Question INTERMITTENT "A Disk read error occurred Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart" at boot (SSD - Win 10)

mooch91

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2013
Hi all,

Have had the subject error appear intermittently but frequently (10-20% of the time) on my Windows 10 system. Hitting Ctrl+Alt+Del usually brings it up to a proper boot.

The drive was initially installed when I was running a Win 7 Pro system. I cloned an existing 120GB SSD with Macrium Reflect when I installed this one, then upgraded to Win 10 Pro in early 2023.

I can't say exactly how long the problem has persisted, but I think it has been happening back to the point when the drive was originally installed.

CHKDSK has not revealed any issues, nor have any other HD utilities. I did have an issue with a laggy Windows 10 boot which I believe I have traced to a bad SATA cable. I've changed the cable and switched to another motherboard connection and that has resolved.

Drive is configured as IDE and not AHCI in the BIOS. Thinking it might be cycling through other boot devices, I've turned others off in the BIOS. I believe BIOS is the latest available version.

Can anyone help with troubleshooting?

ASUS M5A88-M Micro ATX motherboard
AMD FX8350
Corsair CX430 430W bronze power supply
G.Skill Ripjaws X 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR3-1866 CL9 Memory
OCZ Storage Solutions Trion 150 Series 480GB 2.5" 7mm SATA III Internal Solid State Drive TRN150-25SAT3-480G

Hi all,

Have had the subject error appear intermittently but frequently (10-20% of the time) on my Windows 10 system. Hitting Ctrl+Alt+Del usually brings it up to a proper boot.

The drive was initially installed when I was running a Win 7 Pro system. I cloned an existing 120GB SSD with Macrium Reflect when I installed this one, then upgraded to Win 10 Pro in early 2023.

I can't say exactly how long the problem has persisted, but I think it has been happening back to the point when the drive was originally installed.

CHKDSK has not revealed any issues, nor have any other HD utilities. I did have an issue with a laggy Windows 10 boot which I believe I have traced to a bad SATA cable. I've changed the cable and switched to another motherboard connection and that has resolved.

Drive is configured as IDE and not AHCI in the BIOS. Thinking it might be cycling through other boot devices, I've turned others off in the BIOS. I believe BIOS is the latest available version.

Can anyone help with troubleshooting?

ASUS M5A88-M Micro ATX motherboard
AMD FX8350
Corsair CX430 430W bronze power supply
G.Skill Ripjaws X 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR3-1866 CL9 Memory
OCZ Storage Solutions Trion 150 Series 480GB 2.5" 7mm SATA III Internal Solid State Drive TRN150-25SAT3-480G

Unplug the hdd see if it makes a diff.