Question Intermitent BSOD

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Iron_Lion

Reputable
Dec 7, 2015
I keep getting random BSOD's that dont seem to be realted to anything.
It fist started after i upgraded my motherboard, memory and cpu. I didnt do a clean install of windows so i thought it was that. Done a clean install and that stopped it.

Then i upgraded my HDD to a SSD and my GPU . I also moved my last HDD to a usb enclosure. This caused random black screens and my SSD to not show up in the bios, i now uses the HDD in a NAS and i havent had any problems in days. Played red dead 2 all day for two of them, pc was on for 48 hrs at one point coping files an no issues. Today i turn it on, watch a video from the NAS and i get a WHEA uncorrectable error, it restarts and does it again 20 min later just looking at the web. Hasnt happend for 2 hrs on the 2nd restart.

I have no idea whats wrong here and its driving me nuts please help! lol

Heats doesnt seem to be a issue its a custom loop and evryting is in the low 30s to high 20s at idle. Whent he BSOD happend it was all but idle so the temps where the same.

I9-9900K
Maximus XI Formula
Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4 3200 MHz C16
Adata SX8200 Pro M.2-2280 2TB PCI Express 3.0 x4 NVMe Solid State Drive
Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080 Ti XTREME WATERFORCE WB 11GB
Creative Sound Blaster ZxR

Iron_Lion

Reputable
Dec 7, 2015
I know right, im just waiting on it hapnin.....

Thanks man, you been more than helpful though, espcially seeing as your busy too. You have already done more than i expected anyone to do for free thank you so much.

Colif

Win 11 Master
That is the problem with a lot of these things, you don't know if its fixed until it just stops happening. I mean, if you can identify cause it makes it a lot easier. Yours just isn't that obvious.

I didn't get around to checking thread as my PC starting making odd noises last night, and suddenly I am distracted :)

Iron_Lion

Reputable
Dec 7, 2015
Yeah i know what you mean, still not BSOD, but today for some reason my cpu was at 100% usage, lagged everything out but acording to task manager nothing was using the CPU.....

Deal with your own possible impending crisis then get to back to mine :D

Iron_Lion

Reputable
Dec 7, 2015
Got another WHEA. First one since the 13th. Dump is in the usual place, i put the older ones in a folder called old to make it easier.

Only strange thing i have noticed is something keep disconecting and reconeting, i can hear the noise but i have no idea what is its, probably my cheap usb hub/mouse bungie, i already tried disconecting it though and its not the problem.

Iron_Lion

Reputable
Dec 7, 2015
Thanks man.

I just replaced the kettle lead with a breand new 18awg 15ft cable and i switched out my 5+ year old 8 way no name surge protector for a belkin 1 socket surge protector so the power line is dedicated to just the PC nothing else and is well within the ratings of the surge protector. Acording to the surge protector is also "conditons" the power, i asume this means it try to keep the power stable in voltage,watage frequancy etc. That might help, the guy that wired the room im in was one of my jerk off toolbag freinds from my younger days, would not be least bit suprised to find out its janky as sin. Janky enough to sffect my pc but not my other less sensative stuff like my tv and stereo also wouldnt suprise me so maybe the whole " rinse and reapeat " "power conditioning thing" will help there.

If this doesnt help and you guys dont find anything new ill swap out my 1200w corsair PSU for my slightly older 1000w Corsiar psu.

Im also starting to include the log files from argus monitor. You might see something im missing in them. I think its mainly temps, im not so sure they arent easy to read, im dyslexic so if things are mixed up little i have serious probelms reading it. I think i got it and i cant see anything that wories me but you guys clearly know more than i do.

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
can you give us a link to the last dump each time instead of just saying its in the usual place, as G man shouldn't need to search for it if he is trying to assist you.

The only link I have is this one and last in here was Jan 13 - Onedrive link

I just looked through thread and in your 1st post you said - It first started after i upgraded my motherboard, memory and cpu - And we tested CPU & Memory so I suspect it could be motherboard (which is impossible to test) or CPU still?

If PC worked fine before you swapped these parts, it should be one of them that is cause.

Its all under warranty so it is likely a case of stripping down that water cooling and RMA the motherboard (fact random motherboard drivers keep showing up could also mean its motherboard)

update on specs and things done so far
CPU – I9 – 9900K – passes IPDT, stops on Prime 95 when CPU reaches 100C
GPU - Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080 Ti XTREME WATERFORCE WB 11GB
Ram – Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4 3200 MHz C16GPU
Passes memtest
HDD - Adata SX8200 Pro M.2-2280 2TB PCI Express 3.0 x4 NVMe Solid State Drive - tested
PSU - 1200w corsair psu
Motherboard – Asus Maximus XI Formula

DVD/Blu ray (admittedly we haven’t tested this - unless you actually use it its unlikely cause... although anything possible now)

So tenforums thinks it’s the CPU? Did you try Sysnative?

