Question Intermittent Boot Failure and OS Drive is not Drive 0 - Connected?

Jan 1, 2021
In 2016, I purchased an enhanced Asus M32AD with Intel i5, 500GB SSD, 1TB HD, GTX760 card. The PSU is rated 480W (I think that's an upgrade). Recently, I replaced the MoBo & CPU with Asus Prime B450M MoBo and Ryzen 5 2600X. I also installed a 1TB M2 system drive, installed Windows 10 from USB and formatted the original OS drive (which had been temporarily disconnected). Now I have two issues and I do not know if they may be connected.

Booting with the new MoBo is very slow. A cursor blinks for several seconds, then I see the Asus Boot logo, then it goes blank and after a few more seconds the Asus boot logo reappears, after a few more seconds, the Windows logo appears and it starts quickly enough from there on. Could this have something to do with the CPU not having onboard graphics like the old Intel? But occasionally it does not boot from cold, or in the process of restarting. In that case, I hear the usual mechanical noises but no cursor and no boot - Just a blank screen. So far it has always booted OK on the second attempt (fingers crossed). It doesn't beep or give any clue why it does not boot. Does the Asus give any diagnostic clues? (I had Dells before and the LED's were very useful. )

I now have the old SSD OS drive is in SATA 1 and I have a 1TB data-drive in SATA 2. The new M.2 drive is in the M2 slot (SATA 0?). Once I am booted, Windows seems to start and run fine. But in Disk Manager, I see that the M2 OS drive is "Disk 2", the old OS drive is "Disk 0" and the old data-drive is "Disk 1". I have always seen the OS drive as "Disk 0". Does this bear any relation to the intermittent boot failure? How do I fix it? Or is it a completely unrelated issue?

Or is it a sign of imminent PSU failure? It's about the only part I haven't replaced :)

Any help appreciated
Sean

Jan 1, 2021
  1. Please show us a screencap of the Disk Management window
  2. What specific make/model drives?

Disk 0 is 500GB Mushkin SSD MKNSSDTR500GB
Disk 1 is Toshiba 1TB HDD DT01ACA100
Disk 2 is Crucial 1TB M2 CT1000P5SSD8

I would attach a screenshot if I could just figure out how (not obvious enough for me)..

Jan 1, 2021
At what point did you do a full clean install on a single drive in this system?
After a few weeks of running the new MoBo with original drives I disconnected the old drives, installed the new M2 drive and installed Win10 on it from USB (from MediaCreation Tool). With Win10 installed and running, I reconnected the old drive C: and formatted it. I then reconnected the old D: drive.

Jan 1, 2021
What does boot sequence in BIOS look like?
Is the new SSD at first position in boot sequence?

Is boot from network enabled? If yes, then you should probably disable that.
1st in sequence is the M2 drive
Looked but have not seen any reference to network boot
But the Asus logo is now appearing just once before booting
As for the drive numbering (Disk 0, 1 etc.) I noticed that on my son's Asus ROG laptop the boot drive is Disk 1 and the data is disk 0. Is it irrelevant then?
Just now it took 2 retries to boot - 1st time that has happened - I've had this happen on older PC's and ended up having to replace the PSU - Could that be the issue?

Jan 1, 2021
Hi - I don't know if anyone is still there after all this time. I have tried several things but the boot failure has gone from intermittent to every time - Sometimes needing 5-10 power cycles to get it to boot to the Asus logo. If it gets that far it loads Windows OK. So far:
I updated the BIOS to 3002 but it made no difference.
I popped the battery and shorted the CLRTC pins - No change.
Tried it with only the OS drive connected - No change
I noticed that I had more luck booting if I disconnected all peripherals. And since the situation was deteriorating I changed the PSU, for a Corsair CV550 which I figure should be more than capable. But that made no difference. Now I'm completely stumped and concerned that my only PC could die any day.
Any more suggestions:
Bad memory?
Defective MoBo?
?