[SOLVED] Intermittent black screen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 3, 2020
I've been having this problem for a while now, but whenever I solve it, it keeps coming back after weeks, days or even hours.
The screen goes black randomly and I get the "no signal" message on my monitor, but it does not come back after rebooting, which means I need to use the integrated Graphics Card. It doesn't necessarily happen during intensive GPU use like gaming or 3D rendering, it seems completely random, sometimes even at the user login screen at startup.
Sometimes it's all working fine until I shut it down, and on the next day when I boot the PC the same issue comes back.

Last time it happened, not even the integrated GPU was working after rebooting constantly (which usually does the trick), so I had to remove the dedicated graphics card, then the integrated "came back to life".
I'm having a hard time identifying the source of this problem. Not sure if the issue lies with the graphics card, PSU or any other component.

What I've tried so far:
-Reseating (doesn't work every time);
-Reinstalling GPU drivers using Display Driver Uninstaller (works every time but the problem still comes back after a while);
-Using different cables and different ports (HDMI and Display Port);
Edit: another useful information, even when I get the "no signal" message on my monitor, sound is still coming out of the headphones like everything else is running fine.

Here are my specs:
-Dell XPS 8920 (desktop)
-GTX 1050 TI (not sure which brand and it came with no shroud).
-Driver version: 445.75
-Integrated GPU: Intel Graphics HD 630
-Intel Core i7-7700 @ 3.60GHz
-Motherboard: Dell Inc. 0VHXCD (U3E1), Bios 1.0.18 07/11/2018
-Samsung 16GB(2x8GB), DDR4-2400 (1200 MHz)
-PSU: Dell AC460AM-01 460W.
-Windows 10 build 18362

Last edited:
Solution
I used device manager to uninstall the driver every time it happened (except for the 2 last times when I used DDU), and I never saw any warning sign. A while ago I gave up on the 1050 TI and started to use just the integrated GPU, even though the TI was still plugged in the mobo. I had no problems whatsoever except for some very occasional blinks (like 2 seconds). The real issue only returned when I tried to use the 1050 TI again.
I'll stay with the integrated for a while again to verify what happens then, thanks for the help.
If everything turns out ok without the 1050 TI do you know what the issue is?
It might help if you could identify the graphics card. Try running GPU-Z with the 1050 TI installed. GPU-Z has a Lookup button...
Yes, it is mechanical, but how can a failing HDD cause this? Not questioning your answer, just curious.
It just could be causing your system to stop responding and lockup. Download and run a program called "Hard Disk Sentinel". It will tell you if your drive is healthy.

eventlog-win10b.png

Apr 3, 2020
It just could be causing your system to stop responding and lockup. Download and run a program called "Hard Disk Sentinel". It will tell you if your drive is healthy.

eventlog-win10b.png
Everything is 100% and it says
"The hard disk status is PERFECT. Problematic or weak sectors were not found and there are no spin up or data transfer errors.
No actions needed."

Edit: another useful information, even when I get the "no signal" message on my monitor, sound is still coming out of the headphones like everything else is running fine.

I don't always check it, but I recently ran a stress test on the GPU while looking at the temperature and it was fine. I could redo the test to make sure though.
If you ran a stress test on the GPU and the temperatures were fine, then the paste is not drying out. Have you checked Device Manager for any yellow warning signs? The problem could be your power supply or faulty wires to the GPU. The only other thing i could suggest is to run the computer using the integrated graphics for a time to see if you still get black screens without the 1050 TI.

Apr 3, 2020
If you ran a stress test on the GPU and the temperatures were fine, then the paste is not drying out. Have you checked Device Manager for any yellow warning signs? The problem could be your power supply or faulty wires to the GPU. The only other thing i could suggest is to run the computer using the integrated graphics for a time to see if you still get black screens without the 1050 TI.
I used device manager to uninstall the driver every time it happened (except for the 2 last times when I used DDU), and I never saw any warning sign. A while ago I gave up on the 1050 TI and started to use just the integrated GPU, even though the TI was still plugged in the mobo. I had no problems whatsoever except for some very occasional blinks (like 2 seconds). The real issue only returned when I tried to use the 1050 TI again.
I'll stay with the integrated for a while again to verify what happens then, thanks for the help.

It might help if you could identify the graphics card. Try running GPU-Z with the 1050 TI installed. GPU-Z has a Lookup button to identify your card.

graphics_card_model_2.png

Solution
Apr 3, 2020
When I placed the 1050 TI back, I couldn't get any signal from the integrated nor the dedicated GPU. I had to remove it so the integrated GPU could work again.
It's not on warranty anymore. I haven't called them yet because I feared they would just say "send the computer to us", and with the ongoing COVID-19 situation and the work I'm currently doing that is not an option.
But maybe they can help, so I'll try that as soon as possible :)

Status
Not open for further replies.