Question Intermitent BSOD

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Iron_Lion

Reputable
Dec 7, 2015
I keep getting random BSOD's that dont seem to be realted to anything.
It fist started after i upgraded my motherboard, memory and cpu. I didnt do a clean install of windows so i thought it was that. Done a clean install and that stopped it.

Then i upgraded my HDD to a SSD and my GPU . I also moved my last HDD to a usb enclosure. This caused random black screens and my SSD to not show up in the bios, i now uses the HDD in a NAS and i havent had any problems in days. Played red dead 2 all day for two of them, pc was on for 48 hrs at one point coping files an no issues. Today i turn it on, watch a video from the NAS and i get a WHEA uncorrectable error, it restarts and does it again 20 min later just looking at the web. Hasnt happend for 2 hrs on the 2nd restart.

I have no idea whats wrong here and its driving me nuts please help! lol

Heats doesnt seem to be a issue its a custom loop and evryting is in the low 30s to high 20s at idle. Whent he BSOD happend it was all but idle so the temps where the same.

I9-9900K
Maximus XI Formula
Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4 3200 MHz C16
Adata SX8200 Pro M.2-2280 2TB PCI Express 3.0 x4 NVMe Solid State Drive
Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080 Ti XTREME WATERFORCE WB 11GB
Creative Sound Blaster ZxR

gardenman

Splendid
I think we are wasting time on the dumps. We haven't figured it out at this point. I think I would do what Axe said: strip down the system to the basics. Use on-board video (if possible), remove the GPU, remove any custom cooling, USB devices, ETC. Use only the primary hard drive. Eliminate as many parts as possible, do a full reinstall of Windows, and if you're still having BSODs then you know it's one or more of the remaining parts.

However, here are the results: https://appraisingsmell.htmlpasta.com/

File information:012920-10156-01.dmp (Jan 28 2020 - 20:30:44)
Bugcheck:PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA (50)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: audiodg.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 20 Hour(s), 17 Min(s), and 36 Sec(s)

File information:012820-10171-01.dmp (Jan 28 2020 - 00:10:56)
Bugcheck:WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR (124)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: audiodg.exe)
Uptime:1 Day(s), 2 Hour(s), 43 Min(s), and 03 Sec(s)

This information can be used by others to help you. I can't help you with this. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Iron_Lion

Reputable
Dec 7, 2015
I agree i was just never told to stop posting them, and as its one i havent had before i thought maybe it be helpfull

Everyone keep telling me to do that but i have no onboard video as far as i know, i have no parts i can try swaping and i have no coolers for any of it other than my custom loop. My gpu and mother board are water cooled from the factory and my cpu didnt come with a cooler at all. So other than my sound card and blueray im arealdy runign it on "bear minimum" and we already figured out my sound card is not the problem. Other than starting random RMA's or someone being able to tell wich one is not working my last option is to swap the PSU and disconect the BLU ray and i have already asked if thats worth doing or going staright to RMA's.

Thanks for help so far though.

gardenman

Splendid
I understand not having other cooling and a GPU will be a problem. The only thing I can say is you might need to invest more money just to test things out. There are cheap video cards you can get (I bought one a year ago when I had to send my GTX 770 in, it worked great for the week or two that I needed it). I still have it as a backup if needed. Maybe a cheap CPU cooler too.

I don't think anyone online is going to be able to pinpoint the problem. Not from the dumps. And the only way you will be able to pinpoint it is by stripping it down and switching parts out.

Unfortunately, that may cost money. Maybe Colif or someone else will have a better idea (oops, we're posting at the same time).

Reactions: Colif

Iron_Lion

Reputable
Dec 7, 2015
Since everything is under warranty its better to rma stuff than it to buy things just to test. I was hoping to find out which part but it doesnt look like thats going to happen.

So do i try the PSU swap and unpluging the blueray or go straight to RMA my motherboard? I assume i start with my motherboard?

No idea i had on board video though.

Iron_Lion

Reputable
Dec 7, 2015
This came up on sysnative, not sure if it helpfull. they asked me about XMP. After they expained what that was i said "Ok, i cheked and XMP was off i had just set memory speed to the right speed 3200. I dont know much about the bios, i just set everything to auto and move on. I turned XMP on just to see if it helps. The ppl who made it probably know a lot more than i do, i have popular hardware so its probably been tested to death. One thing i noticed its says my ram is 3200 in one place in the bios but on the same screen it says in 1666. No idea whats thats about "

I also forgot to metnion elseir i removed origin, hopefully web helper too. Not sure it will help but ill try anyting.

Last edited:

Iron_Lion

Reputable
Dec 7, 2015
Ok i just RMA's my motherboard to amazon, they were nice enough to send the new one first. It will be here on the 11. Lets hope i got it right, if didnt ill have go to the manufacturer for the rest because amazon wont be happy if i sent back a perfectly fine motherboard. The rest will have to go bk the manufacuters.

It was time to <Mod Edit> or get off the pot i though.

Lets hope either turning on xmp fixes it because i maybe scrwed up the memory settings somehow or the new board fixes it. Pray for me!