Last edited:

Iron_Lion

Reputable
Dec 7, 2015
Ok your right, sorry i didnt think about that. I put all the old dump files in a folder called old, i put a another folder in for the argus monitor log files.

For some reason share is greyed out right now, not sure why.....

It did first start when i built the new PC it better to say that now because evbrything other than the BLU ray and PSU is new.But like i said i was getting random freeze all the time the whole time i owend my last one pc, i just gvae up trying to fix. Im not giving up this time even if i end up building the whole twice or more.

After i built the new one, i got BSOD really really often, more than the 1-3 a day i get now. I sumed it was because i didnt do a clean install of windows, i did that and it stoped for a week or two. Then i put in my ssd took out all sata hdd's and upgraded my graphics card, thats when the current problem started.

Thats why i started with sound card, i needed the uprgrade and it was one of the few things left from the last pc that caused me nothing but problems. I have also changed the power cable and the surge protector for the same reaons. Maybe the power suply to the PSU was <Mod Edit>. Its only been a day so its too early to tell or try anything else yet, although i havent had a bsod, it took a few days to bsod after i switched sound cards.

I was going to try the swaping the PSU next as its the next easiest and i have a spare but if you think i should go straight to the motherboard i will. Either way one thing i wanna try if the power cable etc doesnt work is turning it off by the switch then turning it bk on and using it, i wanna see if doing that gives me 3 days before bsod and i replicate that results. Im not sure what would indicate but it would prove the BSOD go for 3 days after i turn off power totally which to me says motherboard but i could be wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:

gardenman

Splendid
I ran the dump file through the debugger and got the following information: https://besottedindianstartortoise.htmlpasta.com/

File information:012220-11875-01.dmp (Jan 22 2020 - 05:09:34)
Bugcheck:WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR (124)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: System)
Uptime:3 Day(s), 5 Hour(s), 22 Min(s), and 43 Sec(s)

This information can be used by others to help you. I can't help you with this. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Colif

Win 11 Master
try unplugging blue ray as well then if its from old PC, unless you use it a lot. do the 3 day run thing.

I don't know, I am was just trying to save you time. Your ideas make sense, since you had problems similar to what you have now, already, Fact no way to say for sure about motherboard means it makes sense to test everything else... at some stage you have to guess. I try to avoid guessing as I don't like wasting people's money.

Fact bios info has never shown in dump files could be a clue too... although I seem to see that a lot now.

MCE (Machine check exception) AKA WHEA error.

So a line in error is CreateSiloNotification and I wondered what it meant... A silo is a container... a container is the envirnment an app exists in - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/vi...ners/about/#the-microsoft-container-ecosystem - doesn't really help, I was just curious.

searching for intelppm!MWaitIdle+0x1f leads to another case of an Asus motherboard with this error. They suggest next bit:

can you take AI Suite off the PC? If it is now, can you run Autoruns and stop these
Aug 22 2012AsIO.sysASUS Input Output driver http://www.asus.com/
Apr 09 2019AsIO2.sysAsus Input Output driver
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/autoruns
take off any Asus apps you don't use. AI Charger also known to create the BSOD.

Iron_Lion

Reputable
Dec 7, 2015
i never use the blu ray, havent for years, i just have a irational fear of not having a optical drive. I will inplug it when i swap the psu as its in a hard to get to place, i have a tower 900.

Yeah i hate guessing to, im trying to evrything i can first before random RMA's

That program is complicated enough and there enough stuff i dont undertand to scare the crap outta me. I saved what i hope is a copy of all the stuff runing, its in the one drive folder im going to try and post a link so ppl dont have to go looking for it (sorry again about that).

I did find ASIO in autorun and stoped it but couldnt ASIO2. There a lot of asus crap on there, dont seem to apps so i kinda scared to stop in case they are improtant for my motherboard, i thought i got rid of it all though...

We had a power cut today, pc was off and surge protected at the time, booted up fine other than the terror induicng double post after every power off, so this would be day one after no power and so far no BSOD...

Thanks for everyones help so far!

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AqyK8gfdzCqspE5EAjIiLr0XeTZ5?e=UmM5xg

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
My blue ray is the same, I have only ever used it to make a Win 10 ISO on DVD and then install it. My next case won't have a optical drive.

autoruns just stops things running at startup. If any program needs to run the drivers, it can start them up. It doesn't delete anything, the files are still on PC, they just don't load auto.

