Intermittent booting - POST, No BIOS

vandermere

Reputable
May 12, 2014
Kind of a complicated issue I was hoping to get some help on.

As the title says, over the last couple months or so my PC has sometimes not booted. It's gotten worse as time goes on and now works about one in ever y 10 tries. It sounded like a PSU issue originally but I've replaced that after finding out the original was dead and still have the same issues. I've gone through the whole Perform These Steps sticky and no luck.

Setup:
EVGA 850 BQ PSU - New, but acting the same as old one that died after having this boot problem for a while.
Gigabyte GA-B85-HD3 mobo with Core i5 4460 3.2 Ghz and Intel HD 4600 graphics - Installed it myself but haven't had any issues in the last year or so since I installed it.
2 4GB stick of DDR3 RAM - I've tried these with one stick in all four slots and get the same results.
Seagate 1TB hybrid drive for booting - I also have a second drive for data but have it unhiiked for testing
CPU cooler and fan
2 case fans
And a few items I normally have plugged in but took out for testing - a Radeon R9 290, optical drive and front-side USB and card reader

I start the PC up (usually with the power switch but I've tried jumping the pins too) and it sometimes powers up for about one second then shuts off and powers up completely. When that happens I get the same behavior when shutting it down. Other times it powers up completely. I usually hear a click from the vicinity of the PCI slots followed by a single beep (That's POST saying everything's OK so far, right?) After that the boot process just stops. The monitor will say No Signal (usually), I don't see the boot screen for the mobo, I can't get in to BIOS.

Sometimes the monitor powers on, shows the Acer logo and then drops to No Signal. Sometimes it's like it never got a signal in the first place. Sometimes it will show the logo, act like it's about to work and then restart and loop like that seemingly forever. And of course every once in a while everything boots just fine. Makes it frustrating to troubleshoot, though, when I can't reliably restart the system. So right now I'm a little baffled (though happy to have it running at the moment). Any genius out there who can point out what might be going on? Thanks in advance!

Update: It seems much more likely to boot if allowed to sit for 15-20 minutes after powering off but the monitor sometimes acts as if it's unplugged and reattached; I get the Windows remove and add hardware tones.

vandermere

Reputable
May 12, 2014

Yeah, sounding like a motherboard issue to me too. Just hoping not, you know? :)
Bios is up to date, at least according to HWInfo and the Gigabyte support page.