In case it doesnt work who whats to try and guess the odds on the next thing i should try sending back? CPU, RAM or GPU?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Colif

Colif

Win 11 Master
Here is hoping. It seems like we had tested everything else, next option is CPU. I am glad g man suggested we stop with dumps as it wasn't getting us anywhere. The last 2 errors mention audiodg which ,if you didn't have a new sound card, would have made me think it was that.

Origin is unlikely to have been cause of errors but it sure seemed a clue or something as every WHEA since December 9 happened at exact same time Origin crashed. It might have sent a signal to do a function the broken part can't do and caused WHEA, as unlike what PC tailor wishes, not all WHEA are CPU errors (I wish it was so simple)

I don't understand dumps well enough to know what every code means. But I can normally get to bottom, with help of Gman's dump conversions, and other people's help. Alas your isn't so obvious.

Iron_Lion

Reputable
Dec 7, 2015
Im gunna run this on votes laughs in sleep deprived insanity thats 1 for the CPU, can we count taylor as nother for CPU? lol

Wish it wasnt CPU, ill have to take the damn board out again for that, at least the GPU is easier, and mem easier still. Just my luck * more crazed laughing*

I dont undertand any of this, this is the first time i ever got a problem that i either cant fix or say "thats you problem right there geta new one of them" I may not sound like i know much but a got great intiution. Except now.

Well gardenman wasnt wrong, i just wish i had a little more to go on, i was hoping for more to go on, this is too random for me, i like to know the problem and get after it......

Colif

Win 11 Master
Don't do anything until you get new motherboard and see if that fixes. If it doesn't, then look at something else.

I don't like uncertainty either. I much prefer it when I can tell person it is X. I wish there was a test for motherboards. Only one we have now is test everything else and if it still isn't working, this is when I (long time ago to you ) suggested it get repaired and you explained you can't so I am back to having little choice than to replace the parts we can't test.. I am not happy with this result.

Iron_Lion

Reputable
Dec 7, 2015
I wont, i have already turned XMP on though. We wont find out if that works for 3 days because of weird 3day thing, i turned it off yesterday to try and prove it 3 times in a row so 2 days from today. Im not gunna try anythign else.

Neither do i, ppl say its because of some kinda spectrum. Hell if i know.

You did all you could, you all did and im greatfull. I feel a little better about my compitance if the 3 foums of experts couldnt figure it out either. Its not your fault im the most comptinet guy in 15miles and outside that i cant be sure. I rmrb the days i went for traing years ago and found out they give IT qualifications out in this countrty to any one even if they dont know squat just to say the kids from juvie or the pin heads in rehab have remformed and learned a trade. I got so dialuisoned i left after my first 6months in collage, 2 years later i got the qualification through the door. I missed a year and half of the course and handt done any course work. And thats why i hav trust issues with the IT guys around here. You seen my PC, you seen the parts list so you can guess the price, would you trust that to somone you have no idea if they know what their doing and probably know less than you. Although most ppl know less than yall even me.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Clearly you made an impression, they probably missed the one student who knew how to turn PC on without an instruction manual and a 3 day training course :) - You probably achieved more in 6 months than the rest of the students in a few years.

The course I was doing while this thread stretched on into time, opened my eyes to how much I know compared to other people who wish computers would just go away. Things I can work out in a few minutes by playing with a chromebook took them weeks. Before end of course I was showing the Teachers how to use the computers they were meant to be using to teach class - I had never used one before the course. People are expected to know how to do everything now, on the job training is a joke.

Answering questions here can make you think normal people at least know something about computers but the audience who actually come here at least know how to search for Tom's. How many don't even know that or that Google is a search engine.

Iron_Lion

Reputable
Dec 7, 2015
Eh they hated me, i lost motivation hard when i found out any tool could get one, i ended up sleeping with half my class with chiks playing hell the next day in class,drag racing my hog againt reprobates with dirt bikes on long straight outside the building i worked and the time nealry clocked the dude secatary for putting their hand on me. It really was just given to anyone, i didnt learn anything i didnt already know going in, i worked as a IT guy for a few years and just wanted the paper to prove i knew what knew, turn out i may as well have printed it at home and had been pretty well lied to. Thats why i dont work in the industry anymore, it wasnt long after than everyone else figured the qual was worthless and i couldnt get work.

Same here, just imagine there a 17 yr old guy in the corner trying to stab a pc out of a boot loop with a switchblade and a 16yr old girl with two kids htitting on him....

I dont know anyone who doesnt already have pretty good knowing aabout pc, how they work and how to build them that knows about Toms Hardware. Knowing about this site is already more a qualifaction in IT than the one i have lmao

It might have sent a signal to do a function the broken part can't do and caused WHEA, as unlike what PC tailor wishes, not all WHEA are CPU errors (I wish it was so simple)

I agree, but CPU reports are the most common WHEA crashes.
PCIe errors are second, easiest type as they usually almost instantly indicate the cause, by its name that's already obvious.
Boot errors are third.
Any others I haven't encountered yet.

Reactions: PC Tailor

Colif

Win 11 Master
Most of the ones I have helped with didn't end up being caused by the CPU itself. Quite a few end up being something else. CPU calls the error I believe?

