Maximus XI Formula
Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4 3200 MHz C16
Adata SX8200 Pro M.2-2280 2TB PCI Express 3.0 x4 NVMe Solid State Drive
Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080 Ti XTREME WATERFORCE WB 11GB
Creative Sound Blaster ZxR

Iron_Lion

Reputable
Dec 7, 2015
Yeah im not going to be around much for a few days or so either dont worry. Like I said im not trying to rush anyone im just happy for the help. I just feel like it would be more helpful to report to you guys what happens as soon as it happend so I dont miss anything important out im not trying to rush anyone.

I really am greatful for all the help so far!

Colif

Win 11 Master
Crash from the 5thDec blaming Netwtw08.sys which was a WHEA error. Not sure how i missed that before.

Oct 16 2019Netwtw08.sysIntel(R) Wireless Networking driver

and its not even old. Although its not as new as the latest on Asus website - https://www.asus.com/au/Motherboards/ROG-MAXIMUS-XI-FORMULA/HelpDesk_Download/ - it would be unusual for a driver to fix a WHEA error but not unheard of.

I am not sure about the other 2,

Iron_Lion

Reputable
Dec 7, 2015
Ok, so i tired to update the drivers but the intaller isnt working for me. It would be super easy (cable from amazon, pc is next to to router) to just go wired, its not like its a laptop. It wheigs the better part of 45kg. So if iwent wired and disabled the wireless in the device manager would that work at all? Would also work even if its the wireless hard ware thas faulty? Because living without the wireless is no big deal pulling the motherboard is a massive pain in my ass....

Iron_Lion

Reputable
Dec 7, 2015
Ok so im now using wired and i have disabled all the netwrok devices other than bluetooth and 5g lan im using. Time to wait and see.

Thanks for evryones help so far, hopefully we got it this time......

Colif

Win 11 Master
i will wait for Garden Man to read newest dump.

wonder if its the bluetooth... since its built into motherboard it probably uses the same chip as the wifi so if the chip is the problem, bluetooth would also be off the list of things you can use. I am only speculating here.

If this was true, my suggested fix is likely one you don't want to hear - return motherboard and get a new one. As I wouldn't want to have a brand new PC with parts that don't work.

As I said, lets wait and see

gardenman

Splendid
Thank you. It makes it difficult to find them without a link, and when the files are not in order.

I ran the dump file through the debugger and got the following information: https://lactealpinkfairyarmadillo.htmlpasta.com/

File information:112919-10921-01.dmp (Nov 29 2019 - 01:38:57)
Bugcheck:CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT (101)
Probably caused by:Unknown_Image (Process: esrv.exe)
Uptime:1 Day(s), 5 Hour(s), 08 Min(s), and 03 Sec(s)

This information can be used by others to help you. I can't help you with this. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Iron_Lion

Reputable
Dec 7, 2015
I feel like im losing the fight here, my one drive is refusing to sync, its says both files are stuck at 255.0kb. No idea why.

I think you might have the wrong one, i dont thinks its ever been on for over 24hrs and i looked at esrv and it says sony vaio, my pc isnt a laptop.

Its starting to get gard to stay optamistic...

Thanks for evryones help i really aprciate it even if we dont figure out whats wrong.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I got the onedrive link from your post earlier on in thread so

I think you might have the wrong one, i dont thinks its ever been on for over 24hrs and i looked at esrv and it says sony vaio, my pc isnt a laptop.

If you have fast startup on, the uptime keeps going even if PC is off. So that could explain the time.

Its possible ESVR.exe is something other than SOny Vaio. And that isn't what caused the crash, that was just what was running at the time. I never blame the process that is running, exe files hardly ever cause BSOD themselves, but drives associated with what ever they are doing can cause BSOD.

Most BSOD will have a file called ntoskrnl.exe in the Probably caused byu field. If you were to go by that, it means WIndows itself is the cause. As ntoskrnl = Windows Kernel.

As I said, I don't look at that info when working out cause, I normally look at https://lactealpinkfairyarmadillo.htmlpasta.com/ and tbh, I am still working it out as I go along.

The new BSOD doesn't really point me in a particular direction, which is annoying as I want to fix this, not going to give up.

