Intermittant BSOD's in Win7

jaz50y

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2007
I have a 2-yr.-old home build that has worked fine until recently when I started getting random bsod's. It started when I bumped up the ram from 4g to 8g, using identical sticks. But I have eliminated all the possible memory issues as problems. I have set all timings and voltages per the recommendations of the manufacturer. Memtest86+ shows no errors after 9 passes. Tried resetting and moving. At mfr suggestion I also adjusted the cpu and northbridge video voltages (motherboard has built-in video, which what I use). I was then stable for a week, and suddenly have had 3 more crashes. Sysinfo and Whocrashed reports for these crashes:

Processor AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 B45 Processor
Memory (RAM) 8.00 GB
Graphics ATI Radeon HD 4200
Primary hard disk 32GB Free (98GB Total)
Windows 7 Home Premium
System
Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
Model GA-MA785GM-US2H
Total amount of system memory 8.00 GB RAM
System type 64-bit operating system
Number of processor cores 4

On Sat 1/26/2013 3:53:42 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\memory.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ndis.sys (ndis!NdisAllocateTimerObject+0x2F6)
Bugcheck code: 0xD1 (0x41, 0x2, 0x0, 0xFFFFF880014D9226)
Error: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\ndis.sys
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NDIS 6.20 driver
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode driver attempted to access pageable memory at a process IRQL that was too high.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.

On Fri 1/25/2013 2:24:19 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\012513-47658-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x7EFC0)
Bugcheck code: 0x3B (0xC000001D, 0xFFFFF800039AAB12, 0xFFFFF88003911030, 0x0)
Error: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that an exception happened while executing a routine that transitions from non-privileged code to privileged code.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Fri 1/25/2013 5:39:39 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\012513-22791-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x7EF90)
Bugcheck code: 0x1E (0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0)
Error: KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode program generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

Solution

-verify your system files by running cmd.exe as a admin
and run sfc.exe /scannow

-I would also swap your new memory into a different memory banks in the hopes that if it is a memory chip issue you will move memory issue to user memory space rather than kernel memory space to prevent future bugchecks.
- process was wifi2hifi-stat tried to read kernel memory at a bad address 0x41

- this bugcheck was in ndis but caused by sending a Datagram. give me a minute to see what else I can find

edit: reduce CPU speed by 100MHz
reduce memory speed from 1066 to 800mhz and see if you still hit problems

voltage on memory should be ok at 1.9 v, cpu...

kajunchicken

Honorable
Oct 13, 2012
There are a lot of things that it could be. One of your RAM sticks could be going bad, try running a RAM checker. Another thing could be your PSU. If it is cheap PSU it may have a short somewhere that is causing the computer to shut itself off. Otherwise, it is probably software related. Can you think of anything you installed recently that may be causing issues?

-verify your system files by running cmd.exe as a admin
and run sfc.exe /scannow

-I would also swap your new memory into a different memory banks in the hopes that if it is a memory chip issue you will move memory issue to user memory space rather than kernel memory space to prevent future bugchecks.
- process was wifi2hifi-stat tried to read kernel memory at a bad address 0x41

- this bugcheck was in ndis but caused by sending a Datagram. give me a minute to see what else I can find

edit: reduce CPU speed by 100MHz
reduce memory speed from 1066 to 800mhz and see if you still hit problems

voltage on memory should be ok at 1.9 v, cpu was 100MHz overclocked.
also debugger indicated CPU voltage was 1.0v might want to check that it is not too low. (I would check this first if the reading is correct)
you might want to run driver verifier on wifi2hifi-stat.sys and make sure it is not corrupting memory.

Solution

jaz50y

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2007
sfc found no problems.

I haven't swapped the sticks, saving that to see if I still have problems :ange: Did the other steps:

■Reduced the CPU speed. In the bios, it was set to "Normal", which is 3100mhz. Lowered it to 3000 manually.
■Dropped the memory speed to 800mhz. This caused the timings to change in the bios, but I manually restored them to 5-5-5-15, which was recommended for 1066. Only I am not sure if these timings do apply to 800mhz.
■The CPU voltage was set to "Auto" which seemed to be 1.40v. Just to be sure, I bumped it manually to 1.425.
■I never would have thought of wifi2hifi. Just to be sure, I uninstalled it, ran ccleaner, and reinstalled it. It is a little app that acts as a server of any audio output of the pc to an ios device. Hope it is not a problem, cause it's cool.

Now waiting to see if things have improved....

jaz50y

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2007
hmm. After reinstalling wifi2hifi, the driver no longer seems to exist, tho the program is working fine. On the other hand I haven't had a crash since the last one.

jaz50y

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2007
After several days with no problems, I tried raising the CPU back to 3.1, and the RAM to 1066. Within two hours I had a bsod. So I put the CPU back to 3.0, and for two days have had no trouble. If I get a full week, I will consider the problem solved. Note: I did get a Chrome crash while using Wifi2Hifi, but I am pretty sure that was a Flash problem - Flash and Chrome really don't play well together.

TRENDING THREADS