I don't do all BSOD here, if the post is put somewhere else I may not see it. So quite possible more WHEA errors are caused by CPU, I just see the ones who post in Win 10 area.

I only guessed it was motherboard as error kept going back to lan functions or sound, even after a new sound card was added, and op swapped between ethernet & wifi. I might be wrong. I try not to tell people to replace things unless I am sure. Its why i sent him to tenforums and sysnative.

You would have to look at the error record and interpret it properly, over time I noticed if the error is pretty much the same over and over then it's likely the CPU causing the crashes.
Sysnative has a nice guide for learning to interpret it: https://www.sysnative.com/forums/th...g-a-stop-0x124-bsod-library.27920/post-253841
If you don't want to go through the entire post, or don't have time, search for 'Table 15-9 ' which shows the structure and explanation of errors in the error record such as
Code:
Error : ICACHEL0_IRD_ERR (Proc 0 Bank 2)

The following is an assumption, I've never actually verified it because I've been unable to find the right sources and as such I could be wrong, but I suspect that all WHEA types are called by the CPU.
The most common type, the CPU error (parameter 1 = 0), known as Machine Check Exception (MCE) explains my assumption. MCE is a troubleshooting mechanism that the CPU uses to report hardware errors.

Iron_Lion

Reputable
Dec 7, 2015
I did it again. On the 3rd day eaxactly after shut it down and hit the switch on the psu after the last BSOD. 3 time in a row its been ok for two days and bsod on the 3rd after total power off. I dont know about yall but 3 times in a row is a conformided non coincidence for me.

Theres no tasks set to run every 3 days or any that have set to run enar when i get BSOD. Is this maybe something to do with fast boot?

Something about this 3 day cycle thing is the answer to this problem i know it!

Iron_Lion

Reputable
Dec 7, 2015
OK, so i switched it off at PSU again 3 days ago after a crash. It went all the next day (day 1) no crash. The next day (day 2) no crash either. This time though, i switched it off at the power supply on day 2. Today is day 3, it should have crashed hours ago and still no crash. Tomorow im gunna shut it off by the PSU again (Day two after power off yesterday). But i have pretty much figured out the cycle.

If i shut down then switch off the psu it will go for 3 calendar days eaxactly and crash on 3rd day. I have done this 3 times, same thing each time crash on day 3. This time (4th cycle)i shut it off by PSU on day 2, the day before it was due to crash, still no crash no day 3 and the day is almost over. I will try but i bet that it wont crash again ever if i keep turning it off by psu everyother day (before day 3).

What ever is causing this happens every 3rd day, regardless off up time, if i use it for 10 mins or 10hrs makes no difference, although i have noticed that MAYBE restarting a lot can make it last a little longer but im not sure, im now almost 100% sure of the 3 day cycle. im gunna need more time to prove it doesnt crash if i switch it off every other day.

This is a really unique thing, i have never come across it before, surlley somone somone where can find out what casuing this from this information because it so specific. I still think its the motherboard, nothing else is affected by PSU power off, as far as i know a CPU,GPU and mem all behave the same no matter if the power was or was not switched off on the PSU before. The motherboard clearly does, it stores information when the power is off unlike the mem and it double post's whenever the psu it swtitched off. Its the only thing in there that i can think would be afected by turning off the PSU. Am i right in thinking that? Bare in mind im self taught and that was in the days of SD mem.I need somone who knows more to check my work here.

We tested everything else as much as we could and found nothing, that points to motherboard right? Your weird, arcane cpu coding thing doesnt point to the cpu right? Im not getting any q codes from the motherboard blaming any other parts. I really cant see how it can be anything else?

Colif

Win 11 Master
The following is an assumption, I've never actually verified it because I've been unable to find the right sources and as such I could be wrong, but I suspect that all WHEA types are called by the CPU.
I don't know where I learned it, somewhere over last 4 years looking for BSOD solutions, that you are right, all WHEA errors called by CPU but not all caused by it. I say as such most times I answer WHEA questions.

I will look at that link on weekend.

Iron Lion: CPU & Motherboard so tied together that its difficult to say which it is. Are you waiting for the replacement Motherboard? At this stage only way to know is to replace motherboard and see if it still does this weird 3 day up time thing (regardless of fast startup being on or not).

I am not a hardware person really, I mostly do software. You know more about putting these things together than I do. But I will ask in another thread again (I have before as I don't like posts lasting 3 months) and post a copy of your last question

Last edited:

Iron_Lion

Reputable
Dec 7, 2015
Putting this stuff toghter to a quality where you can show the machine is the only thing im good at.

I more or less proved this, swtiching it off everyother day has stoped the BSOD. havent had one since i started testing it. Havent shut off fast boot yet though. I cant imagine psu power off afecting the CPU in any way....

I do have the new motherboard, the first replacement i was sent was damaged, there is a mark on the lataest one that seems to be from the plastic packing pressing on the board, not sure how worried to be about that. I can provide pics if it helps. Not thrilled about having to send it back a 2nd time though, took me 3 hours of dealing with amazon last time.

Glad you safe man!