Garden Man suggested you might need to strip it all down and remove the water cooling set up just to run with bare minimum. As if it is motherboard, you would need to rma it and get a new one anyway, just to fix problem.

Iron_Lion

Reputable
Dec 7, 2015
The problem with striping the cooling off and runing it part by part is i have no air cooler for my procesor or gpu. I also have no spare parts that will fit this that i can try them with. My sound card is really old, you said it might be that so i guess i just get a new one and see if that helps, i do have a spare PSU that i could swap in to see if its that.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I don't like idea of wasting money without knowing if its the answer. Shame you no where close to a repair shop as I would take PC there over wildly ordering replacement parts

I might get you to look here and read their posting instructions and just see if they find an answer I can't see. You could link to this thread as it might reduce steps they ask you to do. They are experts, they probably see things I can't

Let me know how you go :)

Iron_Lion

Reputable
Dec 7, 2015
OK i will try that, i pretty ill atm that why replys are slow. But i will post on their forum asap.

I need a new sound card anyway so it wont be a waste even if it doesnt solve the problem, it seems like our best lead so far that we havent tried and if theres a chance i wont have to strip parts and randomly RMA them ill take it.

I used to work in the local IT reapair indsutry, they suck, i was one of the best, that should say it all really.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Get better. No need to answer.

I haven't had a sound card for um... 15 years? onboard was good enough for what I use it for. If its an older card there is always chance its cause. Pretty sure we tested all the hardware we can... except the soundcard - https://www.passmark.com/products/soundcheck/index.php - but that might not really stress it.

At least you know how to pull PC apart. It sucks when you get a brand new PC and its not perfect. It shouldn't be this hard.

Iron_Lion

Reputable
Dec 7, 2015
Im really into music and i hook my pc up to a sperates HIFI so i ned the sound quality and the right output type, coaxial i think its called.The one im using now is like 5 years old maybe more

Yeah i swear i did evrything right too, i have no idea why this hapening, my pc even got fetured on Alphacools socialmedia . But i just cant seem to stop these BSOD....

Last edited:

Iron_Lion

Reputable
Dec 7, 2015
Ok usually i get daily crashes, some times it goa little longer but usually daily or worse.

I tracked esrv.exe to the intel update tool. I removed it. Havent had a crash this 24hrs. Been a little over 24hrs since the last in in fact.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Ok usually i get daily crashes, some times it goa little longer but usually daily or worse.

I tracked esrv.exe to the intel update tool. I removed it. Havent had a crash this 24hrs. Been a little over 24hrs since the last in in fact.

well, you know, if i had just looked at the 3rd link down on that page a few days ago when I first looked for file name, I would have seen that too :)

if they were less intermittent I would have got you to run in safe mode as that would remove all drivers from equation but wouldn't let you do anything and wouldn't prove a lot since it can go a while without bsod anyway. It wouldn't have identified cause though.

Iron_Lion

Reputable
Dec 7, 2015
3rd link down? I just googled it lol Also i rmbrd you mentioned intel updater before when i found out it was that

But why would that cause BSOD? I pretty sure i only intsalled it because there was a problem in the first place. I supose it possible that we soved the original problem (maybe wifi) and this was a aditional one we didnt know of but whats the chnaces of that?

Colif

Win 11 Master
It is always possible to have more than 1 problem. Its always possible to create new ones trying to fix others. I used to try to fix problems before I got them, and caused more for self. Trying to fix a problem you don't have is always going to end badly. That was 20 years ago now. I learned my lesson.

I don't want to count chickens before they hatch, I have had too many BSOD where I think its fixed only for person to return again.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Apologies for not being about! I realise I failed in helping convert some of the dump files - but I have been and am still away over the holidays - then immediately back into a busy schedule! If I can be of assistance please let me know but sounds like it might be going on the rights tracks! :)

Reactions: Colif

Colif

Win 11 Master
Any excuse - we just had hottest day on record in city and 112 bushfires are around my state.. and I am here (just, I mean, 43.5C is too hot to even contemplate turning my pc on).

Only joking (Not about bushfires/temps) There are some times of the year you get to relax (between 7am and 7.15am) :)

Reactions: PC Tailor