Iron_Lion

Reputable
Dec 7, 2015
Yeah i thinking of losing it for something asthetic like rgb visualiser or summit

So i wont crash out turning stuff off?

Sorry you might wanna read my post again i made a bunch of edits, my brain is on its last legs with pc stuff, the power cut some how killed one of my hdds in NAS so i kept leaving stuff out.

Colif

Win 11 Master
No, if any programs need the things you stop with autoruns, they can just start them. Ideally its a case nothing needs the ASio.sys files.

I would only remove my dvd drive if I knew where the spare front panel is - probably in the box. I prefer a PC you can't see - though this might be too dark
2K8LUuu.jpg

an easier shot to see
KXxraOG.jpg

Iron_Lion

Reputable
Dec 7, 2015
Day 2 and still nothing, having some trouble with my new sound card and a power cut seems to have killed the drive in my nas so now i only have one copy of the drive that was in there because ofc i am but no BSOD. I couldnt sleep last night so other than 4-5hrs its been on all day today, not counting it as day 3 though lol.

To be honest with yall, im starting to wonder how normal ppl use this stuff, i been a system builder for 15 years and im struggling to cope right now, i begning to wonder if still doing this stuff is woth it anymore. Sure i have a top class PC hooked up to a great stereo and TV and i can do all the things that implys but its becoming too much trouble and its making me feel like i dont know what i doing anymore. I dont mean to bitch and complain but all this is stressing me out, its so much money at risk of both not working or me making a mistake each time i futz with it and im hemorighing cash right now, nearly 6k for the pc granted i only payied half,300 for the new sound card now i looking at 200 for a new HDD for my NAS, the nas it self was like a buck 50 i think and i only needed it because i swtich to ssd'd,new copy of windows and thats just my IT stuff. I spent probably another grand or other crap that decided to break at the same time. The whole time this hapning i had deep family <Mod Edit> going down too. I dont get how others do this, is it my age? are skills getting worse not better? the hell is going on here?!

Last edited by a moderator:

Colif

Win 11 Master
I read 1st paragraph and thought it read you had been awake 3 days and I was going to tell you to go to sleep.

TBH II normally have a solution to a thread before page 3 and this question starting to make me wonder if I know anything too.. or what I missed. Its why I go back through thread and examine what steps we have taken, to see what I may have missed. Its why I suggested you try 2 other forums for theiir ideas.

Its why I suggested RMA motherboard as we seem to have tested everything else. New Sound Card problem could be motherboard, everything is plugged into it after all.

I know the story of who paid for PC, its one reason I am still trying to help get to bottom of this.

99% of PC made by people work. It seems to me that people who know how to make PC or use WIndows always get the problems no one else does.

That NAS has been a reoccuring theme in this thread, although I know its not physically attached to PC so I don't think it would cause any of the errors... though at this stage I just don't know. I remember at one stage I was blaming USB?

Colif

Win 11 Master
Argus doesn't seem to track as many sensors as motherboard should show.
Can you download HWINFO64 - https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/hwinfo64-download.html
when it runs, click on sensors only and run
Once next window appears, click on the bottom to right of clock icon in bottom row
this allows you to start logging (opens file explorer and asks for log name)

It might show us something as it can see PSU and other scores apart from just CPU & HDD.

I don't think I can do anything with the ARN file.

Iron_Lion

Reputable
Dec 7, 2015
I think you open the ARN one with autorun. Ill get on HWINFO right now.

Got another WHEA BSOD. Exactly 3 calendar days after shuting off the power by power cut, 4 since the whole surge protector thing. Why would it only start after 3 days from total power off then go bk to 1-3 times a day?

Is there any point in swapping the PSU or go straight to RMAing the motherboard?

Colif

Win 11 Master
I was going to ask for the sysnative info again and then PC showed me you posted on there today, so lets see what they have to say.

PC Tailor is back from his holidays so I might get his opinion on that

G man looked at the ARN file, I don't actually have autoruns on my PC so that is why I couldn't run it.

Last edited:

Iron_Lion

Reputable
Dec 7, 2015

Colif

Win 11 Master
I should have suggested that before, I should have thought of the sensors. I might help.

looking at sys info from sysnative file - Coincidence? Last 10 WHEA errors all happened at the exact same time as an APPCRASH of Origin Webhelper
I recall one of the previous errors was the LAN drivers?

28th, 23rd, 22nd, 11th, 10th, 6th, 5th (you know, I seeing a pattern here)

The last WHEA error you had that doesn't mention that process is 9th December.

I could look but did you ever try ethernet instead of wifi?

Last edited: