Intermittant mobo beep

rhys

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2002

Hello,

I have an home-assembledt ASUS CUV4X-D mobo running two P3 CPUs with 1
gig of RAM. Very solid rig, even for nearly four years old. Few
problems of a hardware nature.

I run W2K with the latest service packs and the latest Award BIOS
upgrades. I haven't upgraded this machine for a few months, but I run
extensive AV and other security measures. This machine is not
overclocked, nor have I opened it for some time.

For the last couple of days, I am hearing a single, short beep of the
type I associate with the bios/POST process. I am using Motherboard
Monitor and all sensors are under 40 C and no obvious problems are
occuring with the processing...no blue screens or other halts.

I can source information that tells me how to interpret start-up
"beeps", but a single, once-hourly type of beep is new to me.

My only idea is that the lithium CMOS button battery may be on the way
out, although I estimate the rig's been off maybe 20 days out of the
last nearly four years.

Any thoughts? I had planned to install a wireless router today, but
this may be more important.

Thanks,

R.

jad

a fan may not be keeping up with a fan rpm alarm threshold setting. hardware
monitoring in the bios

"rhys" <rhys@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I have an home-assembledt ASUS CUV4X-D mobo running two P3 CPUs with 1
> gig of RAM. Very solid rig, even for nearly four years old. Few
> problems of a hardware nature.
>
> I run W2K with the latest service packs and the latest Award BIOS
> upgrades. I haven't upgraded this machine for a few months, but I run
> extensive AV and other security measures. This machine is not
> overclocked, nor have I opened it for some time.
>
> For the last couple of days, I am hearing a single, short beep of the
> type I associate with the bios/POST process. I am using Motherboard
> Monitor and all sensors are under 40 C and no obvious problems are
> occuring with the processing...no blue screens or other halts.
>
> I can source information that tells me how to interpret start-up
> "beeps", but a single, once-hourly type of beep is new to me.
>
> My only idea is that the lithium CMOS button battery may be on the way
> out, although I estimate the rig's been off maybe 20 days out of the
> last nearly four years.
>
> Any thoughts? I had planned to install a wireless router today, but
> this may be more important.
>
> Thanks,
>
> R.

JohnS

Do you hear any sudden hard drive action? You might
run chkdsk c: /f and see if any bad spots or hangs. I
think CMOS is good for a bit longer than 4 years, and
so is the mobo .. but ... open the case, and look at the
electrolytics up near the cpu. You are looking for one
with a swollen top that is stained brownish. If you
see one, time for new mobo. I think you have an ASUS
mobo of just the right age for the China Capacitor
failure. I RMA'd every single ASUS mobo from that
time that I had in my labs .. all capacitor failure.
Another symptom of that is intermittant rebooting for
no apparent reason. Hmm .. I'd almost make a money
bet on that one.

johns

rhys

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2002

On Wed, 6 Apr 2005 12:16:21 -0700, "johns" <johns123xxx@xxxmoscow.com>
wrote:

>Do you hear any sudden hard drive action?

No, not that I can detect.

You might
>run chkdsk c: /f and see if any bad spots or hangs.

No evidence of that, but I can try it on all three HDs.

>think CMOS is good for a bit longer than 4 years, and
>so is the mobo .. but ... open the case, and look at the
>electrolytics up near the cpu. You are looking for one
>with a swollen top that is stained brownish. If you
>see one, time for new mobo. I think you have an ASUS
>mobo of just the right age for the China Capacitor
>failure. I RMA'd every single ASUS mobo from that
>time that I had in my labs .. all capacitor failure.

OK, I can do that easily enough as the case covers come off.

>Another symptom of that is intermittant rebooting for
>no apparent reason. Hmm .. I'd almost make a money
>bet on that one.

No reboots. Just a lone, short "beep" every 90 minutes or so. It's new
to me, that's for sure.

Thanks for your thoughts.

R.

On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 17:12:08 -0400, rhys <rhys@nospam.com> wrote:

>No reboots. Just a lone, short "beep" every 90 minutes or so. It's new
>to me, that's for sure.

Check your PSU voltages.

rhys

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2002

On Wed, 6 Apr 2005 08:58:07 -0700, "JAD" <kapasitor@earthcharter.net>
wrote:

>a fan may not be keeping up with a fan rpm alarm threshold setting. hardware
>monitoring in the bios.

The fans and temps are handled by Motherboard Monitor, which has
worked flawlessly in all the versions I've run, and which loads with
every boot.

The warning I've set for MBM is a two-tone, "British ambulance" sort
of frequency, whereas the "lone beep" is very similar, if not the same
as, the power-on beep I get the once-a-week or so I reboot the
machine.

Thanks for thinking about it, though.

R.

>"rhys" <rhys@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have an home-assembledt ASUS CUV4X-D mobo running two P3 CPUs with 1
>> gig of RAM. Very solid rig, even for nearly four years old. Few
>> problems of a hardware nature.
>>
>> I run W2K with the latest service packs and the latest Award BIOS
>> upgrades. I haven't upgraded this machine for a few months, but I run
>> extensive AV and other security measures. This machine is not
>> overclocked, nor have I opened it for some time.
>>
>> For the last couple of days, I am hearing a single, short beep of the
>> type I associate with the bios/POST process. I am using Motherboard
>> Monitor and all sensors are under 40 C and no obvious problems are
>> occuring with the processing...no blue screens or other halts.
>>
>> I can source information that tells me how to interpret start-up
>> "beeps", but a single, once-hourly type of beep is new to me.
>>
>> My only idea is that the lithium CMOS button battery may be on the way
>> out, although I estimate the rig's been off maybe 20 days out of the
>> last nearly four years.
>>
>> Any thoughts? I had planned to install a wireless router today, but
>> this may be more important.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> R.

jad

no actually MBM5 MONITORS your fans does not control them. The fan headers
on the mainboard and the bios hardware management controls them. There are
settings in the bios for alarms ,or are you saying you have turned them all
off?

> On Wed, 6 Apr 2005 08:58:07 -0700, "JAD" <kapasitor@earthcharter.net>
> wrote:
>
>>a fan may not be keeping up with a fan rpm alarm threshold setting.
>>hardware
>>monitoring in the bios.
>
> The fans and temps are handled by Motherboard Monitor, which has
> worked flawlessly in all the versions I've run, and which loads with
> every boot.
>
> The warning I've set for MBM is a two-tone, "British ambulance" sort
> of frequency, whereas the "lone beep" is very similar, if not the same
> as, the power-on beep I get the once-a-week or so I reboot the
> machine.
>
> Thanks for thinking about it, though.
>
> R.
>>

>>"rhys" <rhys@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I have an home-assembledt ASUS CUV4X-D mobo running two P3 CPUs with 1
>>> gig of RAM. Very solid rig, even for nearly four years old. Few
>>> problems of a hardware nature.
>>>
>>> I run W2K with the latest service packs and the latest Award BIOS
>>> upgrades. I haven't upgraded this machine for a few months, but I run
>>> extensive AV and other security measures. This machine is not
>>> overclocked, nor have I opened it for some time.
>>>
>>> For the last couple of days, I am hearing a single, short beep of the
>>> type I associate with the bios/POST process. I am using Motherboard
>>> Monitor and all sensors are under 40 C and no obvious problems are
>>> occuring with the processing...no blue screens or other halts.
>>>
>>> I can source information that tells me how to interpret start-up
>>> "beeps", but a single, once-hourly type of beep is new to me.
>>>
>>> My only idea is that the lithium CMOS button battery may be on the way
>>> out, although I estimate the rig's been off maybe 20 days out of the
>>> last nearly four years.
>>>
>>> Any thoughts? I had planned to install a wireless router today, but
>>> this may be more important.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> R.

rhys

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2002

On Wed, 6 Apr 2005 14:49:55 -0700, "JAD" <kapasitor@earthcharter.net>
wrote:

>no actually MBM5 MONITORS your fans does not control them.

I realize this.

The fan headers
>on the mainboard and the bios hardware management controls them. There are
>settings in the bios for alarms ,or are you saying you have turned them all
>off?

I certainly haven't changed them...ever. I suppose I can check the
alarm settings in the BIOS and I will post the results.

It is possible dust or a verging-on-fail fan on the CPU or in the PSU
might trigger a purely BIOS alarm, but I have temp, voltage and fan
speed parameters set in MBM and nothing's being triggered there.

Which may not mean anything, I know, if the BIOS is set for a "closer
tolerance".

Will post back with numbers. Thanks.

R.

rhys

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2002

On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 15:27:31 -0700, Aldwyn Edain <ae@invalid.email>
wrote:

>On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 17:12:08 -0400, rhys <rhys@nospam.com> wrote:
>

>>No reboots. Just a lone, short "beep" every 90 minutes or so. It's new
>>to me, that's for sure.
>
>Check your PSU voltages.

They seem fine, or at least within the normal variances.

Case CPU Sensor 3
Core 0 Core 1 +3.3 +5.00 +12.00 -12.00 -5.00 Fan 1
Fan 2 Fan 3
2005-04-06 11:43:38 PM 1003 MHz 31° C 32° C 0° C
1.74 V 1.73 V 3.31 V 4.95 V 11.86 V -2.22 V -1.20 V 3409 RPM
3479 RPM 0 RPM
2005-04-06 11:43:08 PM 1003 MHz 31° C 32° C 0° C
1.74 V 1.74 V 3.31 V 4.97 V 11.92 V -2.29 V -1.23 V 3375 RPM
3479 RPM 0 RPM
2005-04-06 11:42:38 PM 1003 MHz 31° C 32° C 0° C
1.76 V 1.74 V 3.31 V 4.97 V 11.92 V -2.29 V -1.23 V 3409 RPM
3443 RPM 0 RPM
2005-04-06 11:42:08 PM 1003 MHz 30° C 32° C 0° C
1.76 V 1.76 V 3.31 V 4.97 V 11.92 V -2.29 V -1.23 V 3409 RPM
3479 RPM 0 RPM
2005-04-06 11:41:38 PM 1003 MHz 30° C 32° C 0° C
1.76 V 1.74 V 3.31 V 4.97 V 11.92 V -2.29 V -1.23 V 3375 RPM
3479 RPM 0 RPM
2005-04-06 11:41:08 PM 1003 MHz 30° C 33° C 0° C
1.74 V 1.76 V 3.31 V 4.97 V 11.92 V -2.29 V -1.23 V 3409 RPM
3443 RPM 0 RPM
2005-04-06 11:40:38 PM 1003 MHz 30° C 34° C 0° C
1.74 V 1.76 V 3.31 V 4.97 V 11.92 V -2.35 V -1.23 V 3375 RPM
3479 RPM 0 RPM
2005-04-06 11:40:08 PM 1003 MHz 30° C 34° C 0° C
1.74 V 1.76 V 3.31 V 4.97 V 11.98 V -2.16 V -1.23 V 3375 RPM
3479 RPM 0 RPM
2005-04-06 11:39:38 PM 1003 MHz 29° C 35° C 0° C
1.76 V 1.76 V 3.31 V 4.95 V 11.98 V -2.29 V -1.23 V 3409 RPM
3479 RPM 0 RPM

No weird beeps during this four-minute sample. Please note the -12.00V
column should read -12.22V, not -2.22V